What do you do for 8th graders at end of year?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Exclaimation Po, May 13, 2008.

1. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

May 13, 2008

Last year the middle school I was at had their first ever 8th grade field trip (to the high school to watch a play and sign up for 9th grade classes) and then had a dinner dance for the 8th graders. No promotion.

The school I'm at this year has a promotion, a field trip to a mini golf place, and a two hour dance.

What do other schools to for their departing 8th graders?

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

May 13, 2008

Following awards assembly, our 8th graders go to the public pool, where they have lunch and swim for the rest of the afternoon. The next day, they have graduation practice for as long as it takes for them to get it right and then we have a graduation ceremony in our high school auditorium that night.

oh, our PTO throws them a dance the Friday before graduation.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 13, 2008

Our grade 8s went on a 3-day trip to Ottawa in early May. Graduation ceremonies are held on the Monday evening of the last week of school (ceremony, pizza and dance at the school). School ends on the Thursday, but the grade 8s traditionally don't attend school on the Tuesday and Wednesday. They come Thursday morning for an assembly and to say, "Good-bye".

5. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

May 13, 2008

Our school does so much stuff for the 8th grade it requires an advisor. I'm it. *Note everything on this list is a "tradition" and I don't agree with everything we have to have done. We're a PreK-8 Catholic school.

Monthly fundraisers
    Class trips to high schools (like college visits)
    A lavish Class trip (this year is Boston, last year was NYC, etc.)
    7th/8th Grade dance
    Huge awards banquet with monetary awards, hundreds of dollars of decorations, students sing, then the teachers sing, each student gets trophy of some sort, etc.
    Graduation with reception

As you can probably tell by my tone, I'm not in favor of all this. The kids just think everything should be handed to them just because they're "the EIGHTH grade" and many of the parents agree. Most of them are going on to public high school and have no idea what awaits them.

6. MrL

MrL Companion

May 13, 2008

They're all sent to an island with a bomb collar and a firearm. Only three are allowed to leave.

...what, didn't anyone else see Battle Royale and think of their kids?

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 14, 2008

:toofunny: There isn't anything quite like grade 8 students as the end of the year approaches, is there? Not only do I have to deal with them at school, I have one at home as well!

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 14, 2008

We show them the door, and stand there smiling and waving as they leave. Then we play the Hallelujah chorus over the intercom. Seriously. LOL

9. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

May 17, 2008

Very funny, Ima Teacher! I am going to suggest that!

The next to last day of school, our 8th graders go to the movies in the morning, come back for a cookout and activities (softball and volleyball tournament, cards, etc.). The last day of school, we have an 8th grade brunch and then the awards.

10. AF Mom

AF Mom Rookie

May 18, 2008

The last week of school we have two days for review, then on Wed. we have 2 final exams and 2 more on Thurs. The exams are 2 hours long for each core class. After exams on Thurs., we have 8th grade graduation practice. At 7:00 that night we have graduation and they go to some kids house for a party and it is 'bye bye'. We do have a small awards assembly on Fri. but not many kids show up. Oh, we release school at 1:00 on Wed, Thur, and Fri. This year we are off on Mon for Mem. Day and if the kids passed all of their 'TAKS' test they are exempt from coming to school on Tues. Guess their review will be pretty short. Sometimes you wonder if the administrators every pay any attention to what is going on with the kids. How do we review if they are not there? HUM!!! Anyway, I don't understand 8th grade graduation because they are just passing on to 9th grade. Right? Some schools here make it almost as big the high school graduation. What do they have to look forward to if they get it all in Ele. and MS? Just my thoughts!!. Thanks

11. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

May 19, 2008

My thoughts exactly! The only thing they seem to be missing is the Prom!

12. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

May 19, 2008

With the population of the school I teach at, this could be the only "graduation" parents get to attend. Many parents don't have more than an 8th grade education, if that.

13. Madrone

Madrone Rookie

May 19, 2008

Nothing

We don't acknowledge the achievement at all. I think we should have at least a certificate giving ceremony to mark the occasion.

14. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

May 19, 2008

Wow. That's pretty sad. They deserve someacknowledgement!

I don't think we need to go overboard on our 8th graders and do a whole mini-senior year for them. As I said before, this is it for some of our kids, not that we should expect them to drop out of school. Personally, I don't think we need to do a promotion ceremony. I wish our 8th grade dance could be longer and more formal. I think our 8th grade field trip is highly lame. I wish we were going to a water park or a real amusement park. I can't chaperone anyway, but I feel bad for the kids.

It has been interesting to see what other people do!

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 19, 2008

We have a huge graduation/promotion ceremony on Thurs. night of the last week. It is a big deal, and very dignified. Prior to the night, the 8th graders go to the beach with the tech teacher who films them goofing around on the shore. That video is shown as we wait for the ceremony to begin. There are still shots of all the other grades, too.

The 8th graders each make a speech (there's usually only around 10 of them), the president of the board of directors, the principal and assistant principal all make speeches. The graduates also light candles, dress in caps and gowns and process in and out. Students in grades K through 7 sit in the audience and sing some sort of farewell song to the graduates to honor them.

For several months, they worked on artwork which the school has framed and mounts on easels in the lobby of the theater where the graduation takes place. Everyone goes out and congratulates each graduate and admires their artwork at the end.

The kids arrange their own party at one classmate's house. The last day of school, the graduates may choose to go to the water park with the 5th through 7th graders, or simply stay home.