What do/should you tell your students about yourself?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TennisPlayer, Aug 6, 2008.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

I've been reading about not revealing personal information so I'm wondering what other teachers do reveal? How do you respond when students want to know your age?!:)

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2008

Well, I would never tell my age...they can speculate all they want. :)

Things I plan on telling my students...I have a dog, I have five older brothers and sisters, I like to have fun outdoors, watch movies, cook and bake, and I also plan to share a photo of myself when I was 4/5 years old (the age at which my students will be).

4. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

Last year I told my students I was 103 years old because they really wanted to know. Of course they took lots of guesses from age 20 to 28, but they didn't find out until the end of the year when my dad came to visit the classroom. He told my birthdate including the year, and they were then able to figure out how old I really was.

I talk about my pets a lot with my students, especially since I have four of them, and some students know my pets because they live in my neighborhood.

I actually make up a quiz about myself for the first day of school and have the students take it. If any of the students get 100% then I'll give them $100 decision dollars, but last year no one got 100% correct :)

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 6, 2008

I have a fun poster (well, legal sized piece of paper) with my name on it, and then stickers all around it that tell about me. Disney, sewing, books, pirates, fall leaves, etc. I keep it hung on the front board, and the kids can go look at it if they want. I think I made it one year when we all did that. Like an about-me poster, but with stickers. I usually tell them about the stickers on the first day.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2008

We do many 'getting to know you' activities the first few days. I share:
    married
    kids
    pets
    hobbies

not my age;)

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2008

My students know--
    the names and ages of my kids and their interests
    I've married
    the neighbourhood I live in
    my interests
    a bit about my childhood (I moved a lot before I was 10)

8. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I always tell my students about myself and my family. I want them to know I'm not only a teacher but a mother, wife, sister, and daughter. I tell them about my sons, my hobbies, that I go to church and teach Sunday School. I do not tell them how old I am.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 6, 2008

It's interesting. When i shared with my fifth graders about myself, they soaked everything in and never forgot a detail.

When I tried to tell my middle schoolers last year about myself, they talked over me, and didn't even realize several months later that I was married.

Perhaps it's the age.

10. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

Peachie--

Do you give the quiz before you tell them the information or afterwards to see how well they listened? :lol:

11. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

Jem-
    That sounds interesting especially with all of the scrapbooking stickers these days! ( I don't scrapbook but I've seen them used on projects and like that idea!!!)

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2008

I tell them a lot about my family (I have an older sister and a niece and a nephew). They know about my boyfriend because I have a picture of us on my desk, but we've been together for 5 years and plan on getting married. I have told kids my age, but maybe its because I'm young and I don't care if they know (I'm 27). They also sometimes meet my dad who is a retired art teacher. he's usually their favorite visitor!

13. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Aug 6, 2008

I'm also only 27, so I don't care if they know my age. I talk about my family a lot. My one son is school-aged, so they all know him from seeing him around the building. I like to share my hobbies and other things that I like. I'll share what I've been busy doing this past summer (buying my first home, and getting a puppy). Because I loop with my kids, I feel like it is inevitable for them to really get to know me. My students and their families become one big extended family. I think it is important for them to see me as a human being, not just a teacher.

Last night I went to a viewing for one of our second graders. I didn't mind at all that my former students were there and I cried openly with the rest of the families there. My school is small, and we are like a big family. I think that makes it a little easier to be able to show emotion

14. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

My kids know:

Who my husband is. He is a police officer and has come up to school before to volunteer.

That I love to play volleyball

That I have 2 cocker spaniels

I think that is about it actually....

15. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2008

Ditto!

16. wiscteacher

wiscteacher Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I'm pretty open about my personal life... I never really think twice when kids ask me questions. My kids know a lot about my family - well, my husband and dog, lol. My husband is a teacher in a neighboring district, so he visits quite a bit when we have school and he doesn't. Once last year, I lost my voice and he had the day off, so he came in and taught for me. I whispered or wrote down what I needed him to say. The kids still talk about it!

