What do you call this activity?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mkate, Mar 14, 2010.

1. mkate

mkate Comrade

Mar 14, 2010

Okay, here in Spain there is a popular activity for young children which involves punching holes on paper in a pattern, or inside the contours of a shape, etc. They use an instrument that is kind of like a a pencil but has a blunt metal tip, and they have a mat under the paper to protect the table surface.

I am supposed to be using English with them, but I have no idea what to call the activity (they call it: picar) or the implement (they call it punzón.) Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

3. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Mar 14, 2010

Punching Holes?

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 14, 2010

There is probably a scrapbooking or art term for this. I will wait for others to chime in.

5. @preschool

@preschool Rookie

Mar 14, 2010

are u talking about a eyelet setter?

6. mkate

mkate Comrade

Mar 14, 2010

I don't know, it could be an eyelet setter (I don't know what that is, either!) though this is something sold especially for use in preschool so it is probably its own thing, so to speak. I think I will call it "hole puncher" if no one knows a better term, though it is quite different from what we would normally think of as a hole puncher.

It is a nice activity for building fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination, though I guess it is not something that is done in the US-- I imagine the lawsuit potential in case of accidental (or otherwise) injury would be much too high!

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 14, 2010

We call it perforating/perforation - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perforation

I love it and the kids do too. I really like doing it on a boot pattern when we learn about cowboys to simulate "tooling" on leather.

8. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Mar 14, 2010

Where do you purchase it and any chance you can attach a picture of it? I'm curious as to what it looks like.