What do you do after school is over for the day?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by amethyst, Sep 7, 2016.

1. amethyst

amethyst Companion

Sep 7, 2016

How late do you stay after school ends? What do you after that?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2016

Usually 6:30-7:30pm.
    Past couple years I'd take some stuff home and try to do a bit there, but not get much done. This year, I'm pushing myself to be okay with being here that late, but then requiring myself to leave everything (except books to read - whether from our classroom library or professional development, as an option) at school so that I can spend at least 1.5-2 hours with my wife either sitting back and watching a movie/show, going somewhere quick (but rarely), or just sitting back and reading.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 7, 2016

It really depends upon the day. The first weeks of school? I stay late and crash as soon as I get home. My house is a wreck.

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2016

Ha, this.

...as I look at my page-long list of "to-dos", and with our curriculum night tomorrow night and a meeting the next morning...:rofl:

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2016

I stay about 15 minutes. I clear my desk and email, run a few copies and head out to tutor. My school lets out at 3:10. Teachers are contracted to 3:15. Most leave at 3:15. The hallways are empty at 4. Work your contract. No one is going to reward you for staying thru the dinner hours.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 7, 2016

I have about five to several IEP meetings a month, plus 3 other types of meetings per month (SLP, SST, & SPED) to attend. It's about 1/2 & 1/2 BEFORE & AFTER school. When there's meetings after work, I could stay till about 4:30.

When school's over for the day, I just want to relax at home! :eek: I don't really go out anywhere after work M-Th. If I do, it's a very rare occasion.

linswin23 likes this.
  8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 7, 2016

Our school is over at 2:40, we're contracted until 2:55. I stay anywhere from 3 pm - 3:45, but I usually leave right after 3 pm.
    Ideally what I would do is this:
    go home, eat, relax a bit, go to store, run errands, go to the gym and then maybe even go for a walk. I do have to take my daughter to her evening college class 3 nights a week.

What I normally do:
    go home, eat, take a nap. Take my daughter to school and hardly ever make it to the gym. I do go for a long walk a couple of times a week.

What I plan on doing:
    there are 4 zumba classes / week, 2 of them are super early and I think that might work out better. I plan on taking 3 / week, and walk on the other days, and start jogging now that it's cooler. Once I get this under control, I'll have more energy to find the time to run errands and do stuff, and not take naps.

Backroads, linswin23 and Bunnie like this.
  9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2016

I usually leave at my contract time. My evenings are spent in the recliner watching DVR'ed shows.

10. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2016

I don't want to derail this thread at all, but this statement seems rather judgemental to those who may end up staying later, and I think very few stay due to thinking of "rewards" for doing so, but rather for a variety of reasons that we shouldn't clump into one group.

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  11. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Sep 7, 2016

Contracted time is 2:45 but I stay anywhere from 3-5. It all depends on what I need to get done.

12. MrK

MrK Rookie

Sep 7, 2016

School's out at 2:50 and we're contracted to 3:45P. But our principal doesn't watch the door, so I usually leave around 3:30. Lately I've been going to the gym after work and then coming home and relaxing. I'll check my e-mail from time to time, but I've been leaving work at work and I'm happier for it.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2016

Not judgmental. Just a veteran of several tough contract negotiations.

14. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Sep 7, 2016

Unless I have leadership meetings or IEP meetings, I leave at contract time, 3:15 every day. Every Wednesday we have early release for teacher PD, so on Wednesdays we usually are in meetings until 4.

czacza likes this.
  15. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Sep 7, 2016

Kids leave at 3:20, contract time is until 3:40.
    I usually stay no later than 4:30. I'll run copies, submit grades, prep for the next day, grade assignments, etc.
    Once I get home I relax and spend time with my hubby and puppy!

linswin23 likes this.
  16. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Sep 7, 2016

Last year I would stay about an hour or 2 after contracted time in the fall and winter. I also found myself crashing at home and needing a nap which was terrible for me. When spring rolled around I was leaving more at contracted time and staying late once in a while as needed. I had PT twice a week from March til May so that kept me busy after work, around April I added going to the gym to my schedule after work.

This year my goal is to leave at contracted time everyday unless there's things my coteacher and I need to do at work together. I got a puppy over the summer so she needs me to not work so late all the time and I'm still making time for my gym classes.

Tomorrow is the first day of school. I'm leaving at contracted time. I'll probably leave at contracted time Friday as well.

17. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Sep 7, 2016

My track record has never been consistent as to how long I stay after the kids leave. There are days where I'm the first one out and there are days I'm in my room until 6-6:30 and everyone else is gone. I am contracted to 4:30 and the kids are dismissed at 3:30.

