What do you all do over the summer?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by annalena, Jun 24, 2010.

1. annalena

annalena Rookie

Jun 24, 2010

Hey!

One of the reasons I'd like to be a teacher is that I'd have the opportunity to also do other things.
    What is it that you do over the summer? Teach summer school? Travel? Do something entirely different?

Let me know :)

3. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jun 24, 2010

I teach several weeks of summer school, but it is only mornings. I also tutor a few hours each week. Besides that I clean and organize my house, cook amazing dinners and desserts, go the library, pool and ride my bike. I also spend a lot of time reading and messing around on the computer. When I was single, I spent two and a half weeks each summer traveling and studying Spanish. I was going to do that again this summer (with my hubby's blessing!!), but some things came up.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 24, 2010

This summer I am teaching for a community college.
    I also spend my summer preparing for the upcoming school year.
    I attend trainings.
    I don't set my alarm most days (my summer reward).

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 24, 2010

I always do several school things. I rework my units, curriculum map, and files from the previous year. I also have several workshops each summer. I did summer school at college a few years. I did two summers working on my masters and one summer working on a second masters.

As far as things I do for fun, I enjoy reading, cross-stitch, sewing, and basically doing whatever I want. I usually do some kind of home-improvement project. I also garden. This summer I'm making some extra money taking part in a medical research study. I find that kind of thing interesting, but it's hard to do it during the school year. Sometimes I take a vacation. Sometimes not. I also try to hang out with friends some, too.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2010

Anna, be VERY careful about entering the profession if one of the main draws is the vacation time.

To be blunt: that's not enough compensation if teaching isn't the thing you REALLY want to be doing.

I love teaching, and there's nothing else I can imagine as a profession. And I admit that there's nothing like that first week off, knowing that 2 long wonderful months stretch out before you.

But too many teachers enter the profession with their eye on those summers, and end up hating each and every day from September until June.

In between those summers, I have the responsibility of teaching upwards of 200 kids a day. It's not only about math, it's about a billion other things I have to watch and moniter and juggle every day.

I'll cut off most of the lecture. Again, summes ARE a wonderful perk, and I'm anxiously awaiting Wednesday or Thursday of next week when things will settle down and I'll feel as though my vacation has started.

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 24, 2010

Dh is a teacher and he always teaches summer school.

I spend my days doing a combination of keeping my children entertained, relaxing, and doing chores. We usually do a simple family vacation for a week, sometimes with a second one that dh misses due to teaching. I'm rewriting the curriculum for one of the courses in my department, and did this last summer as well for a different course. I usually do 2 or 3 days of subject specific professional development. The bulk of my break is definitely spent at home with my family.

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 24, 2010

Oh yeah, this is so true! I have my challenging classes once in a while but overall I love teaching and there is no way I'd be doing this job if I didn't.

9. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2010

My DH used to work in radio news so he understands and agrees with this analogy. Teaching is like being on the air - except you don't get to turn off the mic to play a song. You are always "on" for 8 hours a day (with 1/2 hour for lunch) and 180 days per year. It is a situation that can cause a lot of stress. There are perks to teaching and the best one is having an extended vacation to re-energize so that you are prepared to go on the air again for the next 180 days. I wouldn't do anything else.
    To answer the question, I usually don't "work" in the summer except to do a rec program occasionally. I relax, do some workshops or classes, and prepare for the coming year.

10. annalena

annalena Rookie

Jun 25, 2010

To get that straight- that didnt come across right I think. (I kinda should have known it would be interpreted that way).
    It's not one of the main reasons- it's a plus? Maybe that's a better way to put it. To me, it's less about the free time than to have the opportunity to also do other things (for example, teaching abroad, as someone said before).
    Oh yeah, and the compensation-I know it's not great and I could probably make more w/ a business degree.

But what does that help if I'm not happy?

There are a LOT of other things I love about teaching (maybe that convinces you guys ;) ):
    -Actual interactions with humans (as opposed to staring at a computer screen)
    - Doing somethng with a purpose
    - Being able to make a difference (hopefully!)

I've been teaching for a while..so I know what I'm getting myself into. :)

(Btw: Our teachers here do have 12 weeks or so of vacation, as well, but split. 1 week fall break, 2 weeks christmas, 1 week Fasching (February), 2 weeks easter, 2 weeks whitsun, 6 weeks summer.

