What do you do in the afternoons after testing?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by loves2teach, Mar 27, 2007.

1. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2007

Hi,

I am stumped as to what to do in the afternoons after testing. We have been told we are not allowed to review (normally I play "fun" review games). We are supposed to teach new material.

So, what do you do?

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 27, 2007

We were told not to teach at all in the afternoons. There were no tests, no homework, etc. Everything was centered around testing. We watched a few movies (I have a ton of old Disney movies, we watched "No Deposit, No Return", "20,000 Leagues", and "The Ugly Dauschand". The kids worked on a drawing for a local art contest, and we did some outside activities. (Project WILD) I tried to keep it fairly structured so that they stayed quieter (we had a class next door that tested longer than us.
    I also had them doing little cleanup chores around the room (organizing books, dusting shelves, etc) they love doing that.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 27, 2007

I teach new material some of the time and review other times. When i do teach new material, I try to bring in activities as much as possible rather than just reading and discussing. It is also great if I can get them outdoors for a lesson. One year I bought party sized things of bubbles. We went outside, paired up, blew bubbles, and calculated the average number of bubbles from each blow, each person, etc. Also talked about median and mode. They loved it.

5. Ali

Ali Companion

Mar 27, 2007

We did fun stuff to keep it light after a long morning of testing. Over the first three days we did an egg-drop activity where the kids teamed up to create a parachute to deliver their egg safely to the ground from a height of about 15 ft. They loved it. On the other two days we had an internet scavenger hunt competition where the students teamed up to try to complete the most hunts. We got all of the hunts from www.educationworld.com. There are tons of them there.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 27, 2007

Since we didn't test on math until Thursday and Friday of testing, we were allowed to review Monday through Wednesday. I pulled out my literacy and math games too. Science and Social Studies are great to catch up during this week (we don't test for those). Or, you could do some type of craft. I normally don't do lot's of different crafts in my room (unless it's tied to a framework), so this was a chance to do a few of those.

7. CmsTigerGuy

CmsTigerGuy Rookie

Mar 27, 2007

We typically take the afternoons off. If the weather permits, we'll go outside for a bit, and different teachers will have different activities going on in their rooms--games, movies, and what-not.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 27, 2007

If you have to teach new materials, why not have it involve something interactive, crafty, or experimental?