Honestly, this year, I am trying to leave at 5 at the latest or be out by 4:30. I usually bring work home, but my brain is such mush by the end of the day I just have been saving it for my prep (which by luck is 1st period).

I love being a teacher, but this is my 6th year and I'm so over bringing work home. I want and need my evenings. I'm also way more productive and focused during my morning prep than 7:30 in the evening!

Backroads likes this.
  18. Nab

Nab Companion

Sep 7, 2016

As a first year teacher, I thought I should stay longer to prep for the next day, grade papers, etc. But, after a couple of weeks, I found I was more comfortable doing a lot of that at home. Unless I have calls to make or copies to make, I leave about 20-30 minutes after the students do. I usually just set my room up for the next day and check my box.

19. Janeway

Janeway Rookie

Sep 7, 2016

School ends at 2:15, teachers contracted to 2:45 and thats when I'm out the door and home by 3. Though usually at the end of the month I'll stay late, til 4:30-5 to make the next month's copies. To me, one of the perks of the job are the hours, of which I take full advantage.

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 7, 2016

Contract time is over at four. I grade papers, do paperwork, work on progress monitoring files, do lesson plans, update my website, and answer emails.

21. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Sep 8, 2016

My students are dismissed at 3:55 but for the last three weeks I have been staying anywhere from 5:30-7:30 at night. My school is very big on collaborative planning and this is my first year teaching at this grade/subject so all of the activities are new to me. One of the biggest problems is my school has 2 copiers for almost 90 teachers so part of the reason for staying so late is to make copies and collaborate with my mentor or other teachers on my team. I also get to school 30-45 minutes early each morning and still feel like I can't keep up. I am also in graduate school so I know that I need to do all teaching stuff at school because I am too tired to do anything when I get home. I am hoping that next year I will be able to leave within an hour after school.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2016

Our students are dismissed at 3:00; we are able to leave as soon as our students are safely on their way. Some teachers are gone by 3:10, others are there until closer to 6. I'm usually there for an hour or so after school. This week, it is so hot and humid in the building that we are all leaving as quickly as we can; it's just too uncomfortable to be there.

23. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 8, 2016

Different teachers are in different situations, and that affects how late they stay. I get 40 minutes for planning. That's only if I don't have an IEP meeting (My homeroom is the inclusion room, and I have to be at each of these.), grade level meeting, or some other meeting. By the time I get the kids to specials, I'm down a couple of minutes. My planning period is at 9:30. That means at most, I can grade my first rotation's papers. Most days I stay at least a half hour or so after. This year, I'm in a new grade level, so planning is taking a little longer. I'm having to create new Mimios, tests, etc, so it's more like an hour or so after. Personally, I don't judge a teacher by how long they stay after school. I know some really good teachers who leave right after the kids, and others who are there after me. I also know some ineffective teachers who leave right after the kids, and are able to do so because they do their planning and grading while students are in the room. And, I know a couple of teachers who are there for hours each day, and come up every weekend because they struggle with organization and time management. (They spend a fair amount of that time visiting with others, so they have to stay later to get their own stuff done.)
    After school I run any errands I need to and head home. I don't bring much work home with me, unless I'm working on a Mimio or collecting online resources. I'll also work on some online PD or researching new trends in education or strategies that I'd like to try in my room. Other than that, I relax, work in the yard (or I will when it cools off some lol), spend time with friends, etc.

24. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 8, 2016

remember that many teachers don't have the luxury of contract negotiations. My "contract" hours say I work from 8-4 unless I need more time to do what needs to be done (grading, copying, etc.), have meetings, attend athletic/arts events or am needed in any way by admin.

MY job cannot be successfully completed in the posted hours. At other schools, in other disciplines, I imagine it can. The teachers that teach science at my school and leave at 4 every day are unquestionably crappy teachers. Even the students that try to pad their GPA avoid their "easy-A" classes whenever possible. It isn't a matter of them being more efficient - they just don't do what needs to be done.

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 8, 2016

My students leave by 3 if I'm lucky and I have to stay until 3:15. By the time I clean up a bit and do a bit of paperwork it's already around 3:30. We have to leave lesson plans out on our desk before we leave sometimes I have to go print them out, make copies, etc. Friday is the one day I usually get to leave closer to 3:15. Also, once every few months I have a meeting either 3:15 or 3:30 but it happens so rarely I don't mind.

26. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 8, 2016

I stay till 4. (Contract) Tidy up, make sure I'm good for the morning.

After that I'm Mom.

czacza likes this.