What do you do during those 5 minutes?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MrsCheerio, Mar 8, 2009.

1. MrsCheerio

MrsCheerio Rookie

Mar 8, 2009

Instructional time is so precious, I don't like to waste any of it. But what do you do when you only have about 5 minutes, which isn't enough to take anything out of desks (since it takes some kids 5 minutes just to find something)?

An example- We have class meeting in the morning and then we transition to other classrooms for focused instruction based on student need. Sometimes class meeting ends a bit early and we have 5 or so minutes before we need to head out of the door. What can I do during that time? I've seen my CT play "guess my number?" on the board, but what are some other ideas?

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2009

Maybe...Keep composition notebooks for writing. Have a writing prompt ready to go. For 4th graders, I would have them write an organized paragraph (topic sentence and supporting details) on a specific writing prompt. They need to learn how to put a good paragraph together in about 5 minutes..this would be daily practice toward that goal.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 8, 2009

I keep several stress balls on my desk (the soft, liquid filled onces work best). When we have a few spare minutes I'll start a review game by tossing one out and asking a question. If they answer correctly they get to toss to someone else and ask a question, if not, they have to toss it back to me. I'll also use that time to read to them. They love Shel Silverstein and other silly poems like that. If you have time you can do a quick Mad Lib, too. That's a fun way to review parts of speech and creative thinking.

5. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Mar 8, 2009

I'll have a chapter book that I'll read to them.

6. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Mar 8, 2009

I am in the process of making review cards for exactly this purpose. I am attaching several 3M hooks on cabinets to hold 3x5 cards with rings. For each subject or unit, I am making a set of review cards. During short amounts of time or while waiting in line, kids can take the ring of questions and review as a class or in small groups.

7. MrsCheerio

MrsCheerio Rookie

Mar 8, 2009

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I love the review game ideas.

Any others???

8. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 8, 2009

Math puzzles... I subbed for 3rd grade that did these every morning... It got them thinking and the kids loved them .

9. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Mar 8, 2009

Word Wall practice.. "My word is a science word that has seven letters... three consonants... part of the water cycle..." etc. We also sing some of our favorite academic songs whenever we get free time. They like the theme from Liberty's Kids, "Why Does the Sun Shine?" by They Might Be Giants, and "The Shot Heard 'Round the World" from Schoolhouse Rock. They have lyrics in their notebooks, but if that takes too long I have overhead copies that I can whip out.

10. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Mar 8, 2009

review, review, review........

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2009

I actually have a book at school called "5 Minute Games"...most of them are review games, and they do the trick! Otherwise, I'll play a version of silent ball that I like to call "Math Ball" (where they have to correctly answer a math fact or sit down. I also sometimes play the spelling game "sparkle" when we have time. It can be a quick game to fill in the time too. :)

12. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2009

Sparkle Spelling.

13. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2009

What is Sparkle Spelling?

14. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Mar 8, 2009

Sparkle spelling:

Have the students stand in line. They have to spell their spelling words (or any words that you are working on). Each student says one letter. When they are finished, the next student says "sparkle". The student who is behind the student who says sparkle has to go to the end of the line.

There are many different variations for this game! The rules I use- if the student says the wrong letter they have to go to the end of the line. Then you start the word over again with the student who was standing behind them.

It's pretty easy and fun. I've also played 20 questions- math style. I pick a number from 1 to 1000. And students have to ask "quality" questions to figure out the number. (is it odd? is there a 7 in it? etc etc).

I also play a math game with students that they love called 1, 1-2. Students stand in a circle and can say 1 or 2 numbers consecutively. Whoever has to say the number 9 is out and has to sit down. Then you keep going around the circle until there is one person left. Students love playing this and get really involved. (Example, I say 1, the person next to me says 2,3 then someone says 4,5 then 6, you get the point =)

15. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2009

Students have a book in their desk and they read, read, read. Half of the students come into fifth with a love of reading, almost all leave with a love of it. I think it's because all of the teachers in fourth and fifth are on "the same page" when it comes to independent reading. Pun intended.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 9, 2009

I bought the game 20 questions and we go through a couple of cards when there are a few free minutes. Sometimes we do a short Mad Libs. Other times, I might let them do a word search puzzle that relates in some way to a current topic or holiday.

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2009

I play Sparkle somewhat differently...in my version, after someone says sparkle, the next person sits down/is out. It helps the game move quickly and get to a winner in a short time. Then, we play multiple rounds when there's time...and I always do review words too to make sure they are continually studying!

18. yna2001_15

yna2001_15 New Member

Mar 9, 2009

have a singing activity with the whole class. :) in that way they will enjoy your class even you were just about to dismiss them.

19. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2009

I like to read to the class. Even when I taught 5th grade, they loved it!

20. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Mar 9, 2009

I sing a line of "We are family" and then give a number. They have to give the fact family for it. They really love this for some reason. The person who gets it correct gets to call out the next number and pick the person who can answer. We do this a lot at the bathroom also. I can only call on those who are showing great hallway behavior and following hall procedures.

We also make silly sentences. I call out 4 grammar parts--possessive noun, verb, contraction, exclamatory sentence. Then I call on one student at a time to give me a word for one of those parts. We create some silly sentences and they love it.

21. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 9, 2009

Singing!

Teach them some good learning songs. I am working on teaching my class all the traditional "American" songs I can this year.

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2009

When I would sub I would even do a game of hang the butterfly (instead of hangman) or something of that nature.

When I subbed in the older classes they loved it when I taught them how to count in Japanese.

Quick game of around the world or sparkle.

23. MrsCheerio

MrsCheerio Rookie

Mar 9, 2009

Thanks for all of the great ideas! I look forward to putting them to good use :)

24. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 9, 2009

Oh, there's the "I have - Who has" game, too. That's always great for quick review and fun.

25. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Mar 9, 2009

A 3rd grade teacher I sub for plays it this way too - the students sit down and are out if the student before them says "sparkle" of if they give the wrong letter.

26. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2009

The way I play it is that the person who says sparkle is the one who is out and sits down. (Along with anyone who says an incorrect letter.)

27. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 10, 2009

When we play Sparkle, students who are "out" can get back into the game if they can give the correct letter when a student makes a mistake. I just say, "If you know the correct letter, raise your hand," and call on the first hand I see. Then we continue the word from their spot. This means the kids have to keep paying attention; even if they've already said a letter in the word, it might come back to them.