What do the students call you?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Miyata210, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Miyata210

Miyata210 Rookie

Jan 18, 2010

Hi everyone,

I was curious about what you have students call you. Do you ask them to call you by your last name, Ms., Mrs., Mr. So-and-so, or do you go by your first name?

My personal take on it is that I like them to call me Mrs. (Last name), as that will be what I will be called as a teacher, and I want to be seen as being professional. (The same goes with my appearance). Also, although this is my "second career" I still look really young for my age. So I feel the formal name helps the students in viewing my as an older, respectable adult.

However, I know at least one of my classmates at my university prefers to go by their first name. I've also gone by Ms. (first name) at a first grade that I volunteered at.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2010

I think your instincts are spot on.

Mrs. Lastname is the way to go. The kids, as well as the teachers and administrators will realize that you see the line between student and teacher. That's the first step in getting all those people to respect you.

Oh, and welcome to A to Z!!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2010

I imagine that the school climate will dictate what students call you. At my school it would be extremely weird to have students address you by your first name.

Mrs. Lastname is always acceptable.

Good luck to you! :)

5. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Jan 18, 2010

Definitely go with Mrs. Lastname. The most casual my kids ever get is Mrs. B.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 19, 2010

I agree, go with Mrs. Lastname, or Ms. Lastname unless the whole school does something different. You don't want the parents thinking you're less of a teacher, and I think they will if you don't go by your last name. My own children have had three student teachers and all of them went by last names and I would have found it odd if they didn't.

7. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 19, 2010

I agree completely. I didn't mind the kids calling me Mr. J, but they usually just called me Mr. LastName. I did not allow them to use my first name and - in fact - never told them what my first name was. They eventually figured out what it was, but I told them I was still to be called Mr. Lastname.

As a modeling of this behavior, I very often called my students Mr. or Ms. Lastname as well. One of my college profs used to call his students Dr. Lastname and I always thought that made his classes a little more entertaining.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 19, 2010

My students call me Mrs. Lastname. Sometimes they'll call me Mrs. Husband's Lastname, cause they are different. One student calls me by my first name, because I knew her before I taught there. Then, one student calls me Mrs. Girl Husband's nickname. My husband works at the same school, and teaches gifted, and they all have these wonderful nicknames for each other. Also, in drama, they call me Madame Director Lady.

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2010

Mr. Lastname.
    Also: Mom, Mister, Teacher, Nana, and any one of five Kindergarten teachers at our school.

So far no kid has called me grandpa. He or she is in for a very long first grade year if that ever happens.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2010

I was telling some of my students yesterday that teachers have a very, very long memory when it comes to comments about being old!

I agree with using your last name; it sends the message to the students that you are a teacher, not a friend.

Students call me: Mrs. Lastname, Mrs. C, Miss, and one calls me, "Yo, Mrs.C" (said with a bit of a drawl and complete respect).

11. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Jan 19, 2010

Students call me Mr. Lastname. Definitely need to have that teacher persona to help you with classroom management.

12. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2010

Ms. Lastname. My husband wants the kids to call me Mrs. Lastname, but it doesn't flow well, so I always write Ms. on the board. Lots of kids want to call me Ms. "L". That's fine with me, but I like them to know my entire last name in case they need to remember it for something important.

At first, I felt really weird about being called Ms. Lastname. I'm a career-changer, and even though I'm in my 40s, it sounded so old and grown-up. Now, I'm used to it.

As a side note, I think other teachers would not like the kids having permission to call a teacher by his/her first name. It brings down the level of respect for school authority.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 19, 2010

Mrs. Lastname, and sometimes Ms. Maiden last name.

14. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Jan 19, 2010

Mrs. Lastname.

Of course, I have one girl who calls me "Miss Ummmmm" and has to think about what my real last name is. You'd think she'd have it figured out by now! ;)

15. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Jan 19, 2010

My students call me Mr. Lastname and sometimes Mr. D.

16. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Jan 19, 2010

My students call me by my first name where I teach. The students also call me by my first name where I am known as the school psychologist. Not really my choice, just the culture of those particular schools.

17. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Jan 21, 2010

Okay, I have a question along the same lines. If I'm going to be doing classroom observations for a class, would the last name rule apply? From what I understand, I'll be interacting with the kids as well as observing. Should I go with however my mentor teachers introduce me?

Sorry for the hijacking

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 21, 2010

When I 1st starting subbing at 24, I had the kids call me Miss Last name. Then, for some reason, starting 2-3 yrs ago, I just started having them call me Ms. Last name.

I guess it's my subconscious telling me that I'm getting older & preferr Ms., but it is shorter to write too!

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2010

I would imagine the mentor will introduce you as Ms Lastname.

And, yes, that's what I would go with anytime I was in any role but that of student.

20. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Jan 21, 2010

Absolutely. My MT introduced me as Mr. Lastname.

21. Toak

Toak Cohort

Jan 24, 2010

Well they usually get my last name wrong, even though its written on the board, so pretty much anything that comes close to my name is okay with me. I also don't force the Ms. issue when they call me Mrs.

Reminds me of one day when the kids swore they all knew my husband. Lets say my last name is Johns and my "husband's" last name was Johnson. Nothing I said would convince those second graders that my last name wasn't proof of my being married to Mr. Johnson

22. Miyata210

Miyata210 Rookie

Jan 27, 2010

Thanks for all of your replies. I was curious to know if it was standard to use the last name even as an intern/volunteer/student teacher. My university never addressed it, so perhaps they thought it was something everyone already knew.

Well, I've had three great days at my final internship (which leads into student teaching). I have found that writing my name on the board has helped students remember my name. Now I just need to remember all of their names (about 150 students, as it's middle school), not to mention all of the school's faculty and staff! :)

23. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jan 27, 2010

Mr. Lastname, Mr. B.

If the school policy was first name, I would adjust.

Sometimes I call my Juniors and Seniors Mr./Ms. to help them get used to the idea of being called by title, which starts happening more around that age, especially from banks, doctors, and the like.

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 27, 2010

I worked in an inner city school. Most of the time I was just "Miss". I considered it a high complement when I got a "Ms Lastname" out of them. When talking about me, they used my last name, or "Sarge" :D. I wasn't the easiest teacher in the school.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 27, 2010

Title plus last name is the best bet; if you're willing to accept title plus first initial of last name, that's not a problem either.

The teacher I most respected in high school was the one we all had to call by her first name, because she simply didn't respond to her surname - one of the guys in the journalism class explicitly tested the proposition one day, in fact, by standing in front of her desk as she was doing something absorbing but interruptable for about five minutes and politely attempting her last name and title at various volumes and intonations, to no avail; when he softly murmured her first name, however, she looked up immediately to find out what he wanted.

I vividly remember having to explain to an administrator, however, just why we shouldn't all be written up for insubordination; that was not fun.