What do teachings need for the new year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bmondin, Jul 15, 2010.

1. bmondin

bmondin Rookie

Jul 15, 2010

Can an one give me an idea of what we will need for the new year?

I am a new teacher and I have not been able to get into my classroom yet.

What are some Important things that all teachers must have???
    :dizzy:

3. bmondin

bmondin Rookie

Jul 15, 2010

oh I forgot to mention I am a 5th grade reading and social studies teacher

4. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 15, 2010

Have you read Harry Wong's book The First Days of School? I would start by getting a copy of that. It will help you prepare. Then get yourself a good planning book and some office supplies. Getting a library of books would be another place to start since you teach that. Check ebay, GoodWill and used book stores for less expensive ones. Check for scholastic for good 5th grade reading books. Other than that you should see what is in the classroom.

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 15, 2010

Make sure you get lots of pretty borders and decorations. That's what REALLY makes a good teacher.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 15, 2010

Bmodin, make sure you check with your department chair or school secretary first to see what will be provided for you. Lots of schools do a really good job with providing supplies for teachers. Once you know that, you can hit up the Walmart school sales for the basics like markers, glue, crayons, paper, pencils, etc.

7. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2010

Uh-oh....

BTW - she is joking... right?

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2010

I've already been corrected for voicing an opinion on this topic today, so I'll pass on that last question.

I'll address the elephant in the room: CONTENT!!!!!!

Find out what you'll be teaching, and become as close to an expert on it as is possible.

If you don't have access to the textbooks, hit the state standards.

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 15, 2010

You're half right Lynn... he is joking :lol:

10. bmondin

bmondin Rookie

Jul 15, 2010

what about the schools? do they give you things too?? what about grade books? do i have to buy them??

11. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2010

haha - I work with only women. I wish there were male teachers at my school. oh well....

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 15, 2010

Check with youc school. I have been in schools that simply purchased standard grade books for every teacher and schools that have allowed me to choose my own grade book and reimbursed me. Some schools now do their grading online and don't purchase grade books at all. Most schools will supply the standard office supplies (tape, pens, pencils, etc.) but you have to take the brand they order. I usually purchase much of my own desk supplies because I get very picky about things like having real Post-It Notes (never generic), Swingline staples only, and certain kinds of ballpoint pens. Pencils and tape I couldn't care less about. Oh, and I only ever use Expo brand dry erase markers. They make the least amount of mess on my board.

13. bmondin

bmondin Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

*bump it up*

14. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 19, 2010

Definitely start researching state standards!! You can usually find them online.

15. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2010

Do you work with a team? I would ask someone on the team. They usually have materials for you to use/borrow. I wouldn't go out buying anything until you know more about what is already available. Good luck.

16. meeko32198

meeko32198 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

I'm dealing with the same problem bmodin. I won't see my class until next week and I'll be doing all subjects for 5th grade. This is my first year teaching as well. I have been asking at the teacher supply stores and they gave me some good information to start with.

Calendar Set - I got a generic star background that I can add date plates to.

Pocket Charts - For things you know you will be doing. Like for example I know I was going to use them for word work and vocabulary skills so I got 5 mutli purpose ones from the dollar section at target.

Accents,Borders,Blank Charts, Bulletin boards - I got a birthday one, job chart, welcome banner, and nameplates. I know I'm going to tie my content into their class theme so I got a few planet and star packs. I also got some die-cut letters from dollar tree and a cursive border for my room with stars on it.

In looking at my state standards I was able to get some material (pictures, inflatable planets, etc) for my science content. I know in most schools they have math manipulatives for the teacher so I didn't purchase these. In my school each child has a laptop, we have a class Smartboard and I have a tablet notebook so I looked at lesson plan books to give me some content that I can incorporate electronically.

I've also started looking at all of the content books at the teaching stores in my area to get ideas. I want to get my class materials before I buy anything else on that side so I make sure I'm not wasting money on duplicates.

The other big thing to start thinking about is how are you going to communicate information to parents and students. What procedures are you going to have, are you going to make a website, etc. Some of this will be determined by the school and your handbook once you get it but you can usually find your school's student handbook on their website. I found a lot of information on mine to help me out.

What have you gotten so far? :)

17. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2010

I would not buy many content books because there is so much available on the Internet. The rest of what you mentioned will all be helpful.

18. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 19, 2010

I'm a 5th grade teacher this year. I only bought pencils, folders, spiral notebooks, and word strips. Everything cost me a penny, minus the word strips.

Last year was my first year as a classroom teacher. My MAJOR mistake was buying all those fancy posters. I put them up and then our district told us what is allowed on our walls (rubrics and approved strategies).

Make your OWN grade book. Usually, your district has certain grading requirements, so find out this info and then make your own. Buy a strong pencil sharpener. NEVER let the ids use it because they break easily and are expensive. I use the interweb to find worksheets to use.

Good luck!

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2010

halfateacher needs a "sarcastic" smilie.

20. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 19, 2010

He was joking!

21. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 19, 2010

Sorry! I didn't read the whole thread :eek:

22. ecochick

ecochick Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

I LOVE my teacher binder. It is a 1" 3-ring binder with dividers. I have one section for grades, another with a calendar for meetings, one for a brief version of my lesson plans, parent contact section, etc. Just find what works for you. I like having everything in one place. Staying organized and managing your time are the secrets to surviving your first year. Also, as already said, prepare as much as you can before school starts.

23. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 19, 2010

Do you have pics of that binder ecochick? I'd love to see how you have it set up.

24. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Jul 19, 2010

Do NOT waste your money on fancy posters and other decorations. most of the things on my wall are focus-driven; Anchor charts, I-charts, rubrics, etc.

25. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jul 19, 2010

I would also purchase an Easy-Grader. It's a very handy tool, especially for the teachers who always use a 100pt scale.

26. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 19, 2010

You can probably get into your classroom now - ask the office. I'd minimize purchases - esp. if you are right out of school.

I went to the dollar store and bought cute pads of teacher note paper and used those as borders. Dollar Tree has a teacher section where you can get some items. Over time, you'll be able to purchase more "decorative" items. Make sure you have your own desk/office supplies, extra loose leaf paper.

I knew I'd have about 24 kids/ class so I bought 6 large pencil boxes at WalMart on sale, and filled each one with a box of crayons, a box of broad and narrow markers, and a box of colored pencils. Five years later, I still use the same boxes, have recycled many of the supplies if they are still in useable condition.

I don't know about other teachers, but my first year, I thought everything had to be perfect - decorations on bulletin boards, new supplies, etc. but didn't have the $$ to do it. I learned very quickly that classroom management and content knowledge mattered more to the kids than how perfectly my room was decorated or supplied.

27. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2010

Well said.

28. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2010

Check with the other teachers at your school, because you may want some professional posters--I think they give color to the classroom and a polished look. Personally, I like my classroom to have lots on the walls because my walls are so ugly. We can paint in our rooms but I have not been able to convince my teenage son that he wants to spend part of his summer painting my classroom so I cover the walls in posters, word walls, and focus boards.

29. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 19, 2010

I second getting an Easy-grader. Invaluable. I use the rectangular one.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2010

Kind of a minor thing:

You need a good weather proof bag.

For many,many years I used a leather briefcase-- my last one was a gorgeous teal color.

The past few years the doctor has nixed leather-- it's too heavy. So instead I've been using a canvas bag. It's not nearly as professional, and doesn't have the dividers to separate things, but what can you do?

Some of the people in my builidng use Vera Bradley totes.

Other incidentals:
    -a Professional wardrobe, whatever that means in the school in which you'll be.

- a sweater to leave in your homeroom/ classroom, for unexpectedly cold days or days when you're starting to come down sick

- comfortable, professional shoes. I like "I love comfort" shoes at Sears. They're in the $25-$30 range, look decent with a skirt or suit, and really are comfortable.

-silly, I know, but I put stickers on test grades of 90 or above.

-a notebook or binder to record who attends extra help.

- a binder with class notes for each subject/ prep. I type up any notes and put them into plastic page protectors. Mine are color coded.

- a vertical file for your desk top. Each class has its own folder, with extras for my homeroom and makeup tests.

31. ecochick

ecochick Rookie

Jul 20, 2010

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture. I set up my dividers in a way that worked for me. Here are the sections I have.

Grades - my district has a web based grading program but I still keep a hard copy.

Lesson plans - Very brief descriptions of what I'm doing each day. One page per week. With a to do list at the bottom.

