What do you call your in- laws and S.O. Family members?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Em_Catz, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Mar 20, 2013

Fiancé calls my mom Ms. first name and my dad Doc Lastname. He doesn't call my aunts and uncles anything, he just starts talking to Them. I call his parents Mr and Mrs. Lastname. I call his aunt Auntie First Name. How about you guys?

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2013

My esposo's dad is Don (first name). "Don" being the equivalent of Mr... sort of. It shows a level of respect without being too over the top. Everyone else in his family is first name basis, and everyone in my family is first name basis.

4. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Mar 20, 2013

I call my husband's mom by her first name. I call his grandparents "Grandma-first name" and his aunts and uncles I call my first names.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 20, 2013

I don't call BF's parents anything really. If I had to address them it would be Mr. and Mrs. Last Name. It's the same with him with my parents.

My mom's parents are still alive and my dad calls my mom's mom "mom". But my two aunts who married in call her by her first name.

6. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Mar 20, 2013

My husband's parents & family members I just call by their first names. While we were dating, it would be Mr./Mrs. but now it's just first names. His aunts & uncles I don't see that often, but I guess I typically say Aunt____ etc.

Honestly when I'm speaking to them, unless I specifically need their attention and we don't make eye contact, I don't need to address them a certain way.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 20, 2013

My ex always called my parents Mr. & Mrs. LastName. I never really called them anything, I don't think. We'd just start talking. We were from different tons, so nobody knew them here. I'd refer to them as Husband's parents.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2013

First names.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2013

I use first names for my hoosband's immediate family. I call his aunts and uncles "Aunt Firstname" and "Uncle Firstname" just like the rest of the family does. When his grandparents were alive, I called his grandmother by her first name and his grandfather "Daddy Firstname" (which is what everyone else called him--it's a Southern thing, I guess).

My hoosband calls my immediate family by their first names, except for my mom, whom he usually calls "Miss Firstname". He calls my aunts and uncles "Aunt Firstname" or "Auntie Firstname" and "Uncle Firstname", just like I call them. Most of my grandparents are deceased, but I imagine that he'd probably call the men by their first names and the women by "Miss Firstname".

10. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Mar 20, 2013

I called my in-laws by their first names, but it took me awhile to get used to it.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 21, 2013

I don't have in-laws yet, but I called my BF's mom Mrs. ___ for a long time & then the few times maybe that she left me a phone voice message or a rareemail, she'd end it with just her 1st name. So I guess I'll call her by her 1st name. My BF has always called my parents Mr. & Mrs. ___. If we get married, I think we'll just all call each other's parents by their first names.

I know I'll never call any other woman, "Mom" because that's a special title meant for my own mother.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2013

I call my in laws Mom and Dad and hubs's aunts/uncles by their first names.

13. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 21, 2013

To their faces or behind their backs???

I'm just kidding, I don't mind them, and I do call them by first name.

14. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Mar 27, 2013

First names all around. I don't call my own aunts and uncles anything other than their first names.

15. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2013

My husband started calling my parents by Ms. First Name and Mr. First Name but as our kids were born, he began to call them Gigi and Pawsie which is what our kids call them. I call his parents Ms. First Name and Mr. First Name. The rest of the family, I call them whatever he calls them and he calls them whatever I call them.

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2013

I call Mil Suegra which is Mil in spanish. I cal FIL suegro (i bet I don't need to explain that one) and everyone else I call by their first names. Some of my DH's aunts I also call them aunt (tia). To tell you the truth I am not sure how I should call them but this seems to work.

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 30, 2013

Their first names.

18. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2013

I call them the OUT-LAWS!
    They know it too, and it is what it is.:lol:
    Rebel1

19. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 31, 2013

First names for dh's parents/step parents. For dh's aunts and uncles I call them "Aunt First Name." So if he calls her "Aunt Jen" then I say "Aunt Jen" as well even though it's his aunt and not mine. Same goes for him, he's called my parents by their first names since the time we dated.

20. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Apr 1, 2013

When my inlaws were alive, I called them Mom and Dad.