What do you all think of Olivia Gude's approach?

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by a teacher, Nov 7, 2014.

1. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Nov 7, 2014

I'm curious to get some feedback.

3. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Nov 7, 2014

Olivia Gude

Has anyone looked at her lessons?

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 7, 2014

That's a pretty broad question, a teacher. Is there something specific that you like, or don't?

(Forum user note: Multiple threads in multiple forums at the same time by the same user on the same topic are discouraged on A to Z Forums; the site owner's rationale is that discussion is better when it's in one place rather than scattered around. Many forum veterans don't search for new posts forum by forum: instead, they use one of the two "NEW:" links at the top right of the page, just under where it says, "Welcome, a teacher", to bring up a list of threads with new posts since the last time they signed in.)

5. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Nov 7, 2014

I'd like to know what others think of her approach.

6. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Nov 8, 2014

Or the social justice approach in general.

7. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Dec 3, 2014

Anyone know of her?

8. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Dec 26, 2014

Apparently not

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 26, 2014

I have no idea who that is.

10. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Dec 26, 2014

Me either.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 26, 2014

A teacher, how about you provide some information on her (a summary and a link), and your own opinion first?
    Sorry, I'm not going to Google someone just because a poster wants our opinion in general without providing anything to begin with.

12. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

13. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Dec 29, 2014

14. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Dec 30, 2014

How come non-art teachers are on this thread?

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 30, 2014

As has been noted before, people respond for the following reasons:
    1. They feel bad that your thread hasn't gotten any responses and they are trying to help. If that's the case, I personally would be grateful for any help I could get.
    2. People can post wherever they want on these forums. I teach high school but I chime in on elementary threads when I feel I have something of interest to add.
    3. I always just hit new posts and don't always look at the thread's location. Many do the same.

Ultimately, people are just trying to help. If you're not findng the answers you want here, maybe it's time to look elsewhere. I, however, have gotten great advice here from all different kinds of teachers, not just high school English teachers.

It's your right to ignore those you want to, but it won't stop people from replying to your threads if they want.

16. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 30, 2014

No offense, but your attitude on these forums are really off-putting to me. You complain that no one responds to your posts, you also complain that non-art teachers respond, and you even complain that what is said is not helpful.

As noted above, you should be grateful for any response you see.
    I teach high school English, but that doesn't mean that an elementary teacher or middle school teacher, or a high school music teacher wouldn't be of help to me. What's great about these forums is that you have hundreds (if not thousands?) of professionals with many many years of experience, and they're here to help.

I have gotten help with interviewing, my resume, my cover letter, my follow up after the interviews, encouragement and people being happy for me to get my first teaching job, lots of advice with curriculum, strategies, classroom management, dealing with specific issues, etc, and most of these probably didn't come from English teachers.
    You teach art, but teachers in different grade levels / subjects can help you with making sure your classes are engaging, students do your work, and you succeed, but you're unwelcoming to that help.

You can't dictate who responds to your posts, and if you try, you will just alienate people.

And by the way, there are very few art teachers here, and they might not be interested in your topic, or are busy to respond.

17. englishlit

englishlit New Member

Jan 2, 2015

In addition, we are in the 21st century where it's absolutely essential to collaborate across disciplines. This is my first year as a high school English teacher and people on A to Z (from all disciplines) have been tremendously helpful.

In the high school that I teach in, I work closely with the art teacher. At the beginning of the year, after reading Beowulf, my students wrote their own epics. We brought the epics to the art classes and they created a piece of art to accompany the epics. They were absolutely beautiful!

We're all in it together!

18. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Jan 3, 2015

Thanks.

19. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Jan 3, 2015

20. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 3, 2015

[Fact is, I've never complained about any responses! ]

Are you quite sure about that??

21. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 4, 2015

And your often make personal attacks on people. What does me bring an English teacher have to do with reading? Are you saying a math teacher is ok to make mistakes because they probably can't read??

I'm not going back to reread all your posts, all I'm saying that there is a lot of help available to you, but you often complain about various things, instead of being grateful.

22. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Jan 4, 2015

Quote ONE complaint.

23. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jan 6, 2015

I read all her research and I love it but haven't implemented it. It does seem to work well with the new national art standard which are based on Understanding By Design

24. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Jan 7, 2015

But what I wonder is whether the students will really get it. It seems pretty ambitious using all the cultural theory. The key is how it's implemented.

25. Ms.French

Ms.French New Member

Jul 1, 2015

I love her work. I use several spiral art lessons for my graphic design classes. They make students take a different approach to art and it makes them think critically. brilliant woman