what do you do in small group reading?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by firstgradeteach, Sep 24, 2008.

1. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Sep 24, 2008

Hi! I already posted this on the elementary forum but thought I would double dip for ideas!

I want to "beef" up my small group time. I feel like I'm not doing all that I can.

Right now this is typically what I do:
    Call back names of students. They get out the last book they read with me right away and whisper read it at their own pace. I tune in and listen to a certain student or all of the students.

I try to do something word study skill related next but hardly ever get to it due to limited time.

I usually introduce the book and set up conversations for prior knowledge. We also do some kind of book introduction like a book walk or something.

Finally we start the book. I model comprehension strategies while we read.

Finally I make the students sit on their book. We try to retell the book as a group (excluding myself). I remind them to try to remember connections they made etc. while reading the book to help them remember.

Once they have told all of the information that they can remember they get their book back out. We flip page by page of the book and the student who remembered the event gets to hit the easy button. We discuss details that they forgot and how the can try to remember it the next time.

Then they take home the book and read it again. If needed they buddy read the book after group before taking it home.

What do you do during small group reading? Do you group by DRA level or skill level or both?

Also what do you do during the each group? I would love to have example of what you do and about how long you work on each item.

Thank you in advance!

3. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2008

Our groups are built into the curriculum so we do have a plan through them, but I have added stuff....

first the kids come back to my table. I pass out the high frequency words printed on construction paper. I have them cut them out. We talk about the words. THey trace the letters, they sound them out, we drill and practice with them--a bit a day.

Then I' ll pass out the book for the week. I read it to them the first day or so then they read it--either taking turns, or all at once and I'll tune into one at a time.

The curriculum has worksheets dealing the the stories and it also has some extra support materials. Sometimes I use them sometimes we just read the story again.

I also have file folders for each child. INside the folder I wrote the alphabet on those small sticky notes--one letter per sticky. They are in order. I ask them to find the letter that makes the buh sound. The kids pick up the b sticky note. We'll do this to make words. This year I want the kids to lead this activity.

Thats what I do...

4. maroki

maroki Comrade

Sep 24, 2008

We also have a curriculum that provides a group plan for us to use, but I've added some extra things to it.

They start by reading a familiar story with a partner; these are all stories we've read together as a group already.

After the partner reading, we do an alphabet chant. It matches up with our words/letters/poems of the units that go along, but it reinforces the alphabet and the sounds. It goes "A as in ant, a a a. B as in bat, b b b, etc."

After alphabet chant we sit at the rug and go over flashcards. We review letter sound flashcards for all the letters we've covered already during the year, and we review our "tricky" (sight) words that correspond to our units.

Then we read our decoding sheets, which is a sheet that reviews the sounds, practices blending words, reviews our tricky words, etc. We also read accompanying short stories and work on comprehension and vocabulary stemming from the stories. I pick a vocabulary word from the story and we have a discussion and fill out a vocabulary paper, which includes the word, definition, sentence, and a picture.

We end by reading a read-aloud that is loosely related to our current letter/theme, still working on comprehension.

The whole reading block is about 90 minutes.

5. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Sep 24, 2008

6. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Sep 24, 2008

Maroki-

Thanks for your response! I love your idea of chants! Do you know any good resources for chants? My kids would love that!

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 24, 2008

Ok, so you all ARE reviewing the ABC's??? I have 3 students who need that. I have been trying during word study, but not much luck, as the time is so short each day. We have just enough time to go over the words and spell and chant them. Also, for one of the kids the transfer doesn't seem to happen between spelling the words and recognizing them.

I am going to do more letter/sound stuff during reading and not just during word study.

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2008

The first three weeks are all kindergarten review--abc's and 123's.

Our one book a week is for their groups. We do one story in the anthology and one story in small groups. On Friday we do a fluency test on the book.

9. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Sep 25, 2008

We use the Harcourt Basal for our Reading curriculum. So a lot of my plans are based on that, but I add to it as well. I have 4 groups. One is Title I group which works with the Title I teacher so I dont do anything with them except whole group activities in the morning. I then have 3 groups that I work with. 2 groups are kind of on level right now and 1 group is above level. Here is what I do for my on level group
    Mon and Tues- We read their decodable books which are books that come with the Basal and are copied so they highlight words in there that correspond to their spelling. For example, this weeks spelling is short a words so they would highlight all the short a words. We usually echo read, bump read, and round robin read within those 2 days. They are then introduced to their story in the Basal. They make predictions and we read it just like the decodables. On Wed. they have a Leveled Reader book and we read it. I will also then start asking them questions about their story in the Basal. On Thursdays, they read the story to me one more time because their test is on Friday, and I have them do some type of writing in their journal that goes along with the story. During the week they also make word cards with their sight words on it from the story.

For my higher group I am using tradebooks instead of decodables because the decodables are way too easy for them. I usually have them focus more on the tradebooks than I do the story in the Basal because the story in the Basal is very easy for them too. The only reason I even have them read the story in the Basal is because each story has a certain focus skill, and I feel that even if theyre reading on a 4th grade level, they still need to learn 1st grade skills. But I do the same thing with tradebooks as I do with decodables except for highlighting words. They always make predictions and I always ask questions. I also have them do journals on Thursday as well. Once we get more into a routine I am going to try and do some graphic organizers with them.

Hope this helps!

10. maroki

maroki Comrade

Sep 25, 2008

I don't off the top of my head, sorry. Our ABC chant comes with our reading program, and it matches up with all the unit poems that we do.

But, if you match up a picture/word with each letter of the alphabet, you could make up your own chant! You could print off a picture to put with each letter, and make those pictures into your own chant.

A as in ant, A A A

B as in bat, B B B

C as in cat, C C C

D as in dog, D D D

etc.

Good luck!

11. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Sep 26, 2008

Thanks Maroki! I might have fun creating it!

12. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Sep 26, 2008

during my student teaching, i taught open court and it uses an abc chant, it includes long vowel sounds also and they did movements too, i don't remember them all but here goes

A apple a, a, a
    A long A- A- drag it out - hand movement the ymca a hands above the head
    B ball b, b, b ( the hand movement is bouncing a basketball )
    C camel? c, c, c
    D dino saur d, d, d stomp your feet like a dino
    e elephant e,e,e arms become an elephant trunk
    e long e E- drag it out hands and one leg out to the side
    f fan f,f,f hand up like stop moving in a circular motion
    g gopher g,g,g fingers showing four pointing towards mouth
    h
    i
    i long i i arms straight out like a cap i
    j jump rope j, j,j jumping rope
    k something just like c point over your should with your thumb
    l
    m monkey
    n nose touch nose
    o ostrich
    o long o o arms make o
    p
    r
    s
    t
    u
    u long u u
    v vacuum pretend vacuuming
    w
    y yak y,y,y make horns with fingers put on head
    z zipper z, z, z, pretend to zip jacket

13. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Sep 26, 2008

oooh awesome. Harcourt has something. I also have heard about the phonics dance.
    Thanks to everyone for their responses!

14. Kinder Preppie

Kinder Preppie Rookie

Nov 5, 2008

I am a kindergarten teacher w/ 9 students. I copy stories from readers and they read their "packets" with me in reading groups daily. (I have multiple groups and we rotate). Once their packet is complete (one story... this usually takes between 1 and 3 days), the packet goes home for practice at home, and we begin a new packet.

15. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Nov 8, 2008

My reading

group routine is:
    -check homework folders to see if homework has been completed. Homework is reading aloud to parent, completing simple worksheet, and practiicing word cards. Parents have to sign folders each night.
    -read aloud story from the basal. Students take turns except on Fridays when I let them partner read.
    -Discuss the story. Characters, sequence of events, problem, solution.
    -Refer to basal teacher's edition and review word study skills using chart tablet such as vowel patterns, blends, digraphs, cause and effect, main idea, story sequencing, sentence comprehension, etc.
    -hand out new homework
    We get 50 minutes with each group so I am lucky to have reading groups with no interuptions.

16. Kinder Preppie

Kinder Preppie Rookie

Nov 9, 2008

Reading Group Question

What are your other children doing while you are spending 50 minutes with a group?