What do you do for Homework?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by no_one_teacher, Aug 17, 2008.

1. no_one_teacher

no_one_teacher Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

I know this has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for...

I've changed my hw up a few times last year and still haven't found one that totally works for me. I would love to hear what you do and if you use OCR even better for ideas!

Thanks!

3. mixedup1

mixedup1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

Not sure with OCR is. The only homework my students have is the work that they do not get finished that day.

4. ograwk

ograwk Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

My class always has a spelling assignment (writing the words 3x each, a worksheet from their practice book [we use HM], using them in a story, or a practice spelling test), math sheet, and they need to read for at least 15 minutes and write a short summary in their weekly reading log.

Sometimes instead of spelling they have a week long writing assignment called paragraph of the week. One night they brainstorm, the next they write a rough draft, the next they edit with a parent, and finally they have to write a final draft in cursive. The whole works is due on Friday.

5. desertlilac

desertlilac Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

OOO, ograwk, I like your paragraph of the week idea! I'm going to to that, and if they don't do it at home, do you have them do it in class at some point (like instead of explore time?), or does that encourage some to not do their homework because they CAN do it in class?

6. ograwk

ograwk Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

If they don't do it, they miss out on recess on Friday. If it becomes a habit, then they have to do each night's assignment the following week during recess, so they miss a full week of recess. It usually only happens once! Also, the paragraphs are based on a prompt that I send home with them. Good luck with it - I really like it.

7. no_one_teacher

no_one_teacher Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

Yes, I love the the paragraph idea--it makes writing more applicable to the real world (at home, outside of school)...

thank you for the responses!

BTW, OCR is Open Court Reading--which is the program we use in our district.

8. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

I love the paragraph idea. It would work well with what I'm trying out this year. I'm assigning homework on Monday for the whole week. Parents and kids love it, because it takes into account that they might have obligations during the week that keep them from doing homework. I love it because I'll get all the work at once - easier to check and keep track of that way.

Of course ... we're only in the first week. I might change my opinion on friday. :)

9. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Aug 20, 2008

Ograwk, do you do this assignment every week for the entire school year? Do they ever get tired of it?

Where do you get your prompts, or do you make up your own?

10. ograwk

ograwk Rookie

Aug 23, 2008

I alternate the paragraphs with spelling homework, so they get the paragraphs about every other week. I made up my own prompts like: What would the perfect classroom be like? (this would be a descriptive paragraph); What is your favorite subject and why?; What chores do you have at home? etc. The prompts are a bit more involved than just the question. I also include a rubric. About half way through the year they change from expository to narratives. Then they have to write about things like: You come to school one day and there is a substitute. You find out she is an alien!; or You find an animal on the way to school and it starts talking to you; or You come to school one day and there is an elephant on the playground! (This one was based on an elephant escaping from a circus that came to town - it really happened!)

I really don't get tired of it, but it can be hard to get them all graded over the weekend. I'm starting out with 33 kids this year, so I don't know how I'm going to do it!

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 24, 2008

Mainly practice book pages, spelling practice, and small projects. :)

12. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 24, 2008

I usually give my students a math or spelling sheet for written homework. I also have them read for 20 - 30 minutes each night and they are responsible for recording their minutes and any books they complete during the month on their reading logs. I save these and use them in their portfolio at the end of the school year.