I work in a tiny town - population 2000. So...whether I like it or not, everyone knows your business....

17. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2008

I have no problem telling them how old I am because I really don't care about it, it is just a number after all. About the only thing I don't tell them is my home and cell number and my address. Otherwise they can ask away.

18. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

I am 26 so I don't care if they ask how old I am either.

19. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 6, 2008

I agree with many others

married
    hobbies
    family
    etc.

I tell them about where I grew up (I often use stories from growing up for writers' workshop) and about my time teaching in bush Alaska.

20. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 6, 2008

I am the same way. I want my 5th graders to know me as a person, not just as a teacher. It helps when I am not feeling well, because they are more sympathetic towards me-and many of the girls love to "mother" me when I have a headache! I tell them how old I am, because it is a number,not how I feel. My class loves to hear stories about me-especially when I was their age. We have great conversations!!!:D

21. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

i agree! i tell them about anything they ask...by the end of the school year i give them my home address so they can write me letters. i live about 15 minutes from school and teach first grade so don't think they can toilet paper my house or just show up on my doorstep. it would be quite a hike:D

22. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

How do you explain a boyfriend? Mine - we live together but dont plan on getting married for a few more years.

23. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Aug 6, 2008

I live with my boyfriend...I just choose to leave that part out. I tell them that I have a boyfriend. When I tell them about my nights or weekends at home they assume he comes to visit. They've asked where he lives and I just tell them that he lives pretty close to where I live.

24. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Aug 6, 2008

I too don't mind if they know how old I am. I don't tell them my address or phone numbers. I don't want any irrate parents to be able to find me at home!

25. lysithea88

lysithea88 Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

My school prints my home phone and address in a directory that is given out to every single family. I kind of wish they wouldn't give out that personal information.

26. I<3kiddos

I<3kiddos Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I am pretty much an open book! My third graders weren't too interested, but my kindergarteners loved to ask questions! They would even tease and call me by my first name sometimes (I had a slick group that could distinguish when the appropriate time for that was; it was fun!) I usually even disclose the general area where I live if they ask--just no specifics.

I think the biggest thing is to make sure you're comfortable with what you disclose.

27. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

I mention things as they come up, but don't go out of my way to tell them stuff. It is a really small school, so they end up knowing quite a bit. I like to share stories while I'm teaching science, so they know a few interesting tidbits (field work - all sorts of stuff can happen!).

For the longest time they didn't know my first name or age but eventuall they found out - no biggie. I don't give out my phone number or address, though I have had parents look me up using the phone book. I've had a few kids on the door for Halloween.

I guess to sum up, I don'y really keep anything a huge secret, but also try to keep my professional and personal life a bit seperate. Though I find that sharing a little bit about your interests helps develop a rapport with your class!

28. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

I have the office announce my age over the loudspeaker on my birthday.

29. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 6, 2008

My students know about my dog (I have pug stuff all over the room)...my horrible cough (so it doesn't scare them but they do not know why I cough)...my brother and about some of my friends.

They do not know about my boyfriend. I don't know why, I think maybe my girls might ask too many questions:)

30. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Aug 6, 2008

My birthday is in September and I usually celebrate it with my class. I bring them a treat like they do. I usually make them guess my age. I'll give them the year if they get stuck and show them how to figure it out. THey are usually surprised at my age because I look much younger (so I've been told). Plus I had my daughter late so in actuality I am close to many of their parents' ages. I do a getting to know you glyph the first day as well as 20 questions. When I call their name, they can either answer a question about themselves or they can ask me a question about me.

31. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 6, 2008

I do a Me bag and put some of my favorite things in there like a picture of my family, one of my friends, my favorite books, my college diploma, a picture of me running in a 5k, and a Brutus the Buckeye. The bag has shoes and shopping bags all over it. I refer to some things in my personal life when doing writing mini lessons, especially personal narratives.
    I like to get to know my students on a personal basis, and so I share a lot of things about me...so they feel more comfortable with me. My dad is also the fire chief where we live, and they know that! They love when the FD does inspections, or come to visit. "Oh look....you guys work for Miss Buck8teacher's dad. Miss Buck8teacher....there are some of your friends!" My dad brings a truck to school at the end of the year, and they really look forward to it!

32. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

I don't tell the kids my age either- I tell them they can guess and the answers are hysterical-- 15/60/10!! Adorable. I always say I'm 100.
    I think throughout the year if they have questions I do my best to answer them and since I lived in the neighborhood, I saw them around and we talked about events etc. so they knew some about me anyway. It was actually a nice way to connect to the kids.
    However-- I lived with my mother in town and I NEVERRRRRRR told them that part!

33. Just_Beginning2

Just_Beginning2 Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I wonder about this as well because I am a new, young teacher and not yet married but students often ask me about my boyfriend and does he live with me and things like that.... now I dont want to lie to them but I dont know about telling them that yes we live together and no we arent married. This years class just knew I had a boyfriend and his name because he helped make some of the furniture in our room and because of photos. But I always question how much to tell...

34. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

I would probably not tell them that you live with your boyfriend but I think it's fine for you to refer to him.

35. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 6, 2008

Just tell them it is none of their business. If you have younger kids of course say that a little nicer than I just did:)

They should learn that there are questions they just shouldn't ask anyway.

36. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

I do have pics of my BF on my desk, but they know him as my "friend" Dan. Last year when he came with me to a weekend school function a few of my girls did figure it out...but oh well, im an adult! I talk a lot about my friends, my cat, my parents, and my hobbies. They ask my age but I make them wait until my b day to find out....the suspense makes it more exctiing for them! I don't like have to always watch what I tell me students about my life....of course I would only tell appropriate stories. They do get a kick out of my stories!

37. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

Oh also, on my b day last year they knew they were going to find out my age, but I made them do a really challenging problem solving to get the answer!

38. km51571

km51571 Companion

Aug 7, 2008

i teach in a low ses area with challenging demographics so i am careful about my age. it's funny because those of you who said you were in your twenties seemed to tell students your age; however, i'm in my 20s too and won't tell them bc they seem to lose some respect for you. it's tough because even though i teach 5th grade i'm not that much older than them. a lot of the time they have parents/brothers/sisters who are my age that they don't listen to at home so why would they listen to someone the same age at school...:-( frustrating sometimes

however, they do know about my personal life. i live in the same zone as my school so i see them around frequently. some of my kids actually live in the same apt complex as i do. they do know that i'm from baltimore so i go home to visit and that i have a bf and we live together.

i think it's definitely just a matter of what you are comfortable with!

39. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 7, 2008

I agree. When I was student teaching I made the mistake of telling my students my age (I'm 23) and I got a lot of "my old cousin/sister is the same age as you." It wasn't so much that they lost respect for me at all, but the did start comparing me in their mind to the person that they knew that was the same age. I don't have a problem sharing most things with students, but I just don't want my students jumping to conclusions about me just because I happen to be the same age as someone else they know.

40. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

I tell them:

married,
    kids
    pets

no age, but on my birthday, if they find out, I give them the year that I was born and they have to figure it out.

They love finding out 1st names, they see mine as I participate in a postcard exchange & a couple of other exchanges & they see my name.

I talk about my kids and their activities, especially, if I have to rush out of the building to get somewhere at the end of the day.

I use my life experiences, what I did last night/over the weekend for writing purposes. They always ask if that is what I really did!

41. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2008

I would not tell them my age. It would be old to them no matter what age I was.

I like telling them about when I was a child their age...about the things I did. I think it helps with connecting with them. I also talk about my cats a lot because they are such interesting uniques personalities and some of the things they do are pretty funny. Animal talk is pretty much universal.