What Do I say on interviews why I "left" my current job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CreativeTeachR, Jun 2, 2014.

1. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jun 2, 2014

So I was not renewed for next school year and forced to resign :( I have had three interviews since and have been struggling of what to say to prospective employers? I don't want them to know I did not get renewed and my union rep said to make it as though it was my decision to leave. But what do I say? I have been saying I want more support which is very true because I had none all year. What else could I say that will not sound like I am bashing my current placement? :unsure:

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 2, 2014

"It wasn't a good fit." That seems to be a good, non-declarative statement that works in almost any case.

4. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jun 2, 2014

Thank you :)

5. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jun 3, 2014

You actually have been asked that? I never have been asked that question, and now it has been so many years since I was illegally dumped I don't think I ever have to worry about it. If it ever did come up, I'd say it was illness-related, which is the truth.

You never say you were "dismissed" or "non-renewed" or forced to resign since all of those are firings. I wouldn't even say, "It wasn't a good fit." That basically says you were fired. I'd just say I pursued other opportunities and that the job ended. You never, ever go into details. Just keep it short and sweet and move on.

6. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 4, 2014

Yes, that is a common question. Where do you live, TonySam? Your responses to posts completely puzzle me, since they are nothing like my job hunting experiences.

7. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 4, 2014

Disagree. I wouldn't say anything negative. That statement might make potential employers think you're hard to get along with.

I'd go with something tailored to the school you're applying to. Is it larger? Say you want to pursue an opportunity at a larger school. Smaller? Say you want to work at a smaller school.

8. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 4, 2014

When asked why I left a school where I only worked for one year, I say that "the school and I had different visions and philosophies for the direction of the program." When asked to elaborate, I describe the particulars.

Apparently my reference from that school says pretty much the same thing when asked about me.