What do they know?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by flyingteacher, Sep 22, 2007.

1. flyingteacher

flyingteacher Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

Hi, I am going to teach a unit on magnetism and gravity for kids in grade 3. Before we do the unit, I would like to find out what concepts and ideas each student has about magnetism and gravity.

Other than asking them to just write down what they think gravity is and what is a magnet and how does it work... do you have any questions or activities that you have used to illicit their thinking on these subjects?

Thanks
    Dave

3. ladybuglady

ladybuglady Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

What about a KWL chart? You could hang white butcher paper on the board/wall and complete it as a group. We did this last year with my students and they really enjoyed it.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2007

Write a variety of statements written on cards. Have students sort them into "true", "false" and "not sure" piles.

5. flyingteacher

flyingteacher Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

I thought of that but the only trouble is that I would like to know what each and every student thinks (ie misconceptions they have) and with the KWL you can't really get a feel for the individuals but more like what the class as a whole knows.

Dave

6. sciencegirl

sciencegirl Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

One way to use the KWL so that you get to see all the students' input is to give them post-its (they don't have to write their names on them.) Use one color postit for the K column, and one for the W column. So basically give each kid 2 postits. Then you can have them put them up on the chart, asking for some to share aloud if they want, which will generate discussion. Others can put them up anonymously, and you can select some for sharing/talking about as a class.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2007

I was going to suggest the KWL as well, then after reading your other post I was going to suggest having each child fill out their own KWL chart, but sciencegirl's idea is A LOT better/enjoyable than mine!! Great idea, sciencegirl.