What do you call digraphs in your classroom?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by cml88, Feb 3, 2013.

1. cml88

cml88 Companion

Feb 3, 2013

I was wondering what you called digraphs in your classroom. I want to introduce them to my kids tomorrow starting with 'th', but I don't really want to use the term "Digraph". I've heard teachers refer to them as the "h cousins", which I'm not in love with, and I've also heard teachers call them "chunks". Chunks would make sense to kids, but I think it could get confusing if their future teachers use chunks for something else...ANYWAYS...Do you call them digraphs with your little ones? or do you have another name?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2013

We use the word digraphs, but I also call them the h brothers.

I would stay away from chunks because it could get confusing for students later in reading.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2013

I didn't call them anything in K....just taught that sometimes consonants work together to make a new sound. You can float the digraph word, but I wouldn't spend much time on it. The most important thing is for emergent readers to know the sound/letters correspondence represented by these.:unsure:

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Feb 3, 2013

Exactly what czacza said. I didn't call them anything. We just talked about the sound t and h made when they worked together. Same with ch and sh and, to a lesser extent, wh.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 3, 2013

To be honest, I never heard of things like diagraphs until joining A to Z. I don't think kindergarteners need to know these things.

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Feb 3, 2013

I use the SPIRE reading program in my sped classroom, and they are referred to as "letter teams" in that program. So that is what I call them. It has us draw smiles underneath the two letters when used within words to show that they work together as a team. I teach the kids that letter teams make a different sound than the individual letters do.

8. cml88

cml88 Companion

Feb 3, 2013

I love the idea of letter teams! Thanks!

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 3, 2013

If you call them letter teams, how do you differentiate between blends and diagraphs?

10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Feb 3, 2013

SPIRE doesn't explicitly teach consonant blends, so I still call those blends when I bring in supplemental materials.