What do you do after a bad day?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2019

I had a very rough day with my difficult class on Friday. Their behavior had honestly been getting better and it has been more manageable. They've done the Do Now silently and we've generally made it through the lessons. We haven't lost a day of instruction due to behavior since September and the pacing has been on track with my other classes. The previous week with them was really good because I had absent kids, but this week has been rough.

-Since testing is coming up, the other math teacher showed me how she uses the Do Now time to teach some of the content in our next unit that we won't get to teach before testing. This means that the Do Now is guided by the teacher and is a "mini-lesson." I tried that with this class and it was a disaster. The kids wouldn't stop talking and it took time to settle them in. The Do Now is a time when the kids sharpen pencils, etc. so this strategy probably won't work for them. I think I have to continue doing silent review Do Nows.
    -During instruction, my SmartBoard was having issues. I made a powerpoint and as soon as I wrote on it, the screen changed. It has happened for TWO days and only with my bad class. This caused a lot of disruptions to the lesson and the kids couldn't handle it.
    -The kids wouldn't stop talking. I told them that if it continued, classwork was silent, but then I realized that they wouldn't know how to do it anyways lol.
    -Kids constantly asking to go to the bathroom. I just said no and we have to wait. I let one kid go and one girl wouldn't stop complaining. I wish I was allowed to give the kids bathroom tickets. One girl just chose to walk out of the room.
    -After about 25 minutes, I was done and I said they get no more chances. One girl chose to start talking (as she has done the whole lesson and I called admin to take her. When the VP came, I told her that many kids are having difficulty meeting any expectation today and she stayed until the end of class. She also went to the girl who I called her for and noticed that this girl spent the entire period poking holes in other students' papers. The VP yelled at her especially when she complained that she didn't understand the lesson.
    -Since the VP was there, I finished the lesson. I just projected the worksheet using the document camera (which I should have done in the first place) since the SmartBoard wasn't working.

I won't see the kids until Wednesday due to testing, but I will see them on a 1/2 day and at the end of the day, so I know the behavior will be bad. I'm thinking of instituting a policy of "one warning, a consequence (detention or phone call home), and I will call the office if they still can't behave afterwards." I have about 5 very difficult students in this class that will continue talking even if I redirect them. My VP wasn't mad that I called the office and said that I was just trying to do my job and today was a rough day for behavior since testing was coming up. I have had to call the office on them 3 times this week: once to take someone's phone (refused to give it to me), once for defiant behavior, and yesterday. It is ridiculous. Thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 6, 2019

It does sound like they could benefit from a consistent set of consequences. We have the same one school-wide, so the kids aren’t surprised when things happen in a certain order.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. Aces

Aces Habitué

Apr 6, 2019

I go home, I pop the cap on a cold beer, put my feet up and spend time with my family. The boys might be doing homework or reading or whatever. Hubby is doing whatever if he's home and not working. It's not the fact we're actively doing something together, but rather that we're just in the same room with each other. That's my happy place.

...that and going to a gun range but

stephenpe and Backroads like this.
  5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Apr 6, 2019

Go to bed @ 4 pm.

6. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Apr 6, 2019

Count down to my next break.

7. rpan

rpan Cohort

Apr 6, 2019

Some days are good days and some will be bad. It’s just the nature of the beast. Bad days don’t mean they will go downhill henceforth, it just means the kids had a disruption in their routine and they responded badly. Even the most seasoned classroom managers have bad days once in a while. Next lesson, reiterate expectations and carry on as per normal. If you treat it as a normal day, not a testing day, it encourages them to treat it as a normal day too, and respond to you as they usually would.

When I have a bad day, I like to watch mindless tv and end my day as early as possible.

8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 7, 2019

That’s what I was thinking. The issue is that in my other classes, the kids listen to me and are better behaved so I wouldn’t call admin on a kid who has been talking 3 times. But maybe this is what this class needs? I sometimes tell some kids that they will have a detention if I have to speak with them again, but I usually never have to assign one. I've assigned so many detentions to kids in my bad class and it sucks to keep track of them. In my other classes, I generally don’t need to give consequences for talking and I just wait and it stops and it's not a big deal. I sometimes just call parents when a kid is getting too chatty or off task.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  9. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Apr 7, 2019

I just keep reminding myself that bad days rarely come back to back. The next day will likely be better. That, and...... chocolate.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  10. alp123

alp123 Companion

Apr 7, 2019

Drive home in silence, reflect, and hope for a better day. A glass of wine helps too. :)

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  11. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 7, 2019

Don't laugh - I used to go to the batting cages after school. I'm not an athlete, but I can hit a ball, and I found it therapeutic. I would hit them until I felt the tightness leave my body, and often I found my mind had cleared as well. I would put a pair of sneakers in the car, otherwise I swung away in whatever I had worn to work. I surprised some of the attendants, but truly found it helped. Give it a try - it's better than letting the day get under your skin, and you will find that the next day just seems better because you didn't start it with yesterday's tensions still on board.

Baroness and Ms.Holyoke like this.
  12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 8, 2019

I go to the gym or take a walk if the weather is nice. You can't bring all that stuff home with you in your head. Leave it at school. I just remind myself, "At least I'm not a parent to those monsters" :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Aces likes this.
  13. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Apr 8, 2019

Friday when I got home I went in my room and didn't talk to anyone for most of the evening. Just trying to make sense of it all. I came to the conclusion it's just not me. I am not the one who made the change, I was just the messenger. (long story short) my principal made some changes and I just delivered the message. They all took it out on me in the meeting last Thursday, like I was the one making the decisions. So Friday absolutely no one talked to me and really it's still going on today. My conclusion after Friday night's bad mood that it has nothing to do with me and it's more about their personalities. But 31 more days and I will be moving out of the hallway hell that I have been in for 6 years.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 8, 2019

That's a pretty juvenile way for your coworkers to act. Don't take it personally.They will be the ones who end up looking like fools.