What do I wear?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KPederson, May 15, 2016.

1. KPederson

KPederson Guest

May 15, 2016

I'm currently student teaching and have to attend the beach field trip with my 6th graders. I am wondering what would be appropriate to wear to the beach?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 15, 2016

Ask your host teacher to be sure. I would wear bermuda-length shorts or capris and a t-shirt or a tank with wide shoulder straps.

Caesar753 and Kat53 like this.
  4. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 15, 2016

I would wear what is comfortable in the summer (but fully clothed). I wouldn't wear swimwear or short shorts. Sundress, capris, tshirt, flip flops,..

otterpop likes this.
  5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

May 15, 2016

Personally, I'd wear a sundress, flip flops, sunglasses, and a big hat.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 16, 2016

I would take the flip flops with me but not wear them until i got to the beach.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 16, 2016

If you opt for a sundress, be sure that it is lined or that you wear shorts underneath.

8. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

May 16, 2016

^ Actually even if I'm not going to the beach, I still wear shorts underneath dresses & skirts, even pencil skirts and maxi skirts. It's a habit I've developed from when I used to work in daycare with toddlers & was always on the floor. Even when I'm not at work, I STILL wear shorts underneath!
    Why don't I just wear pants, you say? Well I hate pants :) Soffe shorts & biker shorts are way more comfy

9. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

May 16, 2016

I would wear one of these:
    1. a midi or maxi dress with bike shorts underneath
    2. a tee with short or 3/4 sleeves paired with walking or Bermuda shorts. Instead of shorts, maybe you can wear a casual skirt with bike shorts underneath
    3. a tee with a skort

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 16, 2016

I'm not understanding shorts under dresses and skirts?

For a beach field trip, you should be good with nice capris and a short sleeved top.

11. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

May 16, 2016

It's not uncommon to wear Spanx or another brand of shorts under dresses and skirts. Some dress and skirt fabrics are kind of thin, so wearing a pair of Spanx-type shorts will help to ensure that no one can see through your clothing. For me, these type of shorts are more comfortable than wearing a slip. Preschool and kindergarten teachers are often on the floor with the children, so wearing shorts will help to avoid awkwardness.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 17, 2016

Got it! I wasn't thinking of Spanx as shorts....I don't wear them.I have a colleague who wears them and she's constantly grabbing them thru her clothes and readjusting! I'd think an extra layer while on the beach could be hot and uncomfortable.
    As far as sitting on the carpet, I'm grade 3 and end up on the carpet with kids most days-I've perfected my sitting with a dress or short skirt! ;)

Backroads likes this.
  13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 17, 2016

I'm voting for the capris and whatever top the weather allows. In NJ, for instance, I would be wearing a 3/4 sleeve top with a sweater, but we have had a cool spring. Sneakers work better than sandals. Since our school dress code does not allow flip-flops, I would go with a shoe with a back to it. Truth be told, you never know when you might be forced to run, and you don't want to run in flip flops.

14. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 17, 2016

I'd end up doing jeans, t-shirt (perhaps with button-up shirt untucked on top)...but that's just me and my never wearing shorts, and the fact that I'm a guy (hence the capris and sundress may not bode as well... :p).

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 17, 2016

Could be entertaining, though!

mathmagic likes this.
  16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 17, 2016

I wear bike shorts under my fuller skirts. Wind and children are both unpredictable!

17. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 17, 2016

Personally, I'd probably plan on not going in the water at all, except for maybe walking right along the shore. As a field trip, you'd be one of the people in charge of watching the students, so it wouldn't be a time to get in the water beyond being perhaps ankle-deep (to see something with students, perhaps), except in an emergency.

Backroads likes this.
  18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 18, 2016

We have a pool day once a year so If i'm going in the water I always wear a bathing suit with a tshirt and shorts. Even if it's a fun day I want to be covered as much as possible.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 18, 2016

How often are you outside on a school day? Unless it's a fire drill I'm not outside other than going to and from my car! I've taught K, 2 and 3. No kid has ever been unpredictable enough as to have me worry about my skirt length or the need to wear some sort of shorts under my clothing. Even with kids sitting on the carpet and me standing snd teaching, I'm aware enough to not expose anything unnecessarily. And let's just say my undergarments are not granny panties either. LOL.

The beach is too darn hot to wear so many layers. Go sundress of enough length to not worry. Or capris and top. Bring plenty of water and a hat. Don't forget your sunscreen. :)

20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 18, 2016

I'm outside three times a day. I've had enough close calls even inside. Our rooms are far smaller than those I see in blogs and in photos on this site so kids have bumped into me, and have caught my skirt with their hands, feet, pencils, and even a shoe while walking by. My fuller skirts tend to be longer so it's easier to get the fabric caught.

Today, I took my umbrella outside for recess to shade me from the sun and I had to hold it with two hands so the gusts of wind didn't blow it away. Thankfully, it was a pants day and I didn't have to have a hand free to catch my dress from doing a Monroe.

21. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 18, 2016

For a water park trip a few years ago, I bought swim shorts and a full coverage swim top. It wasn't something I'd have picked out normally, but I felt more comfortable with more skin covered on a school trip. Almost every teacher on that trip had the skirt or short type suit on so it wasn't just me feeling that way!

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 19, 2016

Also, I would never wear flip flops while working with students. No matter what the setting. They are just not appropriate to me. A sturdier sandal would be a better option.