What do you bring for lunch??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by preschoolgal, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Aug 6, 2008

SO JEALOUS.

2. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Aug 6, 2008

I usually have any of the following:

~PB&J sandwich, meat & cheese sandwich
    ~bean, cheese & rice burrito (I make them and freeze them)
    ~salads
    ~leftovers
    ~cottage cheese w/fruit
    ~yogurt w/fruit
    ~some kind of granola bar/cracker

Regardless, I always make sure to have something w/protein and dairy and I always bring a fruit/vegetable.

I like the cereal idea!! And freezing the PB&J's!!

3. teachme

teachme Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

I pack stuff I buy at Trader Joe's (love this store, don't think I can live without it). They have such great prepared foods. A typical lunch this week has been:

- 1 frozen quesadilla (3 in a pack for $1.99)
    - a small tupperware of greek yogurt ($2.79 for a quart, I pack about 1/4 in the tupperware)
    - half a mango to go with the yogurt
    - couple of asiago cheesesticks ($2.99 for a box, I snack on these all week long)
    - and lots of water!

Grand total for a week of lunches: around $2 a day, give or take. WAY better than the school lunches for $2.50. Yuck!

4. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 7, 2008

M-W-F - I pack big cobb or chicken ceasar salads, and some fruit

T -Th - I pack sandwiches or something similar, like pizza or leftovers.

I always have a fast acting glucose of some kind (diabetic) and I like to pack "munchy things" for after school.

(Side-note: I just bought a great lunchbox, that is insulated with that stuff that keeps cold food cold... I got it at Three Bears Alaska, but they have them at Costco, I believe...they work! Kept my yogurt cold from 8:00 a.m. tile 1:30..which when school starts is way past lunch time! :0)

Brand Name: Pint sized productions: product: InnerCool -zero degrees - integrated cooling system..it is sold as a "12 can cooler, but it works great as a lunchbox :blush:...you can contact them @ 1-800-544-9183...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  5. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

Lean Cuisine frozen meals are the best!! They are so yummy. The chicken primavera is my fav, but I honestly have never had one that I didn't like. Since the meals tend to be small, I usually bring a salad or a fruit cup and a cheese stick.

6. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

Literally EVERY SINGLE day of the school year I eat chicken salad with crackers and either fruit or yogurt. The kids always make fun of me for being so predictable.

7. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Aug 7, 2008

Last year I rarely ate lunch, but when I did it was Campbell's soup or Cup o Noodles. This year I'm going to try to do more sandwiches and salads.

8. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

I usually eat EXACTLY like my students. PB&J or mac and cheese. But that was when I taught elementary and middle school. This year my students are high-schoolers, so they might eat more sophisticated meals than I do! :p

Maybe I should go back to the thread about new school year resolutions and add a resolution about eating like a grown-up ...

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 7, 2008

It's my first year teaching, so here's what I plan to do:

I bought a tiny toaster oven, a hot water pump pot, and a hot pot. I like warm food, and I avoid the microwave. I'll make panini sandwiches and reheat them in the toaster oven. I'll bring leftovers whenever possible (I make double dishes so my whole family can have a leftover lunch). I also love soup so I'll use my hot pot to warm that up. The hot water pump is to keep water hot all day for tea. I love tea, and plan to offer chamomile tea to the class after lunch to help with digestion, to calm them for the afternoon, and because it is a great ritual! This kind of pot is stainless steel inside (no leeching) and plastic on the outside (no burning), plus it keeps water hot all day with little energy.

Yes, I've thought about lunch! Hahaha!

On Thursdays, the teachers bring in "snacks" which can be quite gourmet and filling, so that will be a special treat if I get sick and tired of panini sandwiches! :D

10. hipteachergirl

hipteachergirl Companion

Aug 7, 2008

Well, this is my first year with my own room, but last year I worked at school all year long. We typically brought lean cuisine and a salad and fruit. Other things I like to bring:

-leftovers, of course
    -string cheese
    -crackers & hummus
    -100 calorie bags of popcorn (orville red. are great!)
    -progresso soups (they have 2 servings in a can, are deliciious, and a whole can is only about 250 calories typically)
    -sandwiches

11. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

Ooh, I'm lucky, though. Another special education class in the building practices planning a menu, shopping, and then cooking a weeky meal. Then they sell these on Fridays. They are sooooo good! So I'll eat pretty well on Fridays, if I get the chance to stop and eat at all! Why do aggressive behaviors that need to be dealt with always crop up at lunch time? :(

12. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2008

I'm jealous of thsoe of you who treat yourselves to a lunch out once a week. We get 25 minutes for lunch and are in a congested, urban area...by the time I actually got anywhere, I wouldn't have time to even wait in line and buy my food, much less eat it!
    Kim