What do you do for emergency sub plans?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Peregrin5, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 25, 2016

I've never used emergency sub plans, because even if I'm deciding the day of that I'm not coming in, I can still write up a plan, email it to my admin and have it carried off.

Usually for sub plans I use videos, because they take up the entire period, it's easy for the sub, and doesn't require special preparation.

However with block periods, my go to videos no longer cover the entire period (Cosmos: they're only 50 minutes each). Also I'm wondering if there might be something better.

I can't think of enough worksheets that would use up 90 minutes of class time. Any ideas?

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2016

Ahhh sub plans, the bane of my existence! I teach 100-minute blocks and also struggle to come up with independent work that is more or less self-explanatory (I had the sub from you-know-where last week and was reminded how even the simplest plans can go awry!). I can't leave a video because the only option I would have to show it is to leave my Macbook, and I'm not doing that! I'm working on collecting articles that I can leave along with questions, vocab, etc. I can also put assignments on Google Classroom with detailed instructions, but in a true emergency, that might not be an option. I will also look forward to hearing what other teachers do!

4. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Oct 25, 2016

Kids hate worksheets! They just see them as pointless busy work.Surely you can have the substitute do a simple writing lesson. Most speak English, and I'm sure most can lead a short discussion on a style of writing..say inform/explain . Relate it to the real word. Oh last week I had to inform/explain to my insurance company why I was dropping Obamasuckscare. ;) Or maybe do critique/evaluate type writing. Have the kids go on a consumer site - if you don't have laptops let them use their phones. Maybe they're into rock music. Have them compare 3 guitar brands. Evaluate each one's strengths/weaknesses, write up an essay on why you chose that particular brand. That would take up 2 periods! And it has real-world relevance. They are on these consumer sites every day!

5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2016

My favorite last minute sub plan was a science word root activity. They get lists of word roots and then create their own dinosaur by stringing together the various pieces to make a blue three horned tri-ped or whatever. It's fun and helps the, buy in to learning suffixes and prefixes more than they otherwise do.

MLB711 likes this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 25, 2016

Can you have them write up a summary of the video after they watch it?

Or, leave a list of vocabulary words from the video to define and use in a sentence?

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 25, 2016

We have to have a 3 day emergency plan (all copies made, directions, etc) left with the secretary. This is for those times when you're calling in last minute, like something happens on the way to work, or overnight and you can't do lessons.

We never know if we even have a sub, so sometimes our kids are watched by different teachers in different periods.
    I have a simple story they read and answer questions in the end, perfect for 55 minutes. The sub can change it up, read it together, or alone, let kids work together or not, but the kids can do this all by themselves.

If I was a science teacher, and had a block period, I'd probably have a video with corresponding notes the kids would write along. Then have them read a science article and answer questions.

8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2016

The sub can introduce the topic and title of the video, the students can create a KWL chart & free- write a list of questions that they want to answer about the topic in the video. They could do this in pairs if you prefer. Then as they're watching the video, they could be jotting down notes -- and answers (if they pop up) to their questions for accountability. I'm HOPING that the videos would be relevant and on point and not just something "to do" because there's a sub. After the video, the students can jot down their last answers and notes, or highlight any questions that WEREN'T answered in the video, and they can pair or group up and share, or in whole group because maybe some had questions that the others had or didn't even think of.

ms.irene likes this.
  9. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2016

I have a review activity on the metric system and dimensional analysis and an article review. I have had the same emergency plans for about 10 years. All I do is change out the rolls and the article every few years. They have never been used but my administration insists on them.