What do you collect?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Upsadaisy, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 22, 2003

I'd be interested in knowing who collects stuff. Not clutter 'cause you can't throw anything away, but treasures you search for high and low.

I used to collect old children's primers, items made from old quilts (angels, hearts, pillows), Fire King bakeware, as well as old kitchen utensils - green and red wood handled objects. My new home doesn't really lend itself to these items as well as my old home did. So, I want a vicarious thrill! Anybody else out there like to scour the thrift stores looking for buried treasure? :rolleyes:

3. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Jun 22, 2003

How cool! - My best friend collects green handled kitchen utensils.

I collect pin back buttons. I try to stick to old ones, like political and advertising. But, if I see cheap buttons, I usually buy them.

I love to go to garage sales and auctions. It is so easy to buy stuff for the classroom for next to nothing! In fact the school I was in gave us $100 to spend over the summer in hopes that we would really stretch it by going to sales!

I hit a garage sale yesterday that had clothes for 25 cents each. She had a bunch of plus size clothes. I hardly ever find clothes that fit me. I bought 19 blouses and shirts, and 7 jeans and slacks! Only a few of them did not fit. - What a great find, I am so ready for school!

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jun 22, 2003

collections

I collected stuff B.M.- BEFORE marriage and before motherhood

Materials for my classroom, books on tape, class sets of books.
    Penguins, cows, glass bottles, silver charms from travels.

Got married and began collecting: massage oils, candles, and lingerie

My recent collections consist of underwear of varying sizes, oversize tshirts to sleep in, birkenstocks, bathtub toys.

My favorite finds are baskets. I dont like to use the plastic kind that are from eckerds/walgreens for organizing. Instead i LOVE going to thrift shops to find wicker baskets with handles that are perfect for displaying math manipulatives!!!

Brenda did you bargain with the clothes? That is the best thrill!
    My sister and her husband (big sports card collectors) went to a thrift shop, happened to ask the man if he had any. said he doesnt have them out yet but 30 HUGE boxes came in of a mans collection. they bought the entire lot at ten bucks a box and he has made that money back in two weeks of ebay sales and he has at least 28 boxes left.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 22, 2003

What a great find, Brenda. I always look for plus size stuff and it is tough to find. I don't do garage sales, though I love them, because it is just too hot in Florida for me. So I have to frequent Goodwill and Salvation Army. My mother (teapots) likes to poke around with me. I love to find a cache of teacher castoffs in the book bins. This weekend I found the following unused resources: Teacher Created Material's Calendar Activities, Write Now reproducible book, and a large phonics book (which I will donate to the K teacher). My best find - and splurge at $2 - was a wonderful Kindergarten Teacher's Month-by-Month activities manual. It is awesome. I'll give that to my colleague also. Anyone can buy brand new, off the shelf (and I love that too), but finding treasures in trash is a rush!!!

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 23, 2003

Let's see...

I have a HUGE children's books collect... my favorite finding place... THE THRIFT STORES!!!! I have boxes and boxes that I have still yet to take to school. I have Little Golden books that I WON'T take because my little ones like to eat and tear books. I have books that I've bought and forgot where I stuck them here at home... they are still in the bag... somewhere.

I LOVE ANGELS!!! I have Dreamsicles and other various angels all over the place. I have them in my den and my bedroom. My comforter has Rafael's Angels on it. I even found a cute purse with a cherub on it. You know those they have now that have cute painted pictures on them and bead accents. I go to auctions, too. I found a pair of CUTE angel lamps. I even have 3 different angel cookie jars...

Speaking of cookie jars. I have a small collection of those, too. I caught that bug from my parents. They have a HUGE cookie jar collection. I also collect Hull Pottery. My parents do, too... another bug I caught from them. They have a bigger collection than mine. I love helping them hunt for stuff. I love going to huge antique malls or towns with tons of little antique stores.

I guess another collection I have is decorative sweaters... teachery sweaters... LOL. Most are Storybook Knits brand. I got them off of Ebay. I would NEVER pay full price for them off of Home Shopping. I can't afford them from there. After my surgery, I'll have to try to shrink them in hot water since they will be too big for me by the time winter gets here.

Oh and going back to the angels... angel Christmas ornaments... and other ornaments... Every year I tell myself.. NO MORE ORNAMENTS!!! I have an angel tree... angels with gold and glass/crystal/see thru ornaments and tassels.

Then there is my Baby Beans doll collection... not to be confused with Beanie Babies. These are the Mattel dolls from the 70's. I've got several from the ones that talk, to the bare butts with the drop bottom pj's, to the mom and dad ones with little babies. I also have storybook ones... Little Red Riding Hood, Bo Peep, and Little Miss Muffet. There are a few by Hasbro that are advertisements... Peppermint Pattie, Baby Ruth and Dots. I haven't gotten a Choo Choo Charlie yet and I don't know what other dolls like them are still out there.

Well, i guess I just realized where all my money went now that I've written everything down... LOL!! NO WONDER I'm IN DEBT!!! HAHA!! I guess I should start a summer job next year selling some of this stuff on EBAY!!

Lori

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2003

I collect snowglobes on my own... I have about 40 of them only one is a duplicate. They are mostly Disney ones. I started with 1 my jr. year in high school and the most I've gotten is 5 around Xmas because my bday is close to then.