Calendar - Keeps me organized with all of the meetings and IEPs I need to attend.

Log Charts - I always keep track of when I contact parents whether about grades/performance or behavior. I log when I contacted, the method I used, and the result (left msg etc). I also log when students are invited for extra help, if they came, and how long they stayed (were they late, etc).

Copy of Seating Charts

Section with extra paper to make notes in meetings.

I think that is about it. I like having things brief and all in one place. It makes it easy when I'm trying to find something.

Another thing I've found helpful. I attach some file folders to the wall with the days of the week on them. One for each day. When I finish passing out things, I put extra copies in the proper day of the week. I teach 7th grade, and tell my kids from the beginning that if they are absent they are responsible for getting work. With this method, when they come and ask what they missed (which most still do). I can point them to the folders on the wall and don't have to stop what I'm doing to look for an extra copy. It also works for kids that constantly misplace things.

Next, I completely agree with the EZ grader idea. I like the rectangular one best.

32. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 20, 2010

I agree, you will need good shoes. I wore cheap target shoes my first year of teaching and they quickly wore out and I wound up with some pretty terrible foot issues. I only wear quality shoes with good arch support now. Good brands to look at are clarks, naturalizer, dansko, sanita, etc. The naturalizer website is having clearance right now so I stocked up.

You will need a complete set of clothes down to socks and underwear to keep at school. You never know when you will get completely soaked or some science/art project will land you in a huge mess. I also keep a spare sweater or jacket.

You will need a bottle of tylenol or advil. I also keep tea bags and sweetner for when that headache arrives.

You will need a basic calendar set, a method to display the class schedule, supplies to make a word wall, some border (I like to use ribbon).

You will also need a method to hand back work and papers like a mailbox system. Since you are departmentalized it would probably work better for you to have a file crate with a hanging file for each student. As you grade work you put their paper in their folder. They can check their folder on a certain day (Friday.)

You will also need paper trays or some kind of organization to collect incoming work and organize it.

a timer - to set time limits for a variety of purposes

a behavior management system/reward system

Go to scholastic.com and sign up to do book clubs. You can earn points to get books and supplies for your room. By the time you have done your first order you will have a better idea of what you could use the most.

2 ezgraders - one to keep at school and one to keep at home.

33. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 21, 2010

If you don't want to spend the money on an Easy Grader, just buy a calculator and divide the points earned by the points possible and multiply by 100.

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2010

Yeah, I had never heard of an EZ grader until someone mentioned it here a few weeks ago.

I just make my tests 100 points and my quizzes 10; no calculator needed.

35. bmondin

bmondin Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

bump

36. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2010

How do we make our own gradebook?

37. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 22, 2010

I just finished my first year and I agree with several previous posts...
    The binder, esp. for all the meetings and trainings for new teachers.
    The easy grader.
    A stapler.
    *I won't buy a pencil sharpener b/c the kids will break it quickly, I use the school supplied one.
    *I am guilty of buying posters, however, I won't be putting up anything but a place value chart and a multiplication chart. The rest we will make in class. Someone pointed out to me this summer that if the students have ownership in the posters, they'll be more likely to pay attention to them (I teach math).
    *The rest of the resources I used last year I borrowed from the other teachers, library and math coach. The ones I really liked, I'll buy for myself this year.
    *I also love ecochicks idea about posting folders on the walls with the assignments for absent students. I will definitely be using that this year.
    **One last piece of advice, I learned this the hard way, do every assignment yourself before giving it to the students.
    Good luck, you'll do great!

38. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 22, 2010

This thread is very helpful! thank you all for sharing...some things I had not even thought of yet!

39. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 23, 2010

And they're less likely to deface them. I got a lot of stab marks through my posters, although I had one teacher who floated into my room whose students where very destructive and did quite a bit of the destruction. But some it was my students who thought they were destroying school owned supplies. When I let them know it had been purchased out of my pocket they were somewhat contrite. However, I never had any problems with the bulletin board that contained student work.

40. bmondin

bmondin Rookie

Jul 24, 2010

Thanks everyone... I have only bought school supplies, because they were on sale. My mother is going to pay for everything to set up my classroom but she wanted me to wait till Monday because that's when I find out whats in my room!( My graduation gift;) )

41. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2010

What a nice graduation gift!