what do you collect for your room over summer?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by new2FL, May 7, 2007.

1. new2FL

new2FL Companion

May 7, 2007

I am starting a new job at a new school in the fall, and I was wondering what all I should accumulate over summer. I have loads of classroom books and teacher resource books, and a fair amount of office supplies and classroom decorations. Can you think of big ticket items or things to collect gradually? What are your "can't live withouts"? i will be teaching 1st grade, but have also taught 2nd, preK, and preschool.

3. patti2

patti2 Cohort

May 7, 2007

Congrats on the new position!

Clorox wipes( I give each child one every Friday when they straighten their desks), extra markers (I usually make 4 tubs of student supplies: markers, crayons, colored pencils, and rulers/glue)-there are ALWAYS kids who run out and it is easy to pull these out when you have group projects.; tubs and bins;mailboxes; special printer paper for notes home

4. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

May 8, 2007

besides the usual cant live without school supplies,
    hunt for board games at yard sales
    A vase for flowers if you receive them on the first day
    and
    paper plates for the first day drawing activity.

One activity I saw from a first year teacher was to make a banner of all the picnic plates that the students drew on about their summer vacation.

#......##.....#
    #.....###....#.#
    #....####...#.#
    #...#####..#.#.............(this is supposed to look like
    #...#####..#.#........1 fork, 1 plate, 1 knife, and 1 spoon)
    #....####...#.#
    #......##.....#.#

The spoon, fork, and knife are all found at dollar stores. Amd she had a checker board type pattern in red and black as the backdrop.

What I do for The first day is:

create a welcome package
    an I spy activity
    name games
    Daily Phsyical Activty (D.P.A.) activity
    and a power point about me.

You need to make it real for the kids and a powerpoint or pictures of your life outside of the classroom help to break the ice.

If you have a pet, like a dog, or rabbit, consider bringing it in sometime during the first week to vist the new class. then have a writing prompt using the pet as a main character. (if it is a dog, have someone bring them for a period, and then take them home.) a caged pet can stay the day. Birds are cool especially if it is a parrot.

just some ideas to spark your interest
    Good luck,
    Mr. Skinner :D

5. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

May 8, 2007

Just wait - go in and sort out what you need after a few weeks. I over-prepared for the first day - stressed and planned for weeks, reading heaps of books and making endless plans. It actually all happened really naturally (sounds like childbirth:D ). I chatted for a while, got the kids to write about their holidays, did a maths chart of birthdays and generally sorted ourselves out.

I spent a lot of money getting stuff for my room and ended up realising that I didn't need most of it. I really would wait - save your money and begin a wish list as you go.

Just my opinion;)

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

May 8, 2007

I just stock up on the good deals at the stores before school starts... Like the 1 cent folders that you can get many of for the price of one normally and 10 cent crayons and 5 cent notebooks etc...

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 8, 2007

Over the summer I watch garage sales and dollar stores for prizes for the classroom. I love putting "odd" things in my room for decoration. I just bought a coconut carved to look like a gorilla's face for a quarter. I love him and the kids think he is very cool! :) I'm always on the lookout for books, too.