What do you do for exercise?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ecteach, Jun 28, 2014.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 28, 2014

I recently bought a workout DVD series. (I won't mention the name, because I think it's against the rules.) Anyway, it's a 25 minute video and it is KILLER! I have never worked out so hard in my life. Normally I am a walker, or I ride my stationary bike. The last year or so, I have seen no real benefits from either of these. This is my second week with this program, and I already see a small difference. I can already do so much more in the videos than I could last week.

I am NOT a runner. When I run I feel and look like a floppy fish. But, I've known a lot of people who stay fit with a strong running regimen.

Then again, one of the most physically fit people I know does a lot of landscaping around her home to stay fit.

The differences in style leads to the the question: what is your favorite thing to do for exercise?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 28, 2014

I love weights and the elliptical. I like walking, too.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 28, 2014

I do Zumba sometimes. I also will go walking. I loved swimming back in the day. Now I can't wear contacts and obviously swimming in glasses just doesn't quite work!

I have some Jillian Michaels DVDs. Those are definitely hard! I also have some things for my Wii.

I have a friend who did P90X. She was a three-sport varsity player in HS and rode competitively, and that's still the best shape I've ever seen her in.

5. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 28, 2014

I like walking (and my very lame attempt at jogging).
    I have this hilarious app called Zombies,Run! that trains you for a 5k, but it has this little story and stuff that you do that makes you pretend you are running from zombies.
    My ultimate goal is to actually do one of those zombie 5k/obstacle courses. It is just hot as fudge in Texas now, so being outside makes me want to die.

6. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 28, 2014

I love to walk..i live in a condo complex, so I love to walk the grounds. We have a pool too which is great so I could just take a long walk around it and really get a good work out from just that. And swimming in the pool too of course:D

But daily, just going to the mailbox, getting the recycling done or going to the garbage bin is a nice walk for me..sometimes I will purposely go the longer way just to get an extra 15 minutes out of it but when its not too hott I like to walk everyday..even if its just to do those things I need to get done, it can be a good 20 min walk!!

7. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 28, 2014

I get a surprisingly good workout during the school year because our building has several floors and is very large. During the summer, I mainly just walk around the neighborhood and/or the track. I used to go to the gym, but haven't been a big fan since they closed the spot I used to love and the new gym is further away (and the parking SUCKS because it's so limited.)

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2014

I have some DVDs that I like--Jillian Michaels, TurboFire (which kills me), Leslie Sansone, Slim in Six--and I try to get out for a long (at least 3.5 mile) walk/run at least 4 times per week in the summer.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 28, 2014

Ideally, I love working out at the gym for about an hour doing the following:

- 30 min elliptical crosstraining machine
    - 30 min of individual equipment

Then, another hour of walking laps at my indoor shopping mall.

I wish I could do that 4-5 days a week!

10. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jun 28, 2014

During the school year I use the fitness room 3-4 days per week. My go-to equipment is the elliptical, free weights, and weight machines. During the warmer months I walk outside, garden, and do chores, plus a little of of free weights.

11. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2014

In the summer, I run outdoors for 6 to 8 miles, 5 or 6 times a week. During the school year, I run for an hour (6.5 miles) on a treadmill 3 times a week and then I run outside on the weekends. I also do strength training things at home.

Running is the only exercise I enjoy enough to keep up consistently over the years. I've tried a million other things, but have found that nothing keeps me lean like when I'm running regularly (5 times a week).

12. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2014

I love jogging. Usually 4-6 miles or 1/2 marathon
    training. I started an arm routine yesterday at my gym. My triceps are very sore today.

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 28, 2014

I hate exercising. I would pretty much rather do anything else. There is something about being out of breath that puts me in a panic and makes me uncomfortable. I've tried a few workout DVDs and just hated them. I also hate taking classes, like Zumba. No thank you!

Anyway, I enjoy walking. I take my puppy for long walks, usually about 8 miles per day. I also enjoy riding my bike, but not fast. I calling it "strolling." ;)

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 29, 2014

My BF purchased me a really nice treadmill recently. I use it about 5-6 times/week.

I loathe working out. Once I hit my mid-20s, though, my naturally flat stomach started to expand a bit, so I started exercising! :blush:

I miss the days when I could eat like a horse and not gain an ounce!

15. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Jun 29, 2014

I have posted this before but here's my schedule:

I don't do much strength training myself, only because I don't really feel I need it. I still do a bit weekly and try to work it into my routine but not as much as cardio/yoga.

Here's what my week looks like:

Monday- 6am-7am hot yoga class. Some mornings I wake up at 5am and have a thirty minute run (normally MTW with the run, since I like to sleep late). After school I do 45 minutes of cardio and the I have a one hour pilates class at the same site. (So it works out- less than two hours at the gym and I am home by 6!)

Tuesday- repeat, same as above

Wed- Same as above

Thursday- Vinyasa Flow Yoga 6am-7am, I don't do a run but after school I do my strength training in a 45 minute session. I do my pilates for a hour.

Friday- Same thing as above, but I try to do forest yoga this day, but I do switch it up.

Sat- Off day.

Sunday- No work out, though I do wake up, have tea, then take a nice, long jog if the weather permits it. I have pilates and yoga for two hours since on Sundays I get a private session with my favorite trainers.

So as far as what I do for exercise, it's definitely a combination of yoga and cardio. I set a schedule, stick to it, and it works because my body has gotten used to the routine.

This summer I planned on being in a bikini a lot so I started working on toning my midriff back in March.

Straight up going to the gym and running is MISERABLE to me, so I like changing it up. I love being in shape though. It feel so dang good! I'm about to go to yoga now.

16. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jun 29, 2014

My absolute favorite "exercise" is ballet class. I'm terrible at it but I love it. I also sometimes try to go to a nice slow basic yoga class. Oh yes, and during the school year I try to walk a lot. I ran a little when I was younger (in my thirties) but I'm more of a walker and slow mover. I love a good basic ballet barre.

17. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2014

For 7-8 months a year, I walk.
    In the summer 5 miles 3-7 days a week.
    during the school year, 2-5 miles 3-4 days a week.

Also during the summer, I get into the pool and do my own thing 4-6 days. I'm queen sized so the water gets the weight off my joints.
    I twist, high knees, jump, kick, somersault, cartwheel, etc. I'm sure it's quite a sight for the neighbors.

Winter...treadmill yuck. 30-60 minutes 3-6 days a week.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2014

Just bought a fitbit...I'm finding it a great motivational tool..it Kees me on the go after what I would have done without it!

19. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 29, 2014

I do Crossfit, and it kicks my butt! It's hard but I'm not a self motivated gym person so I need a schedule already planned ahead. About two months ago I started doing yoga on Tuesday nights.

20. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2014

I always start exercise programs and don't stick with them. At this point, I've gotten to the point where I really need to lose weight, even for health (not just cosmetic) purposes, so I started again about 2 months ago, and have actually stuck with it. I'm also doing weight watchers, which I have also stuck with.

I started by going to the gym 4 days per week and doing 15 minutes on the elliptical, 15 minutes on the treadmill, and 15 minutes on the bike, all at pretty low speed/intensity. I also bought a heart rate monitor so I could see how many calories I was burning- that has been very motivational for me! Now I'm up to doing 20 minutes on each machine and at a much faster pace with more resistance. I do that four days per week and then do something easier at home two days per week- usually a taebo dvd I have or I'll play Just Dance on the Wii. I've been really strict at making a workout schedule ahead of time and sticking with it. We start school at 7:15 and I am NOT a morning person, but if for some reason the only time I can go is before school, I will get up at 5 am and go to the gym before school. In fact, I've been doing that every Friday because I know I won't go otherwise, since I always have weekend plans after school. I would have never in a million years thought that I could get up at 5 am and go to the gym, so even being able to do that has really motivated me. My next plan is to add in some more strength training. I prefer cardio and I need to burn the calories- but I don't want to end up lighter but "flabby!"

I've always wanted to be able to run a 5k, but my problem with running is that I am SO bad at it that I can't get any exercise from it. I tried the couch to 5k and even with the day one workouts, I started getting the most severe stabbing pains on the sides of my shins that I've ever felt- to the point where I literally would have to sit down for 5 minutes and then limp home after only doing 7 or 8 minutes of the workout. It wasn't something I could "power through"-it was like my muscles literally gave out. Yet I can do 60 minutes of other stuff in the gym with no problem and burn hundreds of calories, so I choose that option. Maybe I will try working up to running once I'm at a healthy weight and don't need the exercise so much just for losing weight anymore.

21. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2014

Stairmaster 5 miles a day in the summer. Free weights and lots of sit ups (crunches).

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 30, 2014

I love my fitbit!

23. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Jun 30, 2014

I do usually do some crossfit WOD. If I feel up to it I will do another 30 mins on the elliptical or row machine. But usually after a WOD, I don't feel up to it ;)

24. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 30, 2014

After a WOD nobody feels like doing a thing!

25. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Jul 1, 2014

I have been doing Zumba and I love it! The music really gets me going!

26. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Jul 1, 2014

except lay on the floor and wish to die.. But it is so addictive:)

27. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 2, 2014

I used to think I hated exercise, but I just hate running. It turns out I love exercise if I do the fun kind! I love going to classes at the gym, especially Zumba. I also do cardio on various machines, mainly the elliptical but I try to switch it up. I'd like to start lifting weights, but I'm intimidated and need someone's help to get my form right and everything. I do some lifting with machines, but I think free weights are much more beneficial.

I've been getting into hiking lately too. Love it, especially the downhill parts. :D

I really don't do well with things like DVDs alone at home. I find it too hard to stay motivated.