What do you do for snacks?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by teacher143, Jul 28, 2008.

1. teacher143

teacher143 Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

I taught first grade last year. At the beginning of the year I asked parents to donate classroom snacks. I also sent out reminders regularly. I ended up buying the majority of snacks myself. I am going to change the way I do snacks because these kids and their eating habits are expensive! What do you do for snacks? Any ideas are welcome!

3. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

I think only kindergarteners should get snacks. We didn't get snacks when we were in school. Kids are very over weight now. Plus, they waste a lot of their lunches.

4. lab0205

lab0205 Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

I am beginning to teach first grade this year, but last year I did a full time internship in a first grade classroom. My teacher last year had each child bring their own snack on a daily basis and she had some extra snacks that she would provide if a student forgot or didn't bring one that day. The majority of the students had a snack each day. There were only about 2 that didn't alway have a snack so this really cut down on her cost. She kept things like pudding cups and star crunch just in case. This is what I am planning to do in my room.

5. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 28, 2008

Well, I don't teach in a public school and our parents are required to pack their kids lunches and snacks. morning snacks need to be healthy choices, non sugared cereals and milk, fruit, yogurt, then they can have crackers etc--no junk food,no poptarts, donuts etc. muffins are fine as long as they are like corn or blueberry etc, no chocloate chip etc. Lucnh ca be lunchables, sandwiches, heat ups (we all have microwaves in our rooms) afternoon snacks can be anything they want from their lunch box. Drinks can be juice (100%), water, flavored water or milk. No soda, no kool-aid, gatorade, yahoo etc.

6. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

I don't think star crunches are good for kids to eat. I would be upset if someone gave my kids junk food at school. That is why we have fat kids today. Last year about 75% of my students were over weight. I had them go on a walk one day when the P.E. teacher was out and they thought I was torturing them.

7. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 28, 2008

snacks

I don't have a snack time in my classroom. Our lunch is at 12, if we had an earlier lunch then I might of considered one later in the afternoon.

Some of my teammates have snack time, they have a schedule and parents bring in something for the whole class. One of my teammates had the snack schedule, and I didn't. The parent that we shared, made a comment to me about when would students stop have to bring snacks in for the class, she thought kinder was where snack time stopped. She said that it was pretty expensive. :huh:

Another way I have done in the past, was that students could bring in a small baggie of dried cereal and could munch on this when needed throughout the day, but it was to remain on their desk.

I have also seen a snack center, where students eat their snack when they went to the center. If students didn't have a snack then they didn't go to the center. I thought this was pretty clever.

hth :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  8. JenL

JenL Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

we have morning recess...a short 10 minute recess for the kids to run.
    after morning recess we do snack. i have my kids bring their own snack. i teach at a school that is pretty evenly middle class so i don't think it is too much to have the kids bring their own snack. i repeatedly tell parents at the beginning of the year to pack a snack and to let me know if there is an issue getting a snack for their child. then if a child does not have a snack i feel it was a parental decision to not pack one. for people that have said there is an issue(i have never had anyone say this) i could provide a snack. i always keep something on hand just in case a child looks starved anytime during the day anway.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2008

Our students bring their own snack to eat during the first part of our 30 minute morning recess. Our school is also part of a healthy schools initiative and, as such, all classrooms receive a large bin of fresh fruit and/or unsweetened applesauce every week. I think that year raw veggies will also be available. The teachers can decide how they want to manage the students having the fruit throughout the day/week.

10. teacher143

teacher143 Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

Lots of good ideas floating around...I think I will talk to my teammates and see if we can all adopt the same snack policy so parents are not confuse/frustrated.
    Thanks!

11. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jul 28, 2008

In my area the kids either buy a snack (offered at school) or bring something from home. The parents can donate something or the teacher will buy something cheep like cherros for the afternoon but the afternoon they only get a small handful while they play outside.(k only w/ the afternoon).( Thats elem.)
    The other grades go to the snack ma.'s

12. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

At my kids school, only kinders have snack. After that, kids can bring their own snack for the afternoon. At the school where I teach, first grade still has always had snack with milk. Since I have my kids numbered, they bring snack for the class on their day's number. Ex: #5 brings snack on Sept. 5, Oct. 5, etc. If their number falls on a weekend, they still bring it and I use it for the end of the month. I work in a lower income school and so some kids never bring snack. I would like to do away with bringing snack this year but still offer afternoon milk, but I don't know how it will go over. I might just let parents send snack daily with their child if they want to...

13. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

We have lunch at 11:30. They have recess after lunch (but not directly this year). We typically have snack at 2. They each bring a snack from home. I try to have something (graham crackers or the like) for those who forget or the one or two who just never bring one.

14. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

We aren't allowed to give a snack. Only kindergarten and the grade with the last lunch of the day. I understand the reasons why but I also think it would be great to have grapes or some other small fruit that is easily eaten. I would love if my school gave us free fruit every week!! YUM

15. TeachMe3

TeachMe3 Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

At our school the Kinders are the only ones that have snack time. They go to lunch at 10:30 am. My kids last year could bring a snack if they wanted to. I did not tell them that they could not bring a snack. They just had to eat it at lunch. I think that this year I am going to talk to my team about 1st possibly having a snack time because my class was the last lunch last year. We went to lunch at 12:30pm and by the time all of the students sat down, somethimes it was 12:40 pm. If 1st get the last lunch this year I am going to suggest that the students have a short snack time. The snacks must be healthy choices that their parents send from home daily.

16. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 29, 2008

I send out a letter several times a year asking for snack donations. I usually have several parents that are great about sending something in. I buy bulk non-sugary cereal in the event that we run out. I had snacks leftover last year.

90% of my students come from a proverty stricken area. They get free breakfast and lunch, however, most of them don't make it to school in time for breakfast.

I have found that if I don't provide them with a small snack many of them have trouble staying focused because they are so hungry. I can hear their little bellies rumbling.

17. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

This is an aspect of my students lives in which I do not get involved. They can bring something to eat at recess. Or not.

Many will just grab something out of their lunch. Sometimes a child will want to eat their whole lunch at recess. Then I might get involved and tell the parent to pack a little more food.

18. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 30, 2008

Even though our parents supply lunch and snacks for the kids, fi we do a special project that involves food I might hold onto the left overs (if they are unopened) just incase there is a day when a child forgets a lunch or doesn't ahve enough snacks. Like today we made soar ovens and cooked smores. I hve unopened pacakges of graham cracker left over so I put them in a special cubby

19. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

I don't understand this snack thing. We feed them optional breakfast at 8:30. Most kids eat lunch around 11;30 or 11:45. That is 3 hours of no eating. Then we get out around 3:00. That is another 3 hours. Kids can't function without food for 3 hours??? That is sad. I think Kindergarten should be the only ones eating snacks. 3 hours is not that long of time to do without food. Our students are so fat the way it is.

20. MissMaurie

MissMaurie Companion

Aug 2, 2008

I understand that you feel very strongly about snack, but all the original poster wanted was ideas from people who DO have snack in their room. If she teaches in a high poverty area, the food that her students eat in the classroom might be all they get. If her school allows her grade level to give snack, then be happy that these kids have a teacher that cares enough to make sure they have something to eat. Yes, kids are more overweight these days, but one snack a day isn't going to ruin them forever. Having food to eat keeps you energized and focused. Even I, as the teacher, appreciate the snack break in the day.

21. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Aug 2, 2008

Snack

In my district we do have snack time whether for kindergarten or fifth grade. Our students are allowed to arrive at school at 7:30 a.m. They can eat breakfast between 7:30 and 8:00. But, a lot of times, the kids don't eat at home and don't eat at school. Depending on the school, kinders may eat lunch at 10:45. This is the time for my class. Or at my son's school they don't eat until 12:45. Because the socio-eco is so varied in this district, I will feed these children. I will ask parents to send nutritutious snacks. I ask them not to send chips or sugary candy /or cakes. I too will keep things that are left over that can be easily stored such as containers of apple sauce and raisins. I don't know about teachers here and there, but I don't like eating breakfast at 6:30 a.m. or lunch at 10:45 or 1:30 p.m. I will also bring yogurt or something to eat with the kids. If we go to lunch so early, I will eat a snack and eat lunch later when they have gone to "pullouts". Each school is different. It depends on the community. I have bought extra lunch for my students who want seconds they are so hungry. One little boy would clean his plate. He even would eat the greens they served. Most kids throw away their food but that is another story. Anyway....just imo.

22. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Aug 2, 2008

At our school, students are allowed to being "healthy" snacks. If the snack was not healthy, they had to save it until lunch. Most students did not bring snacks and unfortunately I was unable to provide snacks for my class because it could get quite expensive. However, I did find out that a few who did not eat breakfast at home would have a snack because they did not like eating so early in the morning.

On another note, my junior high daughter was allowed to bring healthy snacks to school to eat during homeroom as well because she had a late lunch. She left home at 6:45 A.M. and lunch for the seventh graders was at 12:30 P.M.

Overall, I think it's a good idea but I couldn't foot the bill for a class of thirty students, especially when I had to provide a daily snack for my own daughter who is quite picky.

23. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Aug 2, 2008

Our sate regs dictate that we can't let the children go more twe opehan three hours without the opportunity to eat---our center opens at 6 am. I usually have snack in my room around 9:30 -10:00 because most of my kids are later arrivers but a couple aren't so it's a comprimise. the early arrivers are offered the chance to eat a healthy choice from their lunch box when they get to school fi they get to school before 8 am. We have lunch between 12 and 12:30. After nap they can have an afternoon snack if they want between 3 and 3;30. We are open until 6 pm and some of them are there till the last minute.

24. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

Since I snack a LOT throughout the day, I always felt that my students should be allowed to snack as well. They always know it's snack time when I pull mine out. Then, they silently go get theirs as well. I allow my students to bring any healthy snack that is easy to eat like cut up apples, granola bars, oranges, pretzels, nuts, raisins, etc.

I don't have money to buy snacks for my students. I tell parents that they may pack a snack for them; otherwise, I will not provide one.

25. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 2, 2008

Our school does it just like this. However, first grade does not have snack b/c their lunch time is at 11:15. If we were to have snack it would be around 2 but that is when we go to specials.

26. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 2, 2008

Oh, and the rules are 1) bring your snack in the room with you when you get to school, 2) no going to the cafeteria to buy snack once the school day has started, 3) no sharing of snack. Of course they should be healthy and not messy.

Lemon

27. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

Students must provide their own snack. They are only allowed to eat ONE snack. IF they bring a drink, that is considered a snack. I stress that snack time is just that...snack...not a four course meal! I do allow students time to go to the water fountain. I encourage them to bring a healthy snack...fruit, veggies, etc.

28. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 2, 2008

We don't have snacks, even in kindergarten because our lunch is at 11:00 and we get out of school at 2:30. One teacher does have a snack area that the kids can go to anytime that she is't teaching and they are hungry. The kids get 3 saltines or 5 animal crackers. She has boys bring Saltine crackers and girls bring animal crackers. When she runs low, she sends a note to the whole class and replentishes. Having plain snacks cuts down on the snacking for the sake of snacking and kids that are actually hungry have something to eat.

29. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 3, 2008

That's a good idea- to have them bring saltines or animal cookies. I think this is appropriate for classes who don't have snack time. It's easy for parents and they can donate or not.

When my oldest was in kinder, each students family had a snack week. We would need to bring a bunch of snacks on a Friday for the next week for the entire class. I really didn't like this at all because it wasn't dictated to me what to buy and I bought 5 different things- I can't even remember what. Plus it was expensive. I guess they did away with that because of all the allergies and probably complaining from parents. I would also think this is more work (passing out) for the teacher and more preschoolish.

At our school, our lunch schedule goes in order with Kinder starting at 10:30 and 5th beginning their lunch around 1:10. Kinder has afternoon snack, 1st has no snack, 2nd is up to the teacher, 3rd- 5th all have a morning snack around 9 ish.

I may do what Tasha's teacher friend does since I will be teaching first and have no scheduled snack.

Like another poster said, I know it is not our duty to feed the children but I also know what it's like to have my own kid come home telling me they were starving all afternoon. As long as the snack situation is under control and not a game, I see nothing wrong with feeding a grumbling tummy.

30. MrsV

MrsV Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

I tried snack last year and it was a disaster. In my student teaching, my master teacher had a snack schedule and students were assigned a certain day. This didn't work at all because she had about 5 kids who NEVER brought snack. All the rest of the kids would complain if someone forgot snack.

Last year (my first year), I decided to have students bring in their own snacks. I specified that students needed to bring a small snack, absolutely no bananas (we had a kid with a severe allergy) and nothing messy. Well, within the first week I ran into the following problems:

-I had 3 students who didn't bring a snack every single day (they quickly ran through our snack donations and it got expensive very quickly for me to buy snack for them everyday. They started to expect it. I talked to their parents, but nothing was done).
    -I had students bringing in juice and spilling it everywhere or those little GoGurt things and spilling them all over themselves or other students.
    -I had students bringing in a four course meal (i.e. an entire box of crackers for one student; NO joke!)
    -I had a student bringing in bananas everyday and she just so happened to sit next to the child with the severe allergy.
    -It was so time consuming! It took about thirty minutes for the children to finish their snacks.
    -It was a big mess in the classroom. There was always smashed crackers or spilled drinks.

Needless to say, I discontinued snack after the first month of school. The students complained at first, but surprisingly they adjusted very quickly. Students can buy breakfast before school at 8:30-9:00. We had lunch at 12:15.

I am not going to do snack this year.

I am happy to hear I am not the only first grade teacher who doesn't do snack!

31. lemonlime

lemonlime Rookie

Sep 10, 2008

Give the parents a list of healthy snacks that are easy for them to bring and tell them what their days is to bring snacks. Let them know that if they want to opt-out of bringing a snack they can write a cheque to you for 10 or 15 dollars to cover the cost of the snack for that day. Check out my website for a list of 25 simple healthy snacks and other great teaching tips!

32. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2008

We have 3 first grade teachers. We all do snack differently and it is no big deal. We even have twins between the classrooms and never had a complaint. So don't worry about being the same.

33. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 10, 2008

I did ask parents to bring snack this year. It just makes it easier. I used to have kids bring their own but it turned into a mini-lunch time and I want snack to be quick and easy.

I used mysignup.com to have parents sign up for a day. It's sort of a confusing site, but it works.

We have had all kinds of things for snack, cut up fruit, graham crackers (a cheap but favorite amongst the kids) crackers and cheese, etc.

My request to parents is that they bring enough for two days. We give the kids any left overs if they want them the next day (so we had left over grape from Monday and they ate them on Tuesday and even some today!)

34. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Sep 10, 2008

I do community snack and have the parents bring it in. Every once in awhile I will buy things like around the holidays. However, I do tell my kids that if we don't have anything in the room for snack then they dont get snack. I also do not give my kids a choice, if I pick up a box of cheez-its then they either eat those or they dont eat anything. I dont mind snack but I cant take a big break and have all 17 of them choose what they want and then give them time to eat it. I have to do a working snack because there's really no time to stop for snack. My school is K-4 and I'm not sure if 4th grade does snack but I do know that 3rd grade does.

35. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

I agree with these points. I wouldn't mind seeing snack times for those who have very late or very early lunches, because the kids can be legitimately very hungry during the day. But in general, only the kindergarteners need snacks.

Another point about the snacks: if they come from home, I don't think a public school should be able to mandate healthy food. Too much big brother there.

36. fuzzybunnie

fuzzybunnie Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

My students bring their own snacks and eat them during morning recess. Many of them arrive at school at 7 or 7:30, and by 10:15 they need an energy boost. I encourage healthy snacks at Back to School night, but I have no real control. Some of the kids don't bring snacks, and if they seem to be ok I let it go, but if they say they're hungry or if they cry I send a note to the parents. I've thought of having a snack available for those who don't have one, but so far that hasn't been an issue this year.

37. swtteacher

swtteacher Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

Snacks are definitely appropriate in my classroom!
    Students arrive at 8:05, which the option to go to breakfast by 8:15. All but 2 of my students receive free lunch, so they can get breakfast free as well. The other 2 only pay 30 cents for breakfast if they choose to eat.
    However, we go to lunch 10:35-11:05. Dismissal is not until 3:40, so most students don't arrive home until after 4pm. That is 5 hours since lunch! We have recess at 2pm, so I encourage everyone to bring a snack and drink each day. They take it out to recess and eat first and then go play. I do NOT provide snacks because the parents would count on me to provide their child with a snack. Many students bring a bottle of water and a sandwich, dry cereal, crackers, etc. Some bring fruit, chips, etc. I limit them to ONE drink and ONE snack item. This seems to work well for me. In years past, I have had snack time after packing up for the day (around 2:30) but now our dismissal time is later and it works better to have snack at recess.

38. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 13, 2008

We sell only good food like granola bars, vitamin water, gatorade, baked chips. We don't allow other snacks. But, I have 8th grade. Everyone is right about the children being overweight our county and state is the worst on the list. We are doing everything we can to help with obesity. We have a more productive PE program and everyone of the students have to dress out. Only if they have a doctor's excuse will that student not dress out and exercise.

39. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 13, 2008

Our kids bring snacks and lunches from home. WE do have a center wide rule about certain things not being aloowed (candy, and stuff like that). My classroom rule and for the most part all the teachers use it is this : healthiest choice first at morning snack --preferably a fruit or yogurt. But some children will bring cereal or carrots or a cheese stick and then they can have crackers and peanut butter etc. Juice, milk or water are the only drinks allowed. After they eat their lunch they can have a snack from their lunch box if they are still hungry---doesn'thave to be fruit or yogurt and is usually goldfish crackers or those fruit/cereal bars. afternoon sanck they can have anything that is left in their lunch box. We are alos required to do at least 20 minutes of gross motor with then every day--this can be dancing or movement games or playing outside on the play ground. Most of the the classes do 20 minutes fo dancing or gross motor plus playground time. I also incorporate gross motor exercises into my circle time by jumping up and down while we say the ABCs or bending over to touch our toes while we say the months, running in place while we say the days of the week--things like that

40. teacher143

teacher143 Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

Thanks for all the suggestions about snack. I decided to allow snack this year because we have late lunch. All students are responsible for bringing in their own snack and I respect the choice of some to not eat. So far this has been working great!

41. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2008

We have snack recess. The children bring their own snacks. I sent home a list of types of snacks that are ok. I do provide an extra in case the children don't have any. I have discovered the big boxes of saltines are great snack boxes, I found them cheap at Lucky's and they are not loved too much or disliked too much. I only hand out a 3 of them to each child who asks.