What do you do if you have a student who is also your neighbor?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mandagap06, Sep 8, 2008.

1. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 8, 2008

What would you do if one or more of your students were your neighbors or even just students that attend your school?

I have some kids (2 sisters) who go to a school that I sub at that live right diagonally across the street from me. It's not a bad thing and I don't mind it. I just know how sometimes we can walk outside to let our dogs out, get the mail, bring in the trash can or get something from our vehicles looking well sloppy or not like we do at school. I did not work today and was washing clothes and cleaning today so I got a late start to getting a shower this afternoon and I walked out to get the mail while my hair was still wet and the kids chose that time to pull in the driveway from school. To top it off my dog ran over there and so one of the sisters was nice enough to walk our dog back over to me. Talk about embarrisment!! :eek:I mean come on we all know that when we get off work or have an off day we fell like we can let loose so to speak. We can dress in comfy clothes/pjs/ no makeup hair a mess if we want to.

3. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Sep 8, 2008

Kids know that teachers are humans too. We don't wake up in the morning with the hair fixed and our professional clothes on. You can't really avoid the issue, just treat them like any other neighbor. Some of my kids saw me riding in a tractor bucket with our dog this weekend. She was running down the blacktop trying to follow us and we didn't want her run over. Wouldn't you know it, we loaded her and the kids in the bucket and there was a van of kids from school.

4. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 8, 2008

How did your students see you? Also, why was there a van of students from school?

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2008

I wouldn't act any differently at all if a student was a neighbor. I'd still go out in my yard (heck, even the store) in my ripped up jeans. You are not expected to dress professionally to take the trash out!

6. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 8, 2008

I agree. This summer I was in shorts and tank tops with my hair pulled in a pony and no makeup and sandels with tattoos showing. The kids still came up and hugged me. I teach 8th and they totally understand. They do compliment when you look good :) But, kids do understand I have some of my daughters friends over alot and I taught them before. :)

7. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Sep 8, 2008

My next door neighbor was my student last year. One of my big concerns upon taking the job was that my students lived in the neighborhood. She is actually the only one on my street and fortunately her parents aren't the crazy, obsessive type. We get along great. She and I did have to talk in the fall because she was calling me by my first name at school. She stopped when I asked her and her parents and I had a good laugh about it. They were very clear with her that I was her teacher and school and to listen to me, but it was never a problem. I do try to limit having the kids see me at home, but I don't change my activities. I put out laundry all summer, tend my garden, and rollerblade all over. I walk everywhere and so the student are use to seeing me around.

8. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Sep 8, 2008

there are kids in my neighborhood that go to the school I used to teach at. It was no big deal.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2008

A teacher on my grade level and a student she had last year's backyards touched. The child stopped by all the time. It wasn't an issue- we all often go to this teacher's house and the child would wave and/or chat with us.
    No different than seeing them at the grocery store!

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 8, 2008

Giraffe said exactly what I was going to say... no different than seeing them at the grocery store.

I was going for a walk yesterday and ran into some of the kids from my school. They looked at me and said "Mr. Fleming??!!" it was funny.

11. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Sep 8, 2008

I see my students when I go running all the time. So they see me often all stinky and gross, since there are several ball fields near the track where I run. They enjoy it and parents know me as the running teacher, and understand if I am not able to stop and chat/look a mess. :)

12. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 8, 2008

I don't mind it at all. I have a lot of students who live in my neighbor. They see me doing "home stuff".

I just hate it when I get caught in the grocery store or Wal Mart and parents want a conference in the aisles!

13. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2008

I mentioned on the first day that I live in town, and since my daughter is a student in our district, my name and phone number are in the student directory. I asked them if they would like me to call them and ask them about their homework or drop by to check on them, and all answered with an emphatic NO. I explained that I would not like it if they did that to me either. I told them that I expect they will respect my out of school hours just as I respect theirs. I've never had a problem with neighborhood kids pestering me after school. Occasionally I'll run into a parent at the cleaners or something, and usually they also respect boundaries. If they start to cross the line, I simply ask them to call me at school the next day in order to protect their child's privacy.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 8, 2008

That's the norm in my town. I can't go anywhere without seeing somebody I know from school. This year I have three neighbors with students in my classes. It's just normal.

15. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

I was in the store once looking at bras when a student came up to talk to me. I think he was more embarrassed than I was! :lol:

16. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 8, 2008

I love to run into my students out in the "real world." Just don't let parents talk you into letting their child ride with you to school. EVER. Sometimes, they'll have the nerve to ask! "We've missed the bus; can she ride with you?"

"No."

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 8, 2008

I've run into my students at the beach...in the (modest) two peice suit (is there really such a thing as modest when you have DD boobs?) and the belly button ring. I don't mind them in the neighborhood after that.

18. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2008

My daughter went to the school that I taught at last year and so my students (who are also my daughter's friends) spent the night at my house all the time. They got to see me 1st thing in the morning in my pj's (which is not a pretty sight).

19. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008

Neighbors all around me have had kids in my class. The kids come over once in awhile to bring me flowers or to say hi. I don't mind. I'm usually a mess on the weekends, but they're used to me.

20. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Sep 9, 2008

21. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Sep 9, 2008

Year before last I had two of my neighbors in my class. One lived across the street and the other just down at the corner. They played with my children and were in and out of my house. I treated them the same way if they were eating a snack at my house as I did at school. They saw me dressed as a mom and as a teacher. They just ride by on their bikes, wave and say hey, Mrs. M! They still play with my children and are in and out. I do not behave differently to them. Of course, I don't make them line up to come in or out...or anything like that. I am just me.

22. Mrs. Toby

Mrs. Toby Rookie

Sep 9, 2008

I live and teach on a military base and at least half of my students live on base, one of them is just a couple doors down. I am still getting used to seeing them and having them so near to me. I had one that came in today and asked if I had a black dog. She had seen me walking him and just wanted to make sure it was me. I do sometimes have to remind them that when they see me around base that I'm not working so that they don't ask about school stuff.

23. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Sep 9, 2008

I wouldn't mind LIVING near one of my students, but I just found out that I will be living in the same BUILDING as one of my students! What about when my boyfriend is visiting...he obviously stays over, I am paranoid that she is going to see this and make a big deal about it at school. :(

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 9, 2008

I wouldn't care if my students lived on my street. Right next door, however is a slightly different story! My concern would be that hopefully they're not some rugrats that walk or ride their bikes on my grass, play ball in the street where they could hit my car or break a window, have a dog that they let go to the bathroom on my property, & other things of that nature. And, hopefully their parents CARE where their kids are & what they're doing if they're outside of the house. If they don't do any undesired behavior & are just respectable, good kids, I could care less if they live next door...hopefully, they don't ask me detailed, lengthy questions about school when we're not at school! :D

25. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

Oh man, this is the norm for my very small town of 1,200. I have only lived here a little over a year, but almost everyone knows me by now and makes an attempt to interact with me outside of school.

I run a lot around town and it is a RARE day when I don't have kids pulling up beside me in their '85 Chevy truck, dinged-up bicycle, or their brand new motorcycle to say hello. It's actually kind of fun- makes me feel like a celebrity sometimes.

The funniest thing (or scariest?) is when you go into the gas station and the clerk says, "My nephew told me that you're moving into his cousin's ex-boyfriend's house. I've been in that place- it's really nice. My brother-in-law lives next door, so he'll keep close tabs on the place when you're gone.

I think living in a small town and interacting with the students outside of school has huge advantages. Obviously, you have to be mindful of the teacher-student boundary, but allowing them to see you in something other than a shirt and tie shows them that yes, you really are human just like them. I hope Harry Wong isn't reading this!!

26. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2008

I live in my school's territory. When I bought my house two and a half years ago, we moved in on a Saturday. The next day, my yard was filled with students from our school. It was then that I decided that I would not deal with these students at school and then at home. If I see them on the street, then I wave or stop and hold a conversation with them. They just don't come to my house.

About seeing parents in public places, there was a parent that I saw in the post office. She told me that she wanted to talk to me about something that I said to her daughter in class. I told her that she was welcomed to call the school to make an appointment. She said that she works as a cafeteria worker and would not be available during my off time. I told her that I would be willing to meet with her after school since that was convenient for her. She was shocked at my response, and I never heard from her.

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 12, 2008

I thought of this thread in the grocery store today. I went into the store on my way home from work (which was MUCH later than usual) and stopped by the one that was closer to the school and not my home. That was mistake number 1. My kids are pretty disadvantaged and parents are usually absent (either because they don't care, or they're so busy working 3 jobs to keep a roof over their kids heads, they're never home). I was walking through the bakery looking for Pita bread and had my cart filled with the rest of the stuff for tonight's dinner (kielbasa, sourcraut, green peppers) and I was spotted and my kids wanted to know ALL ABOUT what was in my cart and what I planned on cooking with it. UGH. I know they don't get much of that stuff from home, but still, sometimes I just want to be mom, not teacher.

28. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

Honestly, I have never thought about this! Before I started training to be a teacher, I admit to trying to talk to the kid's teachers when I see them out and about!

I feel really bad now and will definitely not ask about school anymore when I see them!

29. Futon 5

Futon 5 Rookie

Sep 13, 2008