What do you bring for lunch??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by preschoolgal, Aug 5, 2008.

1. preschoolgal

preschoolgal Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

I am trying to save money by not going out to eat for lunch as much this school year. What are some things that you bring for lunch?? I get tired of the same old things after awhile and am looking for something new! Thanks!!:thanks:

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 5, 2008

I usually bring leftovers. When I bring things to the table for dinner, I immediately put a serving into a Tupperware container. If it isn't on the table, it doesn't get eaten :D.

Otherwise, I eat sandwiches and wraps- try to alternate by week.

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2008

Just wanted to say that there's a thread on this exact subject in the Teacher Time Out forum. Lots of ideas there!

5. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

I usually bring leftovers from the previous evening's meal. If not I make a salad with tuna. Always a piece of fruit. I refuse to pay $3.50 for a teacher's lunch at school.

6. jardince

jardince Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

I usually bring soup, salad, or leftovers.

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 5, 2008

I also do left overs when I have them. If it's a good tray I might get that, or order a bake potato, from the cafeteria.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 5, 2008

My new school has this cool online ordering for lunches. They use an organic school lunch provider in Berekely, which is very close to us. I'm going to order through them quite a bit, because I HATE packing a lunch, and I don't have enough time to run out somewhere.

9. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2008

Ah, you Californians with your foo-foo organic food! :lol: That's so neat!

10. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

Part of my problem is spending $3.50 or more 5 days a week for lunch when I have things at home that I've already bought or made. That adds up to a hefty $17.00 and more if you stop and get a coffee in the morning. I just fill up my thermos with coffee from home. Call me frugal.

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 5, 2008

My vice is Sonic Dr. Pepper (every morning). Also, if I do make my lunch I'll probably forget it at home. I'm bad about that.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 5, 2008

I'm lucky I guess that my school provides free lunch for teachers. They aren't great however so I usually eat their lunch once or twice a week and bring leftovers, yogurt, lean cusines, or other quick microwavable meals the rest of the week.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2008

I love those bagged salad mixes: mesclun, baby spinach...My latest fave is baby arugula. I always wash the bagged mix and spin in my salad spinnner. Throw the arugula in a tupperware, some shave parmesan, maybe a few pignoli nuts or roasted red peppers. Balsamic dressing in a separate container, maybe a few crackers with hummus.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2008

I usually bring a Smart Ones frozen thing and some fruit. Lean Cuisine on occasion, but I prefer SO. We have lunch duty, so there is no going out to eat. Sometimes I will bring soup or even Spaghettios.

Oh, I LOVE going to Quiznos for a $5 turkey sub and eat half for dinner and half for lunch the next day!!

15. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008

My lunch packing motivation waxes and wanes... When I make lunch I usually do a salad with grilled chicken and veges etc. Always a piece of fruit and a 100 calorie pack of some sort. I also bring a Light and Fit Yogurt to have at snack time with the kids. This way I'm not starving when I get home.
    I gained A LOT of weight when i started buying school lunches so I vowed that I wouldn't eat that**ap anymore. so sad what they feed the kids and the adults alike! Ugh!!!

16. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 5, 2008

I usually bring a smart ones, yogurt or fruit and a 100 calorie pack of cookies along with a Diet Coke!! I did get sick of my SO by the end of the year, so I brought cereal to eat! I love cereal, although I did get some looks from others!!! ;)

17. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008

I brought in cereal for a while this year too! It's so easy to buy a box and leave it in the room and grab a 25 cent milk-- I forgot about that one!!!

p.s. I would NEVER look at your strangely for eating cereal for lunch. :) :lol:

18. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 5, 2008

Salad, Ham & Cheese Sandwiches...& leftovers in between so i don't get tired of the same thing.

19. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 5, 2008

I like Smart Ones, salads, crackers with hummus, turkey and cheese....the usual.

One thing I love to do is to make about 15 PB&J sandwiches at once, then freeze them. I still love PB&J, and I grab one on the way out the door if I forgot to make lunch. They thaw in under an hour, and you cannot tell they were frozen! You just have to put a thin layer of PB on both sides of the bread so it doesn't get soggy :)

20. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

I ate a lot of oatmeal this year bc it was cheap, easy, filling, and healthy. Plus I could just leave the box in my room...great for days when I didn't have time to pack something else.

21. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

I do the same thing with leftovers. It really does make it so much easier when packing lunches quickly in the morning. And using a cute lunch-bag works too :)

How fun! I would love to find a school down here in SoCal that had this yummy and healthy benefit!

22. Grace

Grace Companion

Aug 5, 2008

I love your pb&j tip! I'll have to try that!

As for my normal lunches, I bring a lot of Lean Cuisines, leftovers, salads, or I buy a baked potato from the cafeteria. I gained a lot of weight last year though, so I'm going to have to think about my menu choices more carefully!

23. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 5, 2008

My paras and I bring a stash of stuff and put it in the fridge... usually salad fixings. We take turns buying the lettuce, cheese, toppers, (we bring our own fav dressings). We also do the leftovers thing, too. If I fix a pot of soup in the winter, a big bowl of leftovers comes to school with me the next day for us. :) Every now and then we MIGHT buy the meat part of the lunch, but RARELY the whole lunch from the lunchroom.

24. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Aug 5, 2008

Seriously? This works? The bread doesn't get soggy?
    Pisces, you may well have just saved my lunch!!!!!:D

25. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Aug 5, 2008

Last year I did a lot of salads, cheese and crackers and fruit. For a snack before and after lunch I had granola bars and the 100 calorie packs. I always brought extra just incase I was really hungry or if I was going to stay a little later to do some work. Dont forget the water, I always had a bottle of water on my desk.

26. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 5, 2008

Cooperative eating, what a great idea. We do potlucks once a month on Fridays and it's awesome. Everyone tries to out do everyone else and we have some great gourmet cooks.

Lunch is usually left over from the dinner the night before. I always pack a colorful or pretty paper napkin just to make me smile. The cafeteria's food is generally too starchy for me, but I never miss it when they make chili and cinnamon rolls or turkey and dressing.

27. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 5, 2008

I was getting hot lunch because our lunches are made from scratch everyday, cost only $2.2o, and are delicious. But then I felt I was just eating too much food so last year started doing a Special K cereal bar and some fruit and a milk for lunch. Big lunches make me want to take a nap after lunch and that wouldn't go over well with the Principal!

28. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008

I have a fridge in my room (and cabinet space and a microwave and toaster oven....all provided by the school) so I shop over the weekend and bring my lunch stuff for the week. I leave it at school and use whatever suits me each day. I always have lowfat yogurts, granola, cheese, whole wheat crackers, apples and raisins, and I usually also have those Healthy Choice soup bowls, and a handful of frozen meals on hand. Once in a while, I buy a bit of lunchmeat and cheese and whole wheat rolls, and keep them there to make sandwiches. I keep a case of water and a box of Diet Coke in the fridge, too, so I don't have to spend $1.00 for a water in the machine! If I have good leftovers, I'll bring them in on a daily basis to use instead of the stuff I keep at school.
    Kim

29. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2008

After decades of two hour lunches in the corporate world I find the 30 minutes (or so) given for school lunches waaaayyyyy too short to really enjoy anything..... so it's usually a sandwich and a granola bar......:D:D:D

Major.........:):)

30. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 5, 2008

V8 and a diet soda. It's quick and filling. I discovered Triscuit has new flavors (I bought black pepper and olive oil ... very good) so I may take a box of those.

31. bluebutterfly

bluebutterfly Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

Spaghettios - YUM

32. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2008

I drink lots of V8.......... love it.......

So how will KU do in football this season?????........

33. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 5, 2008

I bring the following and try to treat myself to lunch out once a week (at least I did during student teaching):
    -- Leftovers from dinner
    -- Sandwich I make at home
    -- LoMein meals that come in their own package (very unhealthy but its sooo yummy and fills you up with all those noddles)

Another thing my cooperating teacher did was snack on hot oatmeal during the 1st period (we had planning at that time) which kept her going until lunch. If you can get an oatmeal bar, that'll help you want to eat less during lunch. :)

34. preschoolgal

preschoolgal Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

Thanks for all of the tips guys!! You provided me with lots of ideas!!!:up:

35. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 6, 2008

Unfortunately I am not a huge fan of cold cuts. Therefore typically I will bring leftovers, salads, soup, or the classic peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Last year I think I bought lunch two times.

36. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

I usually take a weight watcher meal or lean cuisine meal :) I buy them when they are on sale for like 1.50 a piece :). Not bad

37. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

I hate bringing my lunch...I like going out just to get away from it all.

*Note: I'm not a teacher yet, talking about my current job. Although I do really like it...but it's still nice to get away! :)

38. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

I cook up a big batch of something at the beginning of the week, like a pasta salad or light casserole or soup, and I bring it to school and leave it in the fridge so I don't have to remember to bring it every day. I also keep cereal in my room and those soup at hands some are really low in calories).

39. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 6, 2008

great one!!! I will do this.

I ate pb and j sandwiches
    yogurt
    salads (dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, sundried tomatoes, soy nuts, feta cheese, chicken...make it interesting)
    leftovers
    apples and cheese
    cheese and crackers
    oatmeal
    cereal
    soup (usually keep a few cans in the room)

I'm working on being a bit healthier this year and trying to avoid the trips to the corner to buy a $1 microwave pizza or a vending machine snickers bar. My goal is no sweets from vending machine or faculty meetings all year long.

40. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Aug 6, 2008

I usually do one of 4 things...

1. Leftovers
    2. burritos (costco)
    3. Lean Cuisine meals... (I know this can be considered the same as going out to eat, but I only buy when they are on same 5 for $10 or something close to that.)
    4. Salad

I always reserve (or atleast I did last year) had one day a week to go out and treat myself.

41. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Aug 6, 2008

I'm so glad that I'm not the only forgetful one here!