What do kinder teachers want their kids to learn?!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by brejohnson88, Jul 18, 2010.

1. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 18, 2010

Hello!!!
    I am a first year teacher (pre-k). I just thought I would ask all of you kinder teachers what you would like your kids to know when they walk in your room out of a pre-k program. Anything will help. Thanks :)

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 18, 2010

I'm more concerned with behavior at the beginning of the year. If the children understood what it meant to be part of a classroom community, how to problem-solve, and basic "school behaviors" (raising their hand, lining up quietly, not playing around in the bathroom), I would be a happy camper! I don't expect them to be perfect, but to have some knowledge and understanding in this area would be fantastic.

As for academics, it would be very helpful if they knew the basics: how to write their name with only the first letter capital, how to cut, how to use a glue stick, crayons aren't for writing on tables and walls, etc.

For everything else, I think exposure is important: exposing them to shapes and attributes, sorting, counting, number recognition, letters and sounds, concepts of print, rhyming, making predictions, etc. I wouldn't expect them to be experts, but if they were just exposed to and developing these skills that would be nice!

4. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jul 18, 2010

I agree with everything that DrivingPigeon said, I would also be happy if they could follow or know about the school routine of things, like walking not running in school, quiet in the hall, and what it is to be a friend.

I would also like the kids to be able to hold the scissors and pencil correctly. Last year I had several that didn't know how to use scissors. They were using both hands.

5. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jul 18, 2010

Hey I just remember I have a letter we send out to the Preschool parents at the end of the year telling parents what we expect of students coming into Kindergarten. I will PM it to you. It is on my computer at school, so it may be a couple of days.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 18, 2010

Oooooo I forgot about pencil grip, which is VERY important. Those habits are so hard to break that we sometimes need OT intervention in kindergarten.

7. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jul 18, 2010

Scissors and pencil grip would be great! How to properly use glue would be nice too.

The biggest things though would be behavior - how to share, some problem solving skills (say what you need nicely), please and thank you, washing hands independently with soap, using a tissue, tying shoes, zipping jackets, and putting on mittens or gloves.

Academically, it would be nice if they knew the letters in their name, enjoyed listening to and looking at books, sit in a group for 10 minutes, play nicely with others in the classroom and on the playground.

8. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 18, 2010

Thanks for your help :)

9. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 19, 2010

You can also look at your state standards for pre-k to see what they should be learning, if your state doesn't have any you can see the state standards for TX pre-k here.

10. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Jul 19, 2010

All the above! Especially the pencil grip thing which is so hard to change! If you get that down, it would be nice if they could TIE THEIR SHOES!!! Then it would be nice if they knew the alphabet song, color and shape names, some songs/rhymes, could count to ten, pick up after themselves, zip their zippers, blow their noses, wash their hands... we don't ask much, do we? :D

11. duribe100

duribe100 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

Penmanship

I am concerned with their handwriting skills. Did they master basic skills previously? If not you gotta start from the beginning. This year in my school in Southern California all the 1st grade level decided to use Fonts4Teachers for those students not at grade level:love: