What do you carry your things in and where did you get it?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by miss_ali1984, Aug 2, 2010.

1. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Aug 2, 2010

Last year during residency, I had this GREAT giant canvas bag that I put all my stuff in, but one of the straps broke and now I'm at a loss.

What do you carry things to and from home in? Where did you get it?

3. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 2, 2010

I have different types of bags and totes that I've been given at workshops. I like one that has small pockets on the outside, has room for many books, it has comfortable straps, and a big zipper.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2010

I've been using a briefcase from Lands End (or maybe LL Bean?) for YEARS...I'm a bit of a creature of habit...

5. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Aug 2, 2010

I have 100000000 bags... many are from different inservices. I have a big vera bradley DIAPER BAG... (lol) that I love. Its roomy, has pockets and zips. I also have a big canvas bag that a grandma made me (last years class) it has pretty fluffy-ish stuff around the top. MOSTLY I try to keep it down to my SMALL vera tote. I try to grade each night and not take a ton home!

6. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 2, 2010

I love the Vera Bradley bags... I would personally not buy one myself because they are so expensive, but have been given them as gifts (I'm really cheap, I don't spend that kind of money on things like that). I have to say that mine have held up amazingly well over the years. Mine is huge! I love that I can shove papers, books, binders, and my laptop in it! I think this one is the style of mine:
    http://www.verabradley.com/product/Category/Totes/Vera/154766/defaultColor/Make%20Me%20Blush/pc/638/p/154766/sc/642/c/0.uts

You could probably find one on Ebay or Amazon. I'm picky about my bags because I carry so much stuff home every night, so I need something that can hold a lot of stuff, and withstand a lot of beating!

7. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 2, 2010

I use a Jansport backpack.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2010

Vera Bradley has online sales every week. Check their website.

9. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Aug 2, 2010

I received a Bandolino tote bag that I loved. It held a lot but then the buckles on the straps broke. It took a year to find replacement buckles (Actually, I posted on a board and someone found them for me!) I recently took it to the shoemaker to get fixed. Probably cost as much as the bag did in the first place. Otherwise, I usually use an Office Depot or Staples teacher bag.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 2, 2010

I actually got a great bag at Target last year. It's big enough to carry everything and has a bit of a stiff exterior so I can set it down and it stands up straight-it's really held up remarkably well!

11. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2010

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my giant tote bag from LL bean. The straps are just the right length and it's very sturdy and strong. The only problem is that it can get heavy!

12. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 3, 2010

Does anyone have a rolling backpack? I'd like a nice one for my stuff, but all I'm finding are the kid ones that are cheap. I'm willing to spend a little money for something that will last. I really like the idea of having it roll but also be something I can wear on my back.

13. cutelilram

cutelilram Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

I use L.L. Bean's zip top tote because my school has bug problems and my house doesn't and I would like to keep it that way. The zip top tote is great. It is strong and durable, plus it has some nice colors to choose from.

14. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Aug 3, 2010

I find it interesting that no one uses one of those rolling box thingies. I've heard a lot of teachers swear by them but I have always thought that they might be a bit cumbersome. Anywhoo, thanks everyone!
    -Ali

15. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 3, 2010

I use a rolling bag...love it!

16. Securis

Securis Cohort

Aug 3, 2010

A small Adidas backpack that I purchased at a small western retail store akin to a mini walmart for $20. I've carried everything from 80 lb quartzite boulders, puppies, to overnight clothing in it. I've had it for several years and I jokingly refer to it as my 'man purse'. It might be time for an upgrade, though.

17. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 3, 2010

Can the Vera Bradley totes carry a lot of weight? I have 2 purses, but I wonder how the totes will hold up. I like to carry a lot of stuff all the time so I always have it...

18. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 3, 2010

Speaking of Vera, one of my purses ripped last week. The magnetic clip that closes the bag ripped away from the fabric...really bad, actually. Think I can get it fixed for free if I call? The bag is only 2 years old.

19. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 3, 2010

I have a Zuca rolling bag that I just love. It can hold vast quantities of books and papers and is very sturdy. The case for my laptop fits over the handle, so everything stays together.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2010

My room is on the second floor--anything that rolls isn't practical.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2010

Up until a few years ago I used a leather briefcase. My last one was teal- it was gorgeous!!

But the doctor doesn't want me carrying leather- it's too heavy.

For the past 2 years, I've used a canvas tote from Disney World. Not exactly professional, but at this point, most of my kids know my Disney obsession and find it cute.

For next year, I'm considering either a Vera Bradley or a Donna Sharp tote. I want something roomy, with a few pockets (for calculator and a box of chalk in case I'm in multiple rooms) and preferably something I can close for rainy or snowy days.

I agree with Mrs. C-- last year I traveled a LOT from room 107 up (and across a courtyard, over 2 small bridges that cross a tiny waterway) to rooms 229 and 235)-- wheels would NOT work for me!!

22. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 3, 2010

23. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 3, 2010

I do use a rolling cart that I got from Amazon. I don't have any stairs to deal with. However, I only tend to use if I have a ton of stuff to take home or back to school. It has been a godsend as I work on my room.

If I don't need the cart, I just carry what I need.

24. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2010

I like to use a bag as small as possible. I try to leave school at school so I typically just carry my lunch, my teacher organization binder and a water bottle.

I use a vera bradley black backpack.

25. heymrsp

heymrsp Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

Another Vote for Vera Bradley. I buy a new school bag each fall and Spring...I'm a little addicted! LOL! I also carry vera purses and have nothing but good things to say about the quality!

26. haleybug

haleybug Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

A fellow teacher purchased a rolling scrapbooking bookbag. It has all kinds of pockets and different sections to organize everything. It was a little expensive but it has lasted a year so far! She got it at hobby lobby.

27. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 3, 2010

I have been using a black bag with a zipper that I got as a present from my parents about 7 years ago and I LOVE it! It is still going strong! I think they purchased it at Macy's!

However, I might ask for a Vera Bradley bag to carry my things. I really do not take a whole lot home with me since I do stay after school for about and hour to get work done!

28. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Aug 3, 2010

I use a canvas beach bag that I bought at target. It has a leather bottom, so it won't tear through when it is loaded. I've had it for a couple of years.

29. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2010

I would definitely call and ask. It's worth a shot, and you might be surprised.

30. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 3, 2010

I called, they told me to bring the bag to a local reseller. \\If they deem it defective they will handle a replacement. The reseller near me is really great; I have a hunch they'll hook me up :)

31. patriciaparker

patriciaparker New Member

Aug 4, 2010

I love large tote bags and I have a nice little collection at home. Some of them are quite frilly and delicate, so not exactly appropriate for carrying anything too heavy. But I also have a couple of classy ones from Coach and Briggs & Riley. I use the Coach tote for formal occasions and the Briggs & Riley tote as my everyday bag as it’s extremely functional, sturdy, and capacious!

32. MoreToLearn

MoreToLearn Rookie

Aug 4, 2010

Jansport has them that are really sturdy. I was a temp at a bookstore during college and nearly bought one. They come in all different colors and designs, from spots to stripes to solid colors. They hold a TON of stuff, too. At the store I was at they were like $75, but you might be able to find them cheaper.

33. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 4, 2010

LOL - I use a big giant rubbermaid container that I got from Walmart (or somewhere similar). Much of what I carry back and forth is materials that are in the middle of being made and its a matter of if I decide to work on it in the middle of paper work in the evenings or not. I bring it to school each day because if anyone in the room has down time, they grab something from my bin and work on it.

My paper work is done on the computer and tabulating data is done at school before I leave school and put on the computer so I don't carry that back and forth.

34. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 5, 2010

I use huge corded canvas one from Moop- moopshop.com

I have the messenger and it is HUGE--it could fit my laptop, 2 textbooks, a notebook, a novel and the other misc stuff i carry like water bottle, wallet etc.
    The Porter is even bigger.
    The shop is right near my house and they hand make every bag