What do they do when they're done???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by hfinley, Aug 22, 2006.

1. hfinley

hfinley Rookie

Aug 22, 2006

1st grade. I have an assignment for the students to complete at each center. Only a couple of the centers have a worksheet. My quicker students get done so quickly and then they are bored and get into to trouble. I suggested reading/looking at a book quietly, or drawing a picture. Now my problem is that I'm running out of paper!!!! ANyone have any better ideas??? This is driving me CRAZY!!!!

3. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Aug 22, 2006

Drawing is the choice activity in my room. If they could draw all day.. they would. I try to discourage drawing because of this. I assume that your first graders, like mine, can't read much so they don't really read their books, they just flip through the pages? My kids love to put together puzzles when they are done. Especially puzzles that can be set up multiple ways. Perhaps have some puzzles for them to use?

4. heart4kids

heart4kids Rookie

Aug 22, 2006

Maybe they could write sight words, spelling words or addition facts on an individual white board. Kids always love markers!

5. momandta

momandta Rookie

Aug 23, 2006

To save paper, we have given each child a lab notebook with blank pages. That way there's no more stray papers, and they can take all their drawn pieces home when done.

We also have them do journal writing, which also includes drawing, so they enjoy it. Also, we have a filing crate of "Extra Fun Activities" for them to work on once they are finished with their assigned work. It's categorized by activity such as: Word Searches, Crossword Puzzles, Sudoku, Number Games, etc..

Whenever I find a fun acivity that I like for them, I just make copies and keep adding to the file. They love having the choice of activity.

6. sm76

sm76 Rookie

Aug 24, 2006

In my Grade One classroom, I have hanging file folders for each child. I make up "drill" booklets for Math concepts, Phonics practice and reading ctivities. They're usually about 5 or 6 pages long, and (hopefully!) tailored to each child's particular level.

If a child finishes his/her work I'll ask them to go to their drill folder and pick out one of their booklets to work in. Sometimes I let them choose which one, and sometimes I specify which one to get.

I don't always assign drill books, however. Depending on what time it is, how much free time there is or how much time they've already been sitting and working, I might allow them to choose a quiet activity to do (drawing, puzzles, computer, story book etc) instead. I only allow them to choose building toys such as Lego or blocks for their free time in the afternoon.

7. jef

jef New Member

Aug 24, 2006

I use plastic tubs from baby wipes (they look like large legos) and label each one "What to do when I'm done". There are 4 boxes so they know which one they are using and to return to. I have maybe 5 cards in each. A card could read put all the letters in ABC order (I would have the alphabet cut up and placed with this card) and then write them. Or what numbers am I missing, fill in the missing blanks 1,2,_,4. Draw a picture of your favorite pet. As the year progresses and the children are reading, I add others like putting the words in correct order to make a sentence and write it, or fix the sentence-caps and punctuations. Hope this helps.