What do they need to know?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Kat03785, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Kat03785

Kat03785 Rookie

Apr 14, 2009

What are things that I can be doing to prepare my kindergarten kiddos for 1st grade? What are some general things that they should be able to do to be successful? I have some idea but I'd love to hear some suggestions. Thanks!

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Apr 14, 2009

* Know all letters and sounds
    * Know a few basic sight words
    * Know numbers up to 30 or so
    * Know how to walk in a line
    * KNOW HOW TO TIE THEIR SHOES!!! :D

4. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2009

Be able to follow basic classroom expectations (no climbing under tables, running in the room et...).

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2009

don't try to climb through the monkey bars

sorry - just dealt with this. I didn't think I need to specify NOT to do this.

6. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Apr 16, 2009

I second the tying the shoes!!! Half of my class doesn't know how to tie their shoes!! They didn't teach them how in kindergarten and apparently, no one at home showed them how either. It drives me nuts. Also, the basic sight words. I have spent all year trying to get them to learn just the basic ones.. the ones they should have learned already. I would love if they learned how not to TATTLE but that WILL NEVER HAPPEN! lol

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 17, 2009

I hope no one gets mad when I say this, but I get really annoyed when people give me the shoe tying request. I'm expected to get students from not even being able to write their name alllllllllllllllll the way to a reading level C by the end of the year. I am not going to spend a lot time teaching shoe tying. In fact, I haven't taught shoe tying at all.

8. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Apr 17, 2009

I was joking when I typed that. I really agree with you that it's not the K teacher's job to teach children how to tie their shoes. I mean, it's not my job either! :p But, maybe the K teacher could start planting the idea into the parents' heads that they need to be teaching it at home. How do you address this with your parents? :hijack:

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 17, 2009

Shoe tying suggestion - we sent a note home that gave the kids 3 weeks to learn to tie their shoes. When they could tie their shoes they got to sign a shoe poster and at the end of 3 weeks we had a shoe tying party. The kids that could tie went to one room to watch a video and eat SHOEstring potatoes and have juice. The other kids went to another room and watched the same video. 3/4 of the kindergarten class was able to tie their shoes by today :2up:-tying, putting on and zipping/buttoning jackets, etc...)

I also have it on the progress report for the 3rd and 4th 9 weeks as a self-help skill (shoe

My class is good on the other stuff too! I am excited to send these kids to first, I know they are ready for it :D

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 17, 2009

Yeah, I figured you were kidding, but people have actually expressed this in a serious tone. :unsure:

I remind parents to practice self-help skills throughout the year, but more in the beginning. I have 3 posters on my wall:

"I know my phone number and address!"
    "I can tie my shoes!"
    "I know my birthday!"

I test them on these skills frequently, and their picture goes up on the poster once they have mastered it. They aren't on our report cards (I know some districts do have this stuff on report cards), but I feel they are important things to know!

11. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Apr 19, 2009

That's a good idea to motivate the kids to learn on their own. I might borrow these for next year. I agree, those life skills are important. My mom has told me that when I was little, they did a Kindergarten readiness test where I had to write my name, say my address and phone number, and my birthday. I don't remember any of it, of course.

12. Kat03785

Kat03785 Rookie

Apr 20, 2009

Thanks for all the replies! As for the shoe tying we told the kids before Christmas this year that teachers would not tie their shoes in 2009 and that is was their homework over Christmas break. We told this to all the parents as well and asked them to help. Most of the kids learned out of neccesity. We also had some parents just buy velcro shoes for their kids which didn't help the kid but it helped us. It definitely worked. I haven't tied a shoe since December!

13. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Apr 20, 2009

When my daughter started Kinder. the teacher told us (as parents) you need to teacher your child this! As a parent, I don't hold the teacher responsible for teaching this skill--isn't this something that should be taught with the "getting dressed" routine? As a teacher, I would hate to waste time on tying shoes all day--I don't think it's fair to the students.