What do they expect

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by born2teach84, Jul 17, 2007.

1. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

I am listening to the news and they just stated that more elementary schools this year failed to meet NCLB for the second year in a row!!! We went from 2 elementary schools to 10.

WHAT DO THEY EXPECT

I just logically don't understand how they are suprised by this. We don't have enough resources and if a school does have resources the parents aren't there!!! I am not a magician!! I do the best I can and my school is amazing but we didn't meet it last year!! We can't do everything!! It just makes me so upset because parents look only at the statistics and you have to explain why and if they know nothing about education it is like talking to bring wall. We have 14 different testing mods our school has to meet to get NCLB!! Other schools have 2. That isn't fair!!

Ok off my soap box....:(

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 17, 2007

I feel ya! My school will be entering year 6 of school improvement next year--we've never made AYP!!! But, there is NO parental involvement, the kids are unmotivated, there aren't nearly enough resources, and there is constant turnover on the staff because everyone gets burned out and leaves. This isn't to say that there aren't WONDERFUL teachers at my school, but when I get kids who are 2-3 years behind grade level in the 4th grade, there's no way I'm going to bring them up enough to meet AYP!

4. Alegre

Alegre Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

Same here...

My biggest gripe with this whole thing is that it's important to the school and to the teachers, so we work really hard to help our students 'raise their achievement'. However, it doesn't seem to be important to the parents and to the students.

Now, parents give lip service to wanting their children to be 'smart', but many of them (not all, of course) just expect schools to do it. If not by their words, then by their actions. Last year I had three students whose parents I NEVER saw all year! During parent conferences I wrote many several notes, rescheduled appointments, called 'disconnected numbers', or even waited for them when they dropped off their children. No luck! Other parents made constant excuses for why they could ONLY come on FRIDAY after 5! Silly me! I waited for them... and they didn't show! I had to catch them in the mornings and 'coax them' into giving me just 15 minutes of their time!

Uh oh! Looks like you got me all wound up... I think I'd better just stop here or I'll write a whole book of complaints with NCLB! :eek:

I'll end just by letting you know that you are not alone in your frustration!

5. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 17, 2007

I know exactly what you mean. We don't have much parental involvement either. I met a parent for the first time last year during fifth grade honors day(one day before the LAST day of school:eek: ).

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 18, 2007

They expect all children to learn the same thing at the same time! They don't want to take into account that children are individuals & will learn when they are ready.

They expect teachers to be magicians. We have to motivate the unmotivated student, we have to be parents to the parents, we have to parent the child.

Ok, getting off my soap box.

7. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

I just wish the outside world would see the amount of time and work we put into teaching these children. We went up with our scores we just didn't go up enough. It just makes me sad because I wish we could video tape the day and show parents how much work and time it takes to get these children to a higher level. Having no support at home is very hard. On top of that you have an esl school like ours with only one esl teacher and those children still have to take the test if they have been here two years...THAT IS CRAZY!!!

8. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 19, 2007

born2teach,
    I wish we could videotape our day too! Then everyone would see how much heart and effort we (most of us) put into our jobs. Speaking of...I thought someone posted here once that CBS was making a reality tv show about the day in the life of a teacher.
    Maybe it was just a joke and I didn't get it.:eek:
    There should be a reality show though!

9. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

There should be!! I really wish some parents would just stop for a moment and think about our job. I had so many parents this year go on a field trip with me and say " I don't know how you do your job!" Now I wish the other people who are making the decisions for us would see that. Think about it, does a doctor have to pay for every scalple he uses or every peice of guaze he needs? NO so then why are we paying for the things we use and need each and every day? I just wish the American people would see how they DUMP money into entertainment but not education!! Stepping down of my soap box!!!

10. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 19, 2007

parents need to be accountable in NCLB

NCLB is one more step for letting parents off the hook in raising their children. Nowhere in the program does it state that parents are also responsible for their childrens' educations. Kids whose parents do not support school and promote pride in education are a BIG stumbling block for teachers. Children will almost ALWAYS look up to their parents before they will their teachers. Until the govt requires PARENTS to educate themselves, buy books, read to their kids, make sure homework is done, attend school meetings, etc....there will be no major change. If some of these things were required before people received welfare, the country would begin to see changes. Most of the kids in jeopardy in our district are poor and transient and have uneducated parents. How about the rest of you?

11. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

This is one of my favorite soapbox topics!!

Our school is the only school in the district to make AYP three years in a row. I don't think we'll make it this year though because of *attendance* and that bothers me. We've got great scores but last year parents just wouldn't send their kids to school. I mean, I know we can encourage them to send their kids everyday and request that they not schedule doctor's appointments during school hours but we can't control what they do in the end!! Then all the parents will get those school report cards saying we didn't make AYP. Would it be wrong of me to circle the section on attendance on those? lol

12. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

Hehe I would!! I asked my VP if we could hold a parent meeting and basically say all this....I think it would make many parents mad...BUT we can't do it all!!! It just amazes me!!!