What do Teachers Like Subs to Do?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by mckbearcat48, Jul 29, 2016.

1. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 29, 2016

Well, I'm going to be subbing again. I hate it and myself for doing it, but you classroom teachers and the kids deserve my best efforts every day.

What do all y'all regular teachers want to see from a sub?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2016

It depends on the sub. If I know the sub and know that they can do a good job, I have them teach my regular plans. If it is a sub I have never used before, or one that I don't think can handle a lot, I have them focus on review plans. I always expect them to handle the class professionally and follow the plans I have left.

I don't expect them to do grading, attend meetings, participate in after school activities, etc. I also don't expect them to reply to parent notes, other than to tell them I will contact them when I return.

4. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 29, 2016

I want to sub for you then. I love the teaching part of the day even its a few minutes a day.

5. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jul 29, 2016

Do you have business cards you can leave for teachers whose classes you'd like to teach again? I found that helped me get requested for jobs, which was always nice. You can make them really easily in ms word or go all out and get nice ones online. I know that probably makes subbing feel more permanent than you'd like, but it really does make a difference with networking that could lead to relationships with staff and a full time job.

(Sorry I can't help with your initial question, as my only experience is student teaching or subbing haha.)

mckbearcat48 likes this.
  6. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 29, 2016

Yeah, I have about 10000 business cards from my law days as well as a picture resume I dropped off in different schools.

Good luck to you too!

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2016

Have at it! Except that you would have to move to Fl and then you would probably end up with your own classroom :p

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2016

I just want subs to follow my plans as well as they can and to tell me about anything weird that happened.

I don't like returning to find surprises or messes (literal or figurative) that I have to clean up. Please don't tell me that everything went fine when it didn't.

9. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 29, 2016

I want the sub and students to enjoy their day. I want them to modify the schedule I give them and give them some freedom in the classroom.

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2016

I never expected much from subs ....
    • Prevent the kids from harming each other, themselves, or the classroom or its contents.
    • Prevent the kids from harming the substitute teacher.
    • It's a big plus if there is not a suspension notice, police report, accident report, hazmat incident report, SWAT team after-action report, or confiscated contraband in my box when I return.
    But most importantly, I want both the sub and the kids to HAVE FUN in my absence. In all honesty, I actually like it if a substitute teacher tosses my lesson plan because he or she has something in their own bag of tricks that is more fun and engaging than what I had planned. Most of the time, my sub plans consist of worksheets and busy work because I generally have no idea as to the teaching abilities of whoever is taking my class. Therefore, if they have something better, that's great.

Pashtun likes this.
  11. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 29, 2016

These are my thoughts too, well said Sarge.

12. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 29, 2016

Thanks. I try to leave a detailed note and a personal email with the good, the bad, and the ugly. I do make sure the room is cleaned up. I am a guest in your classroom for that day.

13. Teachertimes

Teachertimes Rookie

Jul 29, 2016

I never want a sub to talk down to any of my students. I've seen it happen so much. I pretty much agree with everyone else, follow the plans and be honest with me in your note.

Mr.Literature likes this.
  14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2016

Follow my plans, follow the school expectations regarding behaviour (technology, dress code, gum, etc), be on time and be vigilant for my supervision duty, treat my students with respect and enjoy them!

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2016

Follow my plans
    Manage behaviors positively
    Leave me a note of how the day goes
    Leave the room neat.

16. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2016

This is something that doesn't get mentioned enough. While of course, as a sub, you want to portray yourself in the best way possible...even as the regular classroom teacher we know that it doesn't go perfectly. The more honesty, the better, both in recapping how the day went academically and behaviorally.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2016

Unfortunately some subs think it went swimmingly when it fact it didn't.

mathmagic likes this.
  18. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 30, 2016

I suppose that if the sub has something that they think is appropriate to do, I'd be OK with that. The problem I've had with the majority of subs I've had is that they don't know how to effectively teach and manage the time! They'll breeze through activities and lessons that should take up all the time... and then they wonder why they have problems managing the class?

19. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 30, 2016

I only got subs twice all the years I taught. One left no note - so though the projector got damaged by itself ? It would have been nice to get a heads up on that one. The other one said all my classes were horrible , and left nail clippings on the floor and never handed out the assignment. I don't think these people deserved 140 a day.

20. Mr.Literature

Mr.Literature Companion

Jul 30, 2016

For some reason, I keep getting subs that don't know how to handle my kids. I work at a title 1 school where classroom management is earned. My kids know how to behave. I've been told I have good classroom management consistently by my principals. Every time I come back the kids are asking me why I left them with a crazy person who kept sending kids out. For any little thing. Even sent out one of my best boys for something he didn't say! According to all the other kids a kid passing by the door said something just as my student was walking in and the sub kicked him out. It's ridiculous. If you can't manage students, don't sub. Luckily the guidance counselors knew my boy was good and they just let him sit in the office and he didn't get penalized for the sub's mistake.

When I give detailed instructions to a sub, and I always do, I want those instructions followed. I've learned to not give my kids any work that can hurt them when a sub is there though.

Mind you, I'm not saying all subs are bad. My mom gets some of the best subs at her elementary school. Unfortunately at my school we seem to get the duds.

21. danqatsi

danqatsi Rookie

Sep 9, 2016

I've actually sort of had the inverse a few times. My ability to manage a class isn't perfect but I have far more good days than bad. In the schools I work at the kids have told me that I'm known as having very clear standards but that I'm generally "cool" as long as they are followed. The problem kids don't like me, the others are usually happy to see me. I see that as some sign that what I'm doing works.

I almost habitually can turn around a class that I've been told is "the worst" yet have had some angelic classes come a bit off the rails. I've since talked to each of the 2 or 3 teachers whose classes this happened with and they all said that the kids just don't like it when they're out. I've seen each of them work their class and I can see why. I see it as a compliment to their skills and character - albeit a weird one.

It's also possible that your subs are bad but from what you've shared I think it's probably just the kids wanting their regular teacher there and not some stranger.