What do you call your parents?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ms. yi, Aug 4, 2009.

1. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

I've always called my parents by their last names which is no easy task in this day and age. You have parents who are divorced or have different last names just because.

Anyway, I'm finding myself wanting to address certain parents by their first names. I'm talking about the parents that you end up working very closely with throughout the year, like your homeroom parents and frequent volunteers.

I haven't yet but what do you guys think? Does anyone here call your parents by their first names? If so, which ones and in what context? Thanks.

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 4, 2009

I call all parents by their first names. If I'm calling home, for example, I'll say, "Hi, is Jim or Cathy available?" I also call parents that help out frequently by first name. I think most of them introduce themselves that way. I actually try not to address them as often as possible, because I'm not really sure what I should call them...

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2009

Mr------, Mrs------ or Ms----. I usually have info regarding parent names on my class lists so if the parents use different last names I have a heads' up. The only parents I address by first name are parents who have become my friends, whom I see socially outside of school and I only use their first names outside of school.

I want to be called Mrs ________ by my students and their parents.

5. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

I start off calling them Mr and Mrs, b/c that's what I want them to call me. I am about their age and I feel if they call me Beth they think I am their friend more than their child's teacher (this was esp. a big point to me when I was starting out and younger than all my parents). If I have worked closely with them in the past, or end up forming a closer relationship b/c they're always in the school/my room, etc, I usually end up calling them by their first name, and inevitably them too. I don't like them calling me Beth in front of my students, though.

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 4, 2009

Everyone at my school uses first names - students, teachers, parents, staff...

7. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 4, 2009

I call my parents "Mom" and "Dad." ;)

Now, if you're talking about my students' parents, I always wonder about this. I usually use their last name. A lot of our students are Hispanic, so their parents have two different names. It's a pain to remember them, but better than accidentally offending. Same with a lot of single moms whose children have different names...lots of names to remember, but worth the effort.

If a parent says, "Call me Jane," then I generally do.

8. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 4, 2009

I use Mr., Ms., or Mrs. with my students' parents.

I want them to address me as Mrs. GoldenPoppy.

9. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2009

I call most of my parents by their first name. I teach in a small town so everyone knows one another.

10. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

I'm glad to see so many different responses. I think that I'll address parents by their first name only when it feels natural to do so. It's reassuring to know that other teachers do this too.

11. fawyndra

fawyndra Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

For me, it depends on the parent and how close I am to them. At the beginning of the year everyone is Mr. or Mrs. ____ but as the year goes on, you get pretty close to some of the parent helpers, and it only seems natural to address them by their first name. However... I always go by "Miss Lisa" to them, because it is important to me that the kids know that they cannot drop the title. (Although I do wish our school did Mrs. last name instead of everyone, even us married people, as Miss first name... sigh, not my choice).

12. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

I don't really care either way what parents call me. I call them Mr./Ms. If they ask me to call them by first name, I extend my first name as well. I find out from the students if their parents have different last names and other titles I should be aware of.

13. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 4, 2009

Ditto for me. The worst for me is when a sub is a friend of the students(which happens alot in my school) and they call the sub by their first name. I nip that in the bud immediately.

14. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 4, 2009

I call them by Ms. or Mr. unless they ask me to do otherwise. I had one parent (a dad) who absolutely insisted I call him by his first name, so I did. However, he also had his son call him by his first name rather than Dad -- so it was one of those strange things. I mean, I can respect that.

The funniest thing was the year I had my neighbor's son. In the neighborhood of course we (his mom and I) called each other by our first names, but in the school (in front of the kids) it was Ms. and Mrs. Her son had no problem switching from calling me Ms. Rain (which he called me in the neighborhood) to Ms. Storm (my name at school.)

15. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2009

I am close friends with a former student's parents and she has 3 other kids as well that I frequently babysit. They know to call me by my last name at school. It was kind of funny when one of them acknowledged me by my first name at school and my whole class was wondering who the kid was talking to and why they called me by a wrong name.

