What do you do for conferences?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by waterfall, Nov 13, 2011.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2011

Do you attend conferences with the gen ed teacher, or have the parents come to an additional conference with you? What kinds of things do you present?

Our conferences are student led. I'm expected to attend my students conference with their gen ed teacher, but I find a lot of them end up being scheduled at the same time (since I'm k-5) so I don't always make it. For parents I really need to talk to for some specific reason, I ask the teachers to work around me for those. Last year I just let the students do their thing with their work portfolio and mentioned their IEP goals at the end, and then was there for parents to ask questions if they had any. The way ours are set up, the teacher really doesn't say anything unless the parent has a specific question that they ask at the end. This year I'm thinking of making my own sheets for my student's goals similar to what they have for their gen ed classes. I want them to show their parents that they're being successful on those (since we cannot modify assignments and can only provide very limited accommodations, about half of my students are failing gen ed classes), but I need it to be something they can do on their own since I may not always be there.
    I'm thinking of something like:

My reading (or math, writing, etc.) IEP goal is _________________.

I have until _________________________ to pass this goal.

My current score is ___________________________.

(Below is a building wide feedback system we are required to use- the star is what they're doing the best and the step is what they need to work on)

My star for this goal is _______________________________.

My step for this goal is_______________________________.

You can help me at home by ___________________________.

So the students would obviously fill in the blanks with me in class before the conference, but then they'd be responsible for sharing it at the conference. What do you think? I also have to keep in mind that the students still have to share their entire gen ed portfolio, which will take most of the time. For my students with 1 or 2 goals, this is fine but I'm a little worried about my needier students who have up to 5 goals having enough time. I was also thinking about sharing some sort of chart that shows the progress they've made since we started the goal- but again time is an issue. For their gen ed class, they share something similar to what I have above only they write several sentences for each blank and share a piece of work and a reflection on that piece of work. They also reflect on "community traits." Even with time constraints I want to get more involved this year and especially show my students that what they're doing with me is just as important, since my goals tend to be what they're successful at.

I know probably not- but if anyone else has student led conferences I'd love to hear what you do!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2011

Only a few of our teachers do student-led conferences, although I wish more would. On conference evenings, I tend to do quite a bit of running around, trying to attend not only the conferences of the students on my caseload, but those of my general ed English class as well.

I like your idea of a separate form for your kiddos to share at their conference. Not sure about your students, but for some of mine, "My IEP goal..." may be a bit confusing (even though they know what they are working on). In that case, you could use, "My goal with waterfall is..."

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2011

Thank you for the idea! I was unsure about student led conferences at first, but once you see them in action it's pretty cool. It also literally increased our parent participation in conferences from about 20% to almost 90% last year.

5. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Nov 20, 2011

I attend conferences when asked. I really see it as the general education teachers' time with the parents. I am there and available, but am generally only asked for students who are so low that their curriculum is heavily modified and the IEP progress is a better indicator of their growth.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2011

Since we can have conferences any day of the year, any ESE student conferences are scheduled through the ESE department. All gen-ed teachers plus the ESE teacher are in attendance.

I like the form, though... we do something similar, but usually only for the IEP pre-meeting.