My husband and I collect spoons and shot glasses of places we've been to. I was looking at the shot glasses the other day...It's fun to look at those and remember the good times you've had. Now family and friends collect them for us. My sis spent a semester overseas when she was in college so we have some from Rome and London.

Music and movies is another thing. We enjoy watching movies and listening to music together. I also collect Disney movies...Had a great collection on VHS...now have to move to DVD.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 23, 2003

See, I knew teachers would be big collectors! We can't help ourselves.

We took inventory in the classroom at the end of the year. I have about 700 fiction titles. I wish I could read them all ...

Lori - I used to collect Hall pottery, not as expensive as Hull, and everywhere I asked for Hall, they said, "Hull?"

I love Jadeite anything.

9. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jun 24, 2003

I try not to collect to much stuff at home since I collect soooo much stuff at school. About the only things that I can call a collection are my Cat's Meow Villages (anyone ever heard of these?) and my David Winter Cottages (which I believe are no longer being produced :( ) My theory is: If I collect it and it sits on a shelf then I have to dust it :D

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2003

I have a few Cat's Meow and similar small houses buidings by Sheila. Have you been to Cat's Meow website? you can find shops with Cats Meow stuff for where you'll be visiting.

11. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jun 24, 2003

Yes I have seen the website. I just wish you could actually purchase from there. There are many pieces I would like from places I have visited previously. At least they sometimes list phone numbers where you can order.

12. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Jun 25, 2003

I collect Boyd Bears, and Snowglobes. I started collecting the bears when I first got married, and now everyone buys me one for any holiday, even though they are getting hard to find in my town.

My hubby collect pewter, and has a beautiful table to show it off.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 25, 2003

I love Boyd's bears. My favorite is one I got when my class theme was Busy Bees. It is a bear dressed as a bee. Of course. I also had beanie baby bears dressed as bees. Too cute. I don't like that they sell them on QVC, though. Takes the fun out of it.

14. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Jun 25, 2003

I have the bee one! One of my favorites though is the bear who is dressed like a ladybug. One of our themes is ladybugs, and the kids had such a great time with it that we extended the theme for one more week. One of the moms gave me a ladybug boyd bear to remember it by, I thought that was sweet.

15. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 27, 2003

lots of goodies

I collect anything with frogs or turtles. Actually my best friend does also so holiday gifts are full of goodies we know we'd love (yes we duplicate all the time! :) )
    I also collect Native American artifacts. Unfortunately I only have a few authentic items (in fact a good friend who is Choctaw just made a basket for my birthday!) most of my items are replicas that I fell in love with.
    I have always collected earrings...the weirder the better!
    I have one collection that was started by mistake. Some how my first year teaching the kids got the idea that I collect fridge magnets and from that point to now I get tons of them each year. I have so many I had to develop a rotation schedule for putting them on the fridge! :)

Christy

17. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Jun 29, 2003

I collect salt and pepper shakers and angels and of course books, too, too many books according to my husband. My babysitter's child was in my class this year and through the years she's seen me lug home tons and tons of little nick-knacks that the children have given me, which I appreciate, but have absolutely no use for! So this year she told me not to worry about useless nick-knacks, she was organizing the parents. And, it was worth the wait, they gave me a beautiful angel which plays The Wind Beneath My Wings, from Avon I think.

So does anyone else get tons of little nick-knacks that they have no use for and if so, what do you do with it? We have such a small town that I can't sell it at a yard sale or give it away for fear that someone will recognise what they have given me and be insulted. Also, what is the weirdest gift you have been given? I think mine was a stick of roll-on hair remover, I'm not hairy and what hair I have is fine blond so I don't think it was a hint:rolleyes:
    Dawn
    Hey, I must be finished school, I've actually had time to write 3 posts today!

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 29, 2003

That is the funniest thing I ever heard! Hair remover, what a riot. I have never gotten anything that strange. The funniest thing was when a child gave me an Easter Basket - the kind pre-made up, chock full of stuff, including a full size doll! I had a theme the first two years at this school (Busy Bees) and some kids still can't stop giving me bee things years later. I get a lot of my favorite gift, money. When I need to purge the knick-knacks, though, I tell the kids that everything is on display in my home office so I can look at it while I work at home.

19. crawtrapman

crawtrapman Rookie

Jul 9, 2003

collection

books, modern flint art, books, buttons, books, thimbles, books, postcards, and oh yeah books.

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2003

I'm with you on the books. Don't you feel bad that there isn't enough time to read them all? Well maybe it's cause mine are chapter books. I really think I should skim them all. I am obsessed.

21. Kathie

Kathie New Member

Jul 13, 2003

Hello,

I collect snowmen and have well over 100. My kitchen is done up in snowmen all year long. Since I hate the heat of summer (I live in Iowa) the snowmen remind of the cool of winter. The last few years I have had small classes so my students were able to come to my house in the winter after our can drive. They found out I collect snowmen and that is what I get as gifts all year long.

My wierdest gift was a pair of booties with those little puff balls on the heel. Who knows why.?.

All those little knick-knack gifts I get I give to one of my sisters and (if they can) they use them in their prize boxes at school. I have three sisters who also teach and they all teach in different cities in Iowa.

Kathie

22. daisy

daisy Rookie

Jul 27, 2003

state quarters, Precious Moments, Boyd's Bears, movies