What do you call your higher ups...?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by silverspoon65, Jul 28, 2009.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

Or even your colleagues in general?

At the school I am leaving, I always used first names, which is pretty typical of most of the people there, except I might use a last name if it is in front of a class or something.

It seems like at my new school, everyone says Mrs. and Mr., for higher ups, secretaries, and maybe other teachers (haven't met too many yet). It seems weird and artificial to me - I don't like it. Maybe it will change as I am there longer.

What about at your schools?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2009

Any member of the religious order that runs our school is either "Brother" or "Father."

Two staff members are the fathers of faculty members. They're "Mr."

Everyone else is addressed by their first name.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

Everyone at my school uses first names (admin, staff, parents, students, everyone!)

5. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

Jul 28, 2009

Everyone at my old school used first names.

6. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

At a new job, I use Mr. and Mrs. but never has that stuck for very long. We are all on a first name basis now!

7. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 28, 2009

We use 1st names for everyone.

8. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

It irked me to get emails from HR departments about my application. They always wrote "Dear Molly," or "Molly," or "Hello Molly," but they always signed "Mr/s/rs/ Whatever"

I felt that was a bit disrespectful. If worried about gender, "Dear Molly Doll," would have worked.

Am I an old fashioned fuddy duddy?

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 28, 2009

I teach at the same school I attended, so by habit, I call the teachers who taught me Mr. or Mrs. It feels weird not to. Oh, and both admins are Mr. Everyone else is first name. My principal is big on Mr./Mrs. though, so he calls us all by title. Doesn't matter if it is teacher, cook, secretary, whatever.

10. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

Mr. and Ms. until they ask me to call them by first name. In front of students, always by title.

I can understand how you feel when you say it feels artificial. When I moved down South, it felt artificial to me to be called "sir" not just by strangers, but by children I know well. Now I hardly even notice -- hopefully you will get used to it in time.

11. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 28, 2009

At my school (when students are not present) it's first names.

12. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

Everyone calls my principal Mrs.
    Everyone else goes by their first names except for in front of students and then it's Mr. or Mrs.

13. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

We all use first names..teachers, principal and other admin, office staff, etc....

14. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

My principal goes by a nickname and everyone else is called by 1st names.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2009

I'm not sure yet. I don't feel comfortable calling my P by his first name. The staff uses each others first name. It's funny but at my old school I had no trouble calling admin by their first names.

16. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

Sometimes the school atmosphere can really determine whether first or last name feels more natural.

17. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

We use first names, unless there are students around then we break out the Mr. and Mrs.

18. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

Same here.

19. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

I call my P and AP by "Mr." With the rest of the staff, it's about 50-50 using Mr. and first names. Both are younger than me, but I still have a hard time calling my bosses by their first names during the school day. My P and AP have never insisted on being called Mr. but doing a quick check in my memory bank, I think most of over 40teachers use the Mr. instead of just first name. Like others, teachers, office staff and other personnel are all on a first name basis except in front of students.

20. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

Idiots.

I kid, I kid. Actually, I've never really had any problems with higher ups, and my principals/vice principals have all been quite wonderful. I have always called them by their first name, both in school and district office staff.

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2009

That's just it. These two principals didn't warrant my respect so I didn't feel obligated to call them by their last names. Now, I haven't really gotten to know my current P, but from the interview I can tell I'll respect him.

22. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

We mostly call everyone by first names, except when we talk to them in front of the students. I have friend's that I teach with and their children attend our school, they call me by first name too...one even a nickname, it'd feel too wierd if they called me miss so and so!

23. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

We go by first names for everyone, principals and secretaries included. I was a student at the school I teach at and a couple of the teachers are still here. It was so weird calling them by their first name, but I got over it.

24. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 28, 2009

First names for everyone except for when students are present, then it is Mr./Mrs.

25. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 28, 2009

It depends on how well I know the person. If it is a colleague that I associate with outside of work, then I call them by their first names when no students are around. If I don't associate with them outside of work, then I usually call them Mr./Ms. around children, and just their last names w/o the titles when no children are around. The admin I refer to with titles. It would feel weird to call my P and AP by their first names, plus they both have the same first name.

26. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 28, 2009

Mostly we go by first names, although there are a few teachers we call by their last name without the Mr/Mrs. Like "Jones", i don't know why but when newbies call them by their first names it just sounds weird. LOL

Higher ups I always call by Mr/Mrs, except my first P, I will always call him Boss and he still calls me Probie. :)

There is one teacher who calls teachers Mr/Mrs with their first name. I HATE that. Miss Lisa... Mr Brian, it just bugs me A LOT

27. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

On a first name basis with everyone.
    If students are present Mr. or Mrs.

28. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 28, 2009

Funny the differences. Last names for everyone at my school.

29. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 28, 2009

We are all on a first name basis. Even with the P and AP I call them by their first name.

30. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Jul 28, 2009

Most of my students know their teachers by their first name. So when students are around I refer to the person as Mr./ Mrs. first name. When students are not around it's just first name basis.

31. 49erteacher

49erteacher Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

At the other schools I worked at, we called people by their first names when children were not around, and used Mr. or Ms. last name around children (except one teacher who used Ms. first name or Mr. first name around or with children).

At my current school, it is Mr., Ms. even when children are not around. It seems weird to me, and I think it shows that we are not a close school. :unsure:

32. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jul 29, 2009

Around the children, always Mrs/Miss/Mr So and So, with teammates and friends, first names, but often the younger teachers will address the older teachers by title/last name. It depends-people often do both. Neither bothers me.

33. lovetoshop

lovetoshop Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

I also work at the school I attended. My kindergarten teacher's classroom is right beside mine, it's weird to call her by first name. I call the teachers Mrs./Ms./Mr. whatever unless I know them on a personal level, then I call them by their first names when students aren't around. I have a few cousins that see me in the hall, wave and call me by my first name, but it hasn't been a problem....yet. They'll be in Kindergarten this year so we'll see!