What do you back your bulletin boards with?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by woobie5, Jun 1, 2009.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jun 1, 2009

Fabric or paper? I'm a new teacher and the teacher before me has fabric on her bulletin boards ... does that last longer and not fade as bad? What do you do? THANKS.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2009

I use fabric. It doesn't show staple/tack holes and it doesn't fade like paper.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2009

I use wallpaper remants. Wallpaper is indestructible!

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 2, 2009

I use plastic tablecloths that I get from the dollar store. They do have to be replaced every time you change the board, but I think they look quite nice.

6. PinkFish

PinkFish Rookie

Jun 2, 2009

I use fabric. I am a first year teacher and did not want to spend the money on fabric, so I started the year using paper. It was a PAIN! The paper doesn't fit the boards so you have to spend an hour hanging up the paper and then you have to change it everytime you change your board. I spent the money and got bright colored fabric after the paper made me mad LOL. It was easy to hang, looks great, and has lasted all year :-D

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2009

I use these as well, but I've usually been able to leave them up all year.

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 2, 2009

Fadeless paper. It's bright and it works. It's worth the money in my opinion and I shared rolls with my coworkers.

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 2, 2009

Also, if I have a board where I change the background a lot, then I use the school supplied butcher paper that fades:(

10. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jun 2, 2009

Fabric, from Wal Mart's discounted bolts, usually only $1-$2 per yard. It is colorful and bright, never fades, is easily stored, and once you have it measured to fit your b-bds, you never have to do it again. :) Too, you can get it in such a variety of patterns to fit any theme or season. I love using fabric! :)

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 2, 2009

Fabric.

12. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2009

Fadeless Paper--but I do not change my boards during the year. Once something goes up, it stays up until I re-do boards over the summer.

13. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2009

14. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jun 2, 2009

I always use paper, but I think the fabric looks really great!

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jun 2, 2009

I use both. Not at the same time! ;) If I can't find cheap fabric ($1/yard) in the color I want, I will use paper. It takes about 3 minutes to get the paper up on the board for me. Fabric is actually harder to get up the first time. Someone said once you measure it, it's easier. That's true. When I'm putting up paper, I will leave it up if it isn't faded and I think I can use it again. So I end up layering paper on top of each other.

16. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jun 2, 2009

That is a great idea...thanks for sharing your photos!! :)

17. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jun 2, 2009

I just painted my boards in my new room today! (They still need the extra coat though.) My walls are a light blue, so I painted the 2 bulletin boards a darker blue. They were painted in my old room and loved it!

18. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 2, 2009

I think I'm going to use fabric. I like that it's smooth, can be used over and over, etc. It's just picking the color that I'm at a loss for!

19. maroki

maroki Comrade

Jun 2, 2009

I use the butcher paper supplied by the school because I don't change my boards throughout the year. However, I love the idea of using fabric; I'll have to look into that this summer!

If I had a hallway bulletin board I'd change it during the year, with themes and seasons. However, I don't have that much wall space in my classroom and my bulletin boards are all the space I have for word wall and calendar, so I don't change them throughout the year!

20. animalclass

animalclass Companion

Jun 2, 2009

maroki, thats better to use the fabric cause you can leave it for years and it doesnt wear like butcher paper

21. Bridget

Bridget Rookie

Jun 2, 2009

I like lots of colors....I buy packs of that square scrapbooking paper. Then I use a variety of colors and designs to cover my boards.

22. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 2, 2009

I love fabric!! I have also seen people laminate gift wrap and it looks great!!!

23. Jen in NCal

Jen in NCal Rookie

Jun 2, 2009

I use fabric. The same fabric has been on my boards for four years now and looks just like it did when I put it up.

24. mrs a

mrs a Companion

Jun 2, 2009

Cheap, solid, brightly colored fabric.

25. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2009

I usually use the school butcher block paper. I don't have actual bulletin boards in the hallway...I have the cork strip going across that I made into a bboard. I like the fabric idea...I may have to keep this in mind and use some JoAnn Fabric coupons on this during the summer. Of course, that is, once I find out which room I'm moving to and where I can hang things! haha

26. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 3, 2009

I got solid green flat sheets on sale at Walmart for like $4 each. Three of them covered all my boards - our walls are made of that board material so I made the boards to my choice of sizes/shapes with borders and the sheets.

27. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jun 3, 2009

If you have a border you want to use, cut off a 2 inch section and take it with you when you're looking for fabric.

28. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jun 3, 2009

I use both, and even at the same time! I put up my job board for next year today using red bb paper provided by the school, and then I put navy bandana cloth up at an angle - just for an accent. Usually I use one or the other - and I do love fabric...but I also leave up what goes up at the beginning of the year on everything except one rolling chalkboard/bb that gets changed w/ the curriculum as it is an interactive board. (One caveat - for students w/ allergies it is important to take the fabric down and wash it at the end of the year. My room seems to get very dusty!)

Here is a hoot for you: I used to (B.C. - before children) put my calendars up in reverse order and layer them so all I had to do was pull it down at the end of the month and there was the new calendar all ready to go! Wow - did I have too much time on my hands, or what? :woot:

29. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Jun 3, 2009

I painted mine with leftover house paint. :)

30. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Jun 3, 2009

I have used the awful fading school-supplied butcher paper in the past, but we're doing a safari theme next year so I'm going to use fadeless animal printed paper and fabric this time. I also like using gift wrap (you can buy this cheaply at the dollar store)!

31. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 3, 2009

I paint mine a dark blue. My room is in primary colors.

32. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jun 4, 2009

I use both, too. It just depends if I have the right color in fabric, I prefer to use fabric.

33. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jun 4, 2009

I love the

painted boards, Mrs.R.

I use fabric.

And when I can't find the border I want I use the tearing method with scrapbooking paper that I love, laminate it and viola!! It goes a long way.

Like one time I just wanted a leopard style border and couldn't find the design in the teacher store so I went to the scrapbooking store, bought 4 pages tore the paper (or you can use the squiggly scissors) and then laminated it for durability. Looked awesome!!

34. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2009

Ours are all backed with a lovely blue textured wallpaper-like covering so we don't need to cover the BBs with anything...Nice!:)

35. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 5, 2009

Nothing. It's not worth it!! Our are a beige color so I just put up a border, that I don't change either!! Not so important anymore!!

36. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2009

I use fabric... I took down my boards this year for the first time in three years (the backgrounds- not what was actually on the board). The fabric still looked brand new.

37. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2009

I use both, but when I use paper, it is fadeless. It lasts for a long time. I love fabric on my door and felt also works very well.

38. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Jun 5, 2009

For those of you who used paint, what kind of paint did you use? Do staples leave marks/chip the paint when removed?

39. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Jun 6, 2009

Your room is beautiful! Thanks.

40. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2009

I don't know EXACTLY the kind of paint, as our custodians do the actual painting. I believe it is regular latex wall paint. I do know the dark navy that is on my boards was leftover paint from the elementary school auditorium.

A paint job usually lasts about three to five years before I ask to have them repainted. I tend not to use too many staples, simply because my boards are high and often have furniture in front of them. Push pins are easier for me to use since I like to rotate my student work displays often.

41. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2009

Thanks! If I took a pic of it now, you would wonder if it is the same room. I'm in the middle of packing up for the summer, trying to get it all done by Wednesday afternoon. I'm always amazed by how fast I can tear it down compared to how LONG it takes to set it up in the fall!