I DO often use my first name when I am modeling things to my students that require my name.

16. mclaugcr

mclaugcr Companion

Aug 4, 2009

I always call parents Mr.___________ or Mrs./Ms. ____________. This works well for me. Though, when I was teaching special ed, and would have the same kids for 2-3 years in a row, it felt more comfortable calling them by their first name. :blush:

I do this too!! ;)

17. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2009

I use last names until I am comfortable. I have had several parents & siblings- usually by the second or third sibling I am on a first name basis.

18. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2009

I call them by their last name(s).

I really don't want the parents to call me by my first name, either. Just a quirk of mine.

(And if you think I am a fuddy-duddy -- nope. My 26-year-old son has always called his dad and me by our first names, even as a tot.)

19. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

I had a professor that did this in college and I always wondered why he used the same name in his examples. It took me half the semester to realize it was his first name! :lol:

20. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 5, 2009

I use Mr./Mrs. when calling. The hardest is calling to let them know I'm their new teacher and I don't know who the kid lives with so I always say, "is this Jane's house?" then proceed to say, "I'm their kindergarten teacher!"

I do the same! I always write my real first name. I teach kinder so I explain that the name my friends call me is "Amanda" but they have to call me Mrs. Soandso. One of my children said, "wow! I thought your first name was Mrs.!" :lol:

21. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 5, 2009

I expect them to call me Miss K. so I call them Mr. and Mrs.

Some parents have become friends through the years, but I only call them by their first name when I am talking to them as a friend. If I have something to say or write to them about school, I go with Mr and Mrs.

22. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Aug 5, 2009

I always use Mrs. Ms. & Mr. It is just more respectful in my opinion. If a parent asks me to call them by their first name, then I will, but otherwise, I like the formality of Mr. & Mrs.

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2009

I also use their last name. I've called parents sweety too!!! I am bad with names and call all of my students sweety, sooo, sometimes I'll get into that habit and call everyone else around me sweety. :D

24. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2009

I love it when they expect me to remember that mom has johnny on monday and wednesdays every other week, dad has him on tues and thurs every other week and grandma has him the second day of the third month every four months and I'm not allowed to send papers home when girlfriend is staying at Dad's but it's okay when mom's boyfriend comes to visit. Eeekkk!

25. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2009

I had to deal with this last year when I taught kinder!! UGH! It was so hard to remember, especially when figuring out the bus issue.

26. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2009

Same here. I call them by their first name, as they do me. Kids too.

27. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Aug 5, 2009

Request a copy of the custody decree. Most divorced parents (BOTH) have the legal right to see anything sent home by the school. It is NOT up to the teacher to censor anything. If it is sent home by the school, it should go to BOTH parents. The teacher's / school's job is to share the information... the parents' job is to keep the teacher and the child OUT OF THE MIDDLE of all of it.

28. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 5, 2009

:yeahthat:

29. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2009

I will request a copy of the decree. My point was that I could never remember where johnny was going and if Mom would ever find out there was a class party next because dad forgot to inform her because the night I sent home papers he was with Dad. They were both legally able to get info - I just couldn't be the communicator between them. I started sending home 2 notes of everything AND it's posted on my website. There are more than enough ways to get info now!

30. ohyougirl

ohyougirl Rookie

Aug 5, 2009

I call parents by their first names (unless I blank, but during conferences, I use first names). I also introduce myself to parents with my first and last name. I do let them know that I prefer they use my first name. (If they call me Mrs. Teacher, I correct them with, "please, call me Katie"). My kids are 5th graders and know to call me by my last name. It's NEVER been an issue.

My personal opinion is that the child's parents and I are partners in the child's education. I call my coworkers by their first names. I find that it gets parents to relax around me a bit so we can get down to the nitty gritty.

31. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 7, 2009

Parents here call me by my first name, as does every teacher in my school. I call most parents by their last name at first, but that usually changes when I say you can call me Brendan.