What do I wear on teacher inservice days?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by rookieABC123, Aug 15, 2007.

1. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

This may sound stupid, however I honestly don't know. I am starting as a Long term sub in the fall and I have to be there for the school's inservice days before school starts. I will meet the teacher I will be subbing for and attend district meetings and training sessions. I wasn't sure if I should dress up or wear something casual/semi-dressy, or do teachers go in jeans? Any advice would help, I don't want to look like an outcast. Thanks.

3. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

Does any of your information let you know? When I got my new hire packet it specifically said "professional" dress for in-service days. If nothing you have lists appropriate dress, I would contact HR and ask what is appropriate attire. Also, if you are an LTS it might be better to go dressed more professionally since you could use in-service days to network and meet principals and admins. Good luck!

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 15, 2007

I would err on the side of caution and dress business or business casual. I would avoid jeans and/or capris on the first day unless you are told for sure that it would be all right.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2007

NOT JEANS!!

A sundress with cardigan sweater tied at shoulders or skirt with knit sleeveless shell? (I'm thinking it's still warm!!)

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2007

I would also say to err on the side of professional. At my school most people wear school shirts and jeans, but unless you can ask someone, you don't want to show up under dressed. However, you might feel silly if you are in a suit and no one else is. i would also suggest the sun dress with a sweater because it could be casual or dressy. But you might want to think about throwing some jeans in your bag - if you are putting up posters and bulletins boards in your room for part of the day, you dont want to be wearing a dress.

7. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 15, 2007

When I was a LTS a lot of teachers wore khakis and a nice shirt to the In-service Days. Some wore jeans, but they had been with the district for a long time.

8. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 15, 2007

I have a similar question...

I'm going to be a long term sub this September. I've already met the teacher I am taking over for, and have seen the classroom. I have not, however, met the rest of the staff or the principal yet.

On August 20th (and on), they are opening the school so teachers can work on preparing their rooms. I am looking forward to going in to clean, go through the materials, and set up. However, this will be the first time I am meeting everyone. It's unbelievably hot in the school (no air conditioning)... and it would be most practical to dress casually (it's hot and dusty). But I want to make a good impression... what should I do??? What do I wear???

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2007

I say if you're going into the school to clean the room, I wear old sneakers, jeans and a tee-shirt. Nothing with holes or anything, but when cleaning the classroom, I'm prepared to be dirty.
    For PD days, it is better to be a little dressy. We have to wear "professional" clothes for our first day- then after that it is more casual.

10. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 15, 2007

Meetings, training, orientation: business casual (summery dress, skirt, etc.)
    Cleaning, setting up, and organizing your room: comfy (shorts, jeans, etc.... just very clean & presentable ones!)

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 15, 2007

I plan to wear docker style slacks and a business casual button up shirt. Sneakers aren't permitted at our school so I won't wear them. Neither are jeans except on specific days. I can get away with wearing them on bulletin board/class clean up days, but not on PD days. I don't dress up too much though.

12. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

Thanks a lot--this really helps!!

13. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Aug 16, 2007

Dress professional for this one and se what others are wearing.

For my school/district, inservice is VERY casual.

Plus, there is no way I'm dressing professional for workdays prior to shcool when it's over 100 degrees outside.

14. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 16, 2007

Call the unit office and ask-it is a legitimate question!

15. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2007

I didn't know either, but decided that I wouldn't wear jeans or jean capris, just in case. I looked around yesterday and no one had jeans on.
    Just pants, skirts, capris, but in different materials. Most had sandals, tho, and casual/dressy tops, but not t-shirts!

16. SpecialTeacher

SpecialTeacher Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

I work with severely disabled kids and the dress code there is pretty casual (jeans and tee shirts are totally fine, especially for aides but for teachers too to a lesser extent). We all wear clothes that allow us to move freely (in case of runners and because of all the lifting of wheelchair kids) and not freak out if food/bodily fluids get on it. In fact, I think I'd look sideways at someone who was dressed really dressy because, to me, that seems like they aren't prepared for the job. It all depends on your needs.