What do I say? Turning down interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachCafe, Apr 10, 2015.

1. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Apr 10, 2015

I applied to a neighboring district for a 3rd grade position and I know they had a few sped positions open. I left my phone home today so when I come how I have an interview offer for Tuesday or Wednesday next week and they principal also mentioned the sped positions.

This is my worst fear come to life and I just know any thought of me being considered for that 3rd grade position is out the window. I picked the school due to distance and just put it out there knowing there was a 1 life skills, 1 PPCD and 2 resource/ICS positions open.

I feel like if I say "hello I'm available X day but I don't want to be considered for the sped positions" I'm wasting my time. For her to even mention them when I didn't apply tells me she's really just looking at me for that?

I don't want to leave it hanging but telling the truth that I only want to be interviewed for what I applied for is hard.

I mean it's not like she's saying "we have a kinder position as well or 2nd or 5th" I'd say YES! for a different grade level but that's like applying for an art position and being told they want to consider you for the music position.

Apples to tomatoes :dizzy:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2015

Go on the interview and express your preference for the grade3 position. You can always turn it dwn if the offer you an unwanted sped position after the interview.

I'm assuming you are sped certified? You do know a school can move you once hired into new grade levels, sped positions for which you are qualified without your okay...

4. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Apr 10, 2015

I don't think you should turn down the interview. You are not guaranteed a job so it would be good to get more interview experience. There is nothing wrong with Special Ed. With how tough it is to get Elementary Ed. positions, I see more and more people going into a Special Ed. position first and transferring to regular ed. when there are internal hirings. If you get the job, it would be good experience for you....and it's a full-time job!

5. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Apr 10, 2015

This is true -- but some people are better suited for SpEd than others. I would never apply for a sped position personally because I know I don't have the temperament for it and I would be a TERRIBLE sped teacher. There's nothing wrong with the job or the position, but it's possible that TeachCafe feels as I do -- that it just would not be a good fit and isn't a desirable position for that reason.

That being said, I wouldn't turn down the interview. You can express interest in the 3rd grade position in the interview, and on the chance they do offer you a sped position you can decline if you choose. I'd rather turn down a firm offer I don't want than lose a whole interview that could lead to a desirable position.

6. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Apr 10, 2015

Sadly if you have a sped cert (and have experience) and apply to gen ed jobs they are going to want to interview you for sped as well since those jobs are harder to fill.

If you are looking to switch into gen ed, I would indicate that in your cover letter with reasoning as to why.

I would still go to the interview, you never know what may come of it.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2015

I don't think you should turn down the interview.

I recently interviewed for my dream position. During the interview, the panel commented on the other certifications I have and asked if I'd be willing to teach any of those. I was truthful and said that I would be willing to teach A and B but not C or D. I knew that it was a risk to say so in the interview, but for me the truth is always best. I wouldn't have been happy in a C or D position (I honestly wouldn't have even accepted a position in C or D), and that wasn't why I put my name in for this particular job. If they didn't like that and if that made them select someone else, so be it. I made it clear in my interview that these are all the things I can bring to the table, this is who I am, and this is what I do, so take me or leave me. I think that they appreciated my straightforward approach. They ended up offering me the job I was after.

Go on the interview. Make it clear that you're after the general ed position and would consider other grades as long as they are gen ed but that you won't consider any special ed positions. If they don't like that, oh well. In that case, just look at it as another opportunity to gain valuable interview experience.

8. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Apr 11, 2015

I agree and SPED was where my heart was at before I came to a district. I've done SPED for 3 years and now I'm done. At least for now at a formal school level.

Yes it's my first year in a district but it's been enough of a nightmare I'm just waiting and contemplating not renewing that SPED certification so they cannot move me into a sped position unless I take the test again or get recertified and if I want to I'll do that.

Small private schools were great but the money was horrible. I like formal teaching and want to do general ed because there's so much more movement and I'd love having different kids every year.

I'm doing an internal transfer and haven't heard anything yet, my principal already told me she wants to keep me where I am and I've expressed I want to stay at our school but not SPED and she's not to happy about that so other districts I go a looking.

I just don't think public school SPED is for me for a number of reasons.