What do you do if you don't get a sub?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Joy, May 12, 2016.

1. Joy

Joy Cohort

May 12, 2016

I requested to use two personal days several weeks ago, had them approved, and had a sub. I wouldn't even take them but in my district, if you don't use them, you lose them and get nothing. So I decided that I would work on homework for my Master's degree and just relax. I checked my email around 10:00 this morning to see if my Master's teacher had graded a paper that I recently submitted and found an email that said all of my classes were canceled for the whole day. I immediately called my principal who wouldn't answer and then called the secretary. She said that another teacher got sick so they took my sub to cover for her. I decided to just come back to school for the afternoon so that at least those kids wouldn't miss my class. I'm not sure that was the best thing to do especially when I discovered that one of the mentor teachers had a sub while she worked on someone's evaluation. I just can't believe that they would cancel my classes while a teacher sits and works on her computer. I realize that if she observed someone she couldn't reschedule that but she could maybe have done the paperwork later when the sub situation was better! I also can't believe that they canceled my classes at 8:08 this morning. Couldn't they keep calling to try and find a sub? I'm not sure that I handled this whole thing right. What would you do?

3. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

May 12, 2016

What do you mean by cancel? Where do the kids go? At my school SOMEONE has to cover a class, if that means an administrator. There's nowhere for the kids to go...

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 12, 2016

If a sub doesn't pick up the job or cancels, that's not my problem. I let the front office sort it out and enjoy my day off.

TnKinder, mkbren88, otterpop and 4 others like this.
  5. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

May 12, 2016

You do your job and create sub plans and give notice, let them do theirs. You don't want to set a precedent that if they can't find a sub they will expect you to cancel your personal day. That's absurd that they took your sub to cover another teacher calling out the day of. Can other teachers cover classes? We do that at my school if there's not enough subs.

BioAngel and ms.irene like this.
  6. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

May 12, 2016

What do you teach? Since my school is small, our specials teachers don't usually get subs. Teachers can still bring them to the gym or computer lab or library, but it's not uncommon that those classes are canceled when teachers are out.

7. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

May 12, 2016

Yep. I put the absence in and don't even think about it again after that. We have a hard time getting subs sometimes but we all cover for each other. I do feel a little bad when my teammates end up covering for me, but I know on other days, it'll be my turn.

8. Joy

Joy Cohort

May 12, 2016

I teach music. I realize that canceling my classes is easier than having a grade level class without a sub. However, I've never not had a sub before and don't understand why they would pull my sub and keep the mentor teacher's sub while she sat in a room and worked on her computer all day. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 12, 2016

I do t check email on days off. It's not my problem of a sub cancels. Your leave was approved. You shouldn't worry about what's going on at school. Period. I hope they adjusted your records to reflect you didn't take the whole day. Put in for a 1:2 personal soon to make up for it.

10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 12, 2016

The same thing happened at my last school on occasion. I was on both ends of it... At least one time, I was the sped teacher who had my sub pulled to go cover for a classroom teacher who needed a sub. They either canceled my classes or just had paras run them. On the flip side, when I was a classroom teacher, I woke up vomiting in the middle of the night on the night before a field trip. I needed a good sub who knew my class. Unfortunately, the sub I wanted was already scheduled to sub for a sped teacher. Since the sped teacher was my good friend, she willingly gave up her sub and allowed her classes to be canceled so that the sub could cover my absence and go on the field trip.

Early on in my career, I might have done what you did... but, at this point, I say "not my problem". Is it possible that the person assigning subs didn't know that the mentor teacher was in another room doing paperwork? Maybe they thought she was out of the building too and didn't realize that pulling her sub was an option.

Backroads likes this.
  11. Joy

Joy Cohort

May 12, 2016

I think the issue was that they would rather cancel music than pull the mentor teacher's sub. I guess I just need to try to disconnect from some of this. I take my job very seriously. Too seriously a lot of the time!

Backroads and czacza like this.
  12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 12, 2016

Cancelling a sped teachers sub and leaving no coverage could be a violation of students' IEPs.

Backroads likes this.
  13. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 12, 2016

Yeah, it is. But it happens all the time. I mean, if it comes down to no sub for a second grade classroom teacher or no sub for a sped teacher, they opt to put the sub in the second grade class and cancel the sped classes (or have them taught by paras).

czacza likes this.
  14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 12, 2016

When I taught preK in a high school setting, my supervisor told me to 'never be sick' because no one on the high school sub list would take the job. Stupid me- I never called in. That was so irresponsible and unprofessional of him, and quite frankly, NOT MY PROBLEM.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 12, 2016

We split up classes if there's no sub. It's hectic but you should be able to be out when you need to be.

16. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

May 12, 2016

When I am sick, I am sick. Determining sub ability and making sure that there is coverage in my classroom is the responsibility of those who are at a higher pay grade than me.

Backroads likes this.
  17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 12, 2016

As a vice principal, I am the person in charge of taking a class if a sub doesn't pick up the vacancy. It's not ideal, but I've gotta do it.

This school year, I've subbed 10-12 full days so far. My principal prefers for me to take over the class myself versus splitting up the kids amongst other teachers.

Although it's always nice to be back in the classroom, it definitely puts me behind on my day-to-day work. The kids are always stoked that I'm their sub, though!

Bottom line is that it's not the classroom teacher's problem if a job isn't picked up. Once it's called in, it's called in.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    Backroads, ms.irene and geoteacher like this.
  18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 13, 2016

Not your problem. I would not have gone into school. That's just telling the school that their time is more valuable than yours and you're accepting it. Next time, don't check your email and enjoy your days off!

19. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 13, 2016

Oh really? You can't just mind-over-matter your way out of an ailment or infliction? But think of the children!!!! Think of a culture that expects teachers on duty 24/7!!!! ;)

MLB711 likes this.
  20. artbrarian

artbrarian Rookie

May 13, 2016

Up until last year I didn't get subs (Art here). This year I get them, but they pull them for other teachers 90% of the time.
    Oh well.
    You do what you have to and then just let them sort it out. You don't have to cover every scenario. That is NOT your job.

Backroads likes this.
  21. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 13, 2016

When I went to work today, I knew that I needed to leave at 11:30 for my daughter. I also knew my job hadn't been picked up, despite having been in the system since last night. Not my problem. I left my plans, I dropped my kids off at art, I made sure the office staff was aware that as of 11:30, my job hadn't been picked up yet. I don't know what happened with my kids, and I won't know until Monday. I assume they pulled a para to run the class.

22. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 14, 2016

I feel you...I had surgery last Friday. I went to work on Monday and was wore out. I called early Monday night for a sub, but got a text around nine that I would not have one. I was told that they would split my class and send my students to other rooms. I felt so bad I went in on Tuesday and pulled all my duties. It was my extra duty week. I was so wore out by Thursday, I ended up at the hospital yesterday with an infection. I should have stuck to my guns and took Tuesday and Wednesday off.