Would you prefer that or the all time out in the summer version)?

11. annalena

annalena Rookie

Jun 25, 2010

That indeed is a good comparison- in a 'normal' office jobs, you can take your little breaks without even anyone noticing. While standing in front of a class you really can't. Or they'll realize it right away :D
    I'm generally more tired in the evenings than mornings, and when I used to teach English from 6pm-830pm, I would get back and so not talk anymore at all (because I was so exhausted).

That does not normally happen to me. :D

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2010

OK-- I kind of sensed I was wrong, but did want to caution you.

As to what I do: with 3 kids, I do a lot of watching (or joining in) as they play in our pool.

I get the house into (relative) order.

We all do lots of reading. (the kids do it becausw we make them!)

We have lots of lazy days and nights. We go down to the beach and walk the boardwalk in the evenings sometimes. We go out for ice cream.

We visit the grandmas.

We go away for a week. The last 2 years it was Disney World-- I LOVE it there!!!! This year it will be upstate NY at Lake George-- we haven't been there since 2007 and miss it!

I teach an SAT prep course, as does my husband, one morning a week.

I also do some freelance writing for extra cash.

This year will begin with surgery, as have the past 2.:rolleyes:

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 25, 2010

My schedule
    Start August 30th
    Long Weekend September (3rd to 6th)
    Long Weekend second weekend in Oct.
    short break for Thanksgiving (Wed. Thurs. Fri. off)
    Little over a week at Christmas
    Long Weekend in January for Martin Luther King
    A week in Feb. (week of President Day)
    A week in April (Week of Patriots Day)
    Out June 16th (which gives us about 9 weeks off)

During the school year I sometimes wish that I had little longer breaks (depending on my class), but I really enjoy the longer summer break. I usually am back in my classroom August 1st getting ready for the upcoming school year. Our building is locked during the month of July and teachers are not allowed in.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 25, 2010

- Stay up even later than I usually do (3am - 4am sometimes)

- Wake up btwn 7am & 8:30am

- Tkg 2 online courses towards my next degree

- Work out at the gym 4-5 days/wk

- Watch lots of TV

- Go to an amusement park

- Take a few fun day trips

- Browse Target, my local malls & a couple faraway ones

- Go to the movies

- Dine out

- Walk my dog

- Spend time w/ BF

- Meet up w/ a friend or two

15. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jun 25, 2010

So far I have engaged myself in two sculptures. Both are progressing nicely.

A trip to Florida just ended and was a nice retreat if not overly adventurous or glamorous. I enjoyed it.

A summer program is starting today which means work. I think I am going to enjoy it.

A workshop coming later this month that I know I am going to enjoy. I get to be around other artsy art people and make stuff for an entire week. Hopefully, I'll make some friends.

Then an installation of a sculpture for a dear friend's memorial at her grave site. I'm very sad but the work has made things very easy to deal with.

Then maybe a quick visit to a friends place nearby where the sculpture goes in for a fishing trip and maybe a consult on a mural.

I don't know, I think I could have pack more in there but maybe not.

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2010

I teach summer school (3 weeks). I attend some professional developments as well. I spend alot of time playing with my daughter, reading, and getting the house in order.

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2010

I teach summer school (5 weeks) and make lunch dates with my friends :)

I also am spending the summer preparing the condo for our little man, who will be arriving in November. And doing some district trainings. And hopefully lots of pool time!

18. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jun 25, 2010

I like to travel, work on home projects, read for pleasure, stay up past 10:00 PM. :) Our schedule sounds much like yours except for we get 2 months off in the summer.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2010

Tutor
    Work out
    Organize, house 'things' (I want to paint the foyer and stairwell)
    Read, read, read
    Pool days at my sister's house
    Beach days
    Grilling and chilling
    Looking at curriculum and planning for new grade level
    Visiting and vacationing

20. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jun 25, 2010

This summer I will:

Be a nanny for my 2 nieces and nephew (2-3 days a week)
    Cook and bake
    Going to SMART Board workshops
    Going down to Wildwood next week
    Going to Naragansett, RI in August
    Read, read, read
    Visit and catch-up with my friends
    Organize and clean out rooms in the house
    Clean out the basement
    Beach days
    Pool days in my backyard
    Set-up my new classroom - since I moved to a bigger classroom for next year

