What do Subs Need?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by ~Teacher~, Jul 10, 2005.

1. ~Teacher~

~Teacher~ Rookie

Jul 10, 2005

I'd like to hear from the subs on the board as to how us teachers can aid them in making their days easier. I am looking at putting a helpful folder together this year and would like input!

3. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Jul 10, 2005

As a sub, I really found it helpful when the teacher would leave a detailed schedule for the day including the time each thing should be done. Let the sub know who will be the best helpers and who to watch out for. Make sure there is extra work or word puzzles so that the sub is not stranded with nothing if they get finished early. Include a class list of names. Most teachers would leave the materials and books that the sub will need in a stack in order of when they will be needed right next to the plans. A post it note on each worksheet or book explaining the assignment helps a lot. It seems like someone would be able to figure it out, but trust me it makes it so much easier just to have it right there! It was nice when the teacher would make a little thank you somewhere in the sub plans. I hope this helps!

4. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Jul 10, 2005

A map of the school would be great, especially if the sub will be walking kids to specials, or picking them up from recess or something like that. Also indicate where the teacher's lounge is, so if they would like to make use of it on their lunch they know where to go.

5. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Jul 13, 2005

A list of students with special needs (is there a student who needs unlimited access to the washroom) AND who are on IPP's (even if its modified or unsigned, I need to know what to expect from each student).

Fire Escape route (what if the fire alarm is pulled or if the principal decides that day to have a drill?)

List of reliable students

Class rules

A book to read that the students will want to continue with even though you aren't there ( I bring my own, but sometimes you are already reading one aloud, and I can read that to them when I run out of activities.

The name of the teacher across the hall for advice and help if needed.

Is there a discipline plan in place? How does it work? Do you want me to follow your rules or just leave it in my note for you to follow-up on tomorrow?

Do the kids come to the room on their own? Or do I go get them? If so, a map would help me know where to go.

I hope these help.

6. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 13, 2005

When I was subbing, I was amazed at the number of teachers who did not leave a class list or a seating chart. I rarely got left a seating chart, but it was one of the most helpful things. If a student over in the corner is acting up, with no seating chart, I have to go over to them to tell them to settle down. With a seating chart, I can glance at it to see who they are and then tell them to settle down without stopping what I am doing at that moment. Also, I would like to have explicit directions for how to get to places outside of the classroom which I will need to be - the library, the multipurpose room, the playground (where do I pick up the class exactly?) I can't count the number of times I went out to a playground and was calling out, "I'm looking for Mrs. Jone's class" or had to ask another teacher, "Do you know where Mr. Brown's class lines up?" If you leave a note which says, my class lines up by the basketball hoop, or by the bushes, it really helps.

7. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Jul 14, 2005

I take pictures of all the kids at the beginning of the year to have on the computer for projects. I also use those pictures to make a class picture page for my sub folder. That way they can start learning a few names before the day begins.

8. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 14, 2005

You may have to wait until you know the kids better, but a heads up on what to look out for. Who has behavioural issues, who is hyperactive, who can help and is really responsible, etc...

I have found that seating plans don't help because as a sub you don't know the kids anyway (lots of them change places and names to confuse you). So if you are going to include a seating plan, include a strategy such as pictures to help with it.

For the very young students - end of day routines. Who walks, who takes the bus, how early to have them get ready, who needs more help, etc...

More than enough work. I'd say at least 80% of the time, I'm not left enough work. Require that the work be handed in at the end of the period. This makes them accoutable for how they used their time. So many times, students have said: "I'm not doing this, she won't look at it anyway." Very frustrating for a sub because they you just end up with endless behaviour issues.

Follow through with whatever notes you receive from the sub. Too many times the teacher comes back and doesn't enforce consequences for bad behaviour, so the kid feels like he got away with it and does it again.

Warn the kids if you can that you won't be there and explain exactly what the expectation will be for them, and the consequence if they don't meet it.

I know some of this has nothing to do with preparing something, but they are some things to keep in mind. It seems even the most experienced teachers have no clue what a sub goes through if they don't take the time to think of these things ahead of time.

9. teacherspet24

teacherspet24 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005

I am a teacher now, but subbed many years ago. I make sure I put a class roster, weekly schedule, names of kids and teachers who will be helpful to them just in case. If I know I am going to be out I leave detailed plans including any handouts and teacher's manuals opened to the correct page right on my desk. I also have in my folder misc. dittos for kids that finish their work early so they don't get into trouble. I leave in there game ideas and quick 5 minute activities in case they need to fill time before specials. I list where to find all my eiquipment, books, and specific supplies they might need. I give them a sub.-evaluation sheet to fill out to let me know what they were able to cover and what lessons they couldn't (with a section to check why they couldn't eg. ran out of time, student beh., etc.) with a space to write a letter about how their day went and which students were most helpful/disruptive, so that I may reward those who were well behaved. This ensures the next time, most of my children are well behaved for the sub.
    Hope this is helpful.
    Melissa

10. DANIELLERH

DANIELLERH New Member

Jul 15, 2005

You also might want to let the sub know about any ways your school might be different from other schools. When I subbed, I was at a different school almost every day and no two schools were alike. I've seen a dozen different procedures just in the way lunch was operated. I got chewed out once because apparently I was supposed stand at the entrance and make sure that not more than 4 kids were in line at a time. I had no idea. A little note from the teacher would have saved me a lot of embarrassment.

Have a nice day :),
    Danielle

11. wvsasha

wvsasha Companion

Jul 16, 2005

I also leave my home phone number in the sub folder for subs just in case I forgot to leave something really important and noone can figure it out.

Luckily my hubbie and I teach at the same school and only rarely are we both absent the same day, and our rooms are in the same hallway so we check on each others' subs throughout the day. Pretty nice for all concerned.

12. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 16, 2005

I also leave a list of the children who have allergies. I had a child who was allergic to peanuts, dairy and other things. I left explicit instructions for the sub what to do concerning him. Since he was so sensitive we washed our hands a lot and cleaned the tables many times throughout the day.

I also leave a list of activities of what the children can do when they are finished. I also tell the sub what they are not allowed to play with or do that day.

13. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 16, 2005

I have a sub folder that includes the following : A note of greeting thanking them for coming and telling them who takes what where (lunch attendance) as well as the procedure for taking the attendance and lunch count, seating chart /pictures of each student, fire/tornado drill procedure, lunch procedure, schedule, students that leave to go other places (resource, gifted, ell, ect), if I have a student that needs to take meds, copy of how my behavior plan works (I use a card system), activities to do if they finish something early, what activities students are and aren't allowed to do during the day, who is supposed to feed Fred the Guinea Pig and Fish the Betta (class pets), and a detailed (almost minute by minute) plan for the day. Where each activity/ect is located. My ap looked @ my folder and she wanted to use it as an example for other teachers because it was so detailed. I also place each manual and ditto on the edge of my desk with a sticky note telling when/what pages to use. I leave a page of stickers for her to give them if they have been very good and a checklist for me as to who got the sticker. I then deal with those students (they get to chew gum in class the next day as a reward for 20 minutes) and the others have to write a note of apology to the sub for not showing their best behavior. If I get a "perfect performance" note then we get money in the Compliment Pig (reward system) and they earn something everytime they earn 15.00 in the Pig (icecream party, popcorn and a movie on Friday afternoon, extra recess and lunch outside, pizza party). Last year it worked well enough that I only had to have one child write a note of apology and they earned each of the rewards listed plus a couple of more. I also would do a treasure box (small trinkets from dollar tree) @ the end of the month if they didn't have any card moves during the month.