What do you do for your accelerated students?

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by Teacheroo, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Mar 4, 2008

My class has a pretty large population of high (gifted) students. So high that the regular curriculum is just too low for them. When I track back on next week (we're year round here), I'm going to start a novel study with them on "A Wrinkle in Time." I do a lot for them with math, but wanted to extend it to Language Arts.

What kinds of things (all subject areas) do you do to help challenge your accelerated students?

3. carlea

carlea Comrade

Mar 4, 2008

Have you gone to a CAG (Calif Assoc for the Gifted) conference? They have great ideas and information!
    One of the vendors has great activities for LA using Bloom's Taxonomy. It's Engine-uity (and they have a porta-center kit for A Wrinkle in Time). They also have kits for SS, Math, & Science.

4. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Mar 5, 2008

Haven't even heard of it! Sounds great!

5. cda

cda Rookie

Mar 22, 2008

You are lucky, I remember when I had a few gifted classes overseas (few and far between where the whole class just clicked). Naturally the logical thing to do is to raise the bar. Aspects of college comp 101 may be useful. Granted it's sixth grade, but if the class is doing really well, then you could work on putting focus into their writing. Some instances you could have the students write their papers based on 'What did you take home from this?".

6. Calliope

Calliope Companion

Mar 22, 2008

Think synthesis. Take the pieces you would have them read, and then design assignments that ask them to synthesize the two pieces. Essay questions: How is the character is _____ similar to the main character in _______? You can have them do T-charts to show these kinds of relationships, instead of write. I'm sure you could come up with some creative assignments that would require this type of mental work besides just writing.

They will be reading work that is grade-level appropriate, but what you are asking them to do requires higher level thinking, thereby deepening the level of understanding they have of both texts.

This works with text-to-self, text-to-text, or text-to-world connections.

7. JustT

JustT Comrade

Mar 22, 2008

Try increasing the depth and complexity. For example, if they were solving logic math problems... have them create their own logic grid with the same amount of hints. As they analyze a character... have them dig deeper and find new synonyms and create a word play book.

If they are creative, prepare baggies of random common objects such as a piece of yarn, paper clip, a piece of wall paper, a button. Each student has the same items... then ask them to create an important scene from their reading using the objects within 20 minutes. This helps them dig deeper by visualizing and adds complexity -- creating/communicating

8. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Mar 28, 2008

I have some gifted students in my class as well. Teacheroo, what types of things do you do with them in math?

9. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Mar 29, 2008

I do a lot of workshop with math. Our math curriculum comes with enrichment pages and reteach pages so I use the enrichment a lot with them (it works more with problem solving). I also let them work from the middle school math books a lot. They really enjoy the seeing the challenge that they will have next year. After testing, I will probably have them do some projects that I did last year that we just haven't had time for yet.

10. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Apr 4, 2008

Teacheroo, what types of math projects will your students do after testing?