Just a few things... Many more to come

21. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 25, 2010

-Finish taxes! bleh
    -deep cleaning the house - I've got the windows done!
    -take an extra week after school is out sorting, organizing, throwing things away
    -gorge on reading
    -take many trips to the lake, hike and cook out
    -hopefully take a trip "south" to visit family or have a fun adventure
    -spend as much time as possible with kiddos who will be going away to college again
    -do more teaching at church
    -go berry picking and make pie and jam!
    -watch entire seasons of America's Top Model at one long sitting :eek:

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2010

Are you a Jersey girl? So many fun Wildwood memories from my childhood!!

In Naragansett, check out: http://www.thecoastguardhouse.com/

23. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jun 25, 2010

You got that right about being a Jersey Girl, czacza. I live in Northern NJ.

I have extended family that live in RI. My parents were born in RI. We rent a house across the street from the Coast Guard House. We see a lot of weddings and parties hosted there. It is beautiful there. I love going to RI every summer.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2010

Small world...I'm in NE NJ, Bergen county. My son went to URI and lived in Naragansett...we are hoping to get up there in August as well.

25. Kase

Kase Companion

Jun 26, 2010

I get to work all summer but on the weekends I just do a lot of walking and going to the bay or beach to just read or relax.

26. annalena

annalena Rookie

Jun 26, 2010

Oh, you live in San Diego. Lovely! I'm considering California as a state of my choice.:) Not sure yet though. (The beach WOULD be a big plus though).

27. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2010

I love my summer vacations!

- This year I had an awesome opportunity to go to a training out west (just got back). It was amazing.
    - I'm going up to Boston to visit my brother in a few weeks.
    - *Actually* exercise - Pilates, running, yoga
    - *Actually* cook. Complicated recipes! Multiple ingredients! Grill everything I can get my hands on!
    - Read books with Lexiles higher than 800
    - Beach. It's really too hot for it, but there's no snowbirds crowding them up this time of year
    - Organize all of my school stuff, including revamping units and creating a new curriculum map
    - Clean out all of the crap that has accumulated in my house over the last 10 months. I love starting the new school year with a clean house and a plan for the next school year.

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2010

Not much. Reading, artsy stuff, relaxing, and preparing for the new school year. :)

29. annalena

annalena Rookie

Jun 28, 2010

Sounds like a really helpful routine. Wish I could bring myself to do something like that at some point in the year ;)

30. LMT

LMT Rookie

Jun 28, 2010

I try to get "caught up" on everything! (housework, sleep, working out, planning for next school year).

READ!

Stay up late and watch TV...I rarely do this during the school year. (No time!)

Sleep in

POOL DAYS with my kids!

Summer around our house is pretty low key. We spend a lot more family time together...even if it is just sitting out on the porch in the evenings. With four kids, things are pretty hectic during the school year.

And this summer we received orders and so we are preparing to move...again. :rolleyes:

31. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2010

-girls' trips with my two best friends
    -teacher workshops
    -go to the boardwalk
    -pool days
    -revamp my teaching
    -family vacation(s)
    -work out
    -grill
    -catch up on Dexter

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 28, 2010

Kase & annalena, I love San Diego too. I live 2 hrs one-way from there, but I try to spend the day or a wknd there once a yr.

33. Kase

Kase Companion

Jun 29, 2010

Annalena, I didn't even consider California as a choice until my boyfriend mentioned it and brought me here for a visit! It's so awesome. I love the fact that I'm walking distance from the beach/bay and I'm about a 2 hour drive away from the mountains with snow during winter. I don't even have to leave the state. Plus in my experience, everyone is so friendly. I'm always out running or riding my bike and everyone I pass either smiles or they say hello. I also enjoy that there's so much to do either for free or very cheap since I'm on a budget but I don't get to miss out on anything. Definitely check it out! :D

34. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 29, 2010

Tutor two of my former students. I love seeing them grow up!
    Continue planning my wedding
    GET MARRIED
    Go on top secret honeymoon.

35. annalena

annalena Rookie

Jul 2, 2010

Wow, that makes it sound even better!! :) All the points you mentioned sound amazing :)