What do/should you tell your students about yourself?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TennisPlayer, Aug 6, 2008.

1. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 9, 2008

I've written about my shopping trips. My kids always ask if I really bought that!

When I did spelling tests, I would make up sentences using stuff from school or my life. They were always asking if it was true.

2. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 10, 2008

In my school, we choose a student of the week from each class. In my class, as part of this, I give them an All About Me poster to complete, which they share at the class meeting on Friday. Since we obviously don't have a student of the week for the first week of school, I have made a poster for myself. It includes favorites (food, sport, subject, book, animal) hobbies, "I'm a star because...", members of my family, and yes, my age. OK, there. I said it. I tell the students my age. I also include "Three super cool facts about myself are...(I sing opera, I am technology coordinator for the school, I'm friends with Tomie DePaola).

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 10, 2008

This is what I share-

A poster with pictures on it and my interests written all around the edges. They get to meet my parents over the course of the year, and they also hear a lot about my childhood through stories I write. They do eventually learn that I was bullied in school because of something I teach them in class. They will never know where I live or my age. They do quite easily realize, though, that I am in my upper 20s. For some reason, last year's class thought I was 27 when I was still 25. I considered it a compliment. :)

4. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 10, 2008

I made a bb with headings from Carson-Dellosa: My favorite books, my favorite color, my favorite food, my pets, when I grow up I want to be, etc. Then I put pictures under each one. The title is Who am I? Of course I'm first and then we'll use it for the kids. When they ask me my age, I ask them how old they think I am and I'll take whatever age they give me. :lol: I've been everthing from 4 to 100. (although in my mild classroom I was 36 for 3-4 years because it was a mnemonic to remember the # of inches in a yard)

5. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 10, 2008

I have 8th graders so i just told a little about me my likes and interests and about my three kids. I have one in Iraq. one in 11th and one in the 6th. I didnt give to much informaton just enough for them to loosen up and to know me a little.. :)

6. zoodies

zoodies Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

Buck8teacher, I do the same thing with me bags! The students bring in me bags at the end of the first week and share w/ the class. They love it.

7. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 11, 2008

I'm pretty open. I don't have a problem telling my age either.

8. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Aug 11, 2008

This is my first year teaching, but I think that I will tell them about my hubby, my children, that I attend church, some of my hobbies, and I would tell them my age, but only if they asked.