What do I need!!!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Teaching Grace, May 20, 2007.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 20, 2007

I'm starting to buy supplies for my brand-new 3rd grade room! What are some things that I need to buy myself? I don't know what I'll be provided with in the fall so, anything goes! I already have a couple of pocket charts and some basic supplies like post-its galore, paper clips, pens, pencils and things like that. Any advice on what else I should be looking for would be great. Thank you!!

3. Pigger

Pigger Companion

May 20, 2007

I've been teaching third grade for four years.
    Be smart in your supply list that you send home to families. Depending on your families, don't ask for too much. This year, I went to community pencils because I was tied of no one having any pencils come January. I think they brought 36 in September and I will just have enough. I put out 24 each Monday. The problem is getting them sharpened....I can't stand listening to the pencil sharpner, I have a please sharpen can, and a sharpened can.....
    Anyways, A-M bring in gallon size baggies, and N-Z brings in wet-whipes. A smart move that I learned a few years ago.
    Once you start your Scholastic book orders, start building your library. It will grow quickly, but it's important.
    I buy folders at WalMart to use for guided reading. This way, I can have one group all have the same color folder....until, I start moving people around.
    This year I bought a small whiteboard to use at the carpet. I hated not having anything to show examples on while we were at the carpet. It made my mini-lessons less effective.
    I always have a few extra supplies, for the kid that comes in with nothing. Folders, notebooks, etc. Keep looking around, you need everything! Once, you figure out what the classroom has, it will be easier. Good luck.

4. patti2

patti2 Cohort

May 20, 2007

Congrats on the job! I teach second grade, but here are few things that I cannot live without!

If your school doesn't provide little white boards for everyone, you can get a huge sheet at Lowe's or Menards and have them cut them down to size. It was around $10 for 24! I have the kids bring in dry erase markers and old socks. I use the dry erase boards for math and spelling practice, etc. If you do this....another tip. I tell the kids that they are toys for about a minute and let them draw. After that, they are TOOLS and may only be used for what we are doing. Anyone caught drawing gets paper and pencil;)

STORAGE BINS! STORAG BINS! STORAGE BINS!

folders for every reading story and unit INSIDE color coded hanging files

three ring binders with plastic sleeves

word wall words/vocab words to post

activities for children who finish early-get idea books! I use them a lot-also check around the school-they usually have a good stash of them!

5. ajd5160

ajd5160 Rookie

May 20, 2007

I disagree with having students bring in too much. I teach inner city- and like many schools- supplies are low. DO NOT get caught up in spending every dollar you make to supply your classroom. It is not fair to you.

Community supplies work well. Create a supply list and make sure to let the parents know that it the supplies provided will be for the classroom "pool" to be used throughout the year. Some things to ask for?

gluesticks
    lined paper
    pencils
    red pens (peer editing/checking)
    copy paper (if I don't ask for it, I have to provide my own)

Wal-Mart is the best place to grab supplies at the beginning of the year. Crayons and Markers are around 10 to 20 cents, folder 10 cents, lined paper 10 cents, etc. It's the BEST.

My best advice, set a budget! Keep each receipt and maybe even a spreadsheet justifying your budget. If not, it is TOO easy to spend thousands, and I am not exaggerating.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 20, 2007

Are you a new teacher to this school?

I ask because everyone assumes you have control over the school supply list. Also the office/school tends to supply some stuff so it's hard to know without knowing all of that.

7. Teaching Grace

May 21, 2007

Yes. I am a new teacher at the school. I'm a new teacher period. So I don't know what's going to be put on the supply lists or anything.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 21, 2007

Go on our school website and you could see the supply list from last year. You will be provided with nothing to decorate your classroom (a number line may come with your math curriculum). I would wait until the big sales during the summer before purchasing office type supplies. Staples has really great deals. Last year we got $100 from the governer before school started and you could buy anything school related with it. I believe you get $200 from the county to buy supplies including money your grade level will get for math or science materials but what you get will usually be determined as a grade level. You could contact Jane (or her replacement) over the summer to borrow the schools' Visa card. Unless you hit a really big sale on things like binders, the county's binders are pretty cheap.

9. Teaching Grace

May 22, 2007

Thanks Proud! I'm so excited about this fall but I'm feeling a little bit left out from the loop. I guess most new teachers do! I'll check out last years list right not. I went yesterday shopping. I found a good number of things such as packs of construction paper for $1.50, posters for my wall $1.50, and other bulletin board decorations kits. I only really want to find a couple more things like a timer, a cursive alphabet with pictures. Then I want to focus on the more basic things like paper, pencils, crayons, and things like that. But I'll get those sort of things when the sales come around.
    Proud, do you know if I can just spend my money and then get a check from them? I'm still waiting to hear whether I'll get a trailer or a classroom. I sent an e-mail to Trish but I haven't heard back from her yet.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 22, 2007

Unfortunately, you have to use the school credit card. They do not reimburse (county bureaucracy). You could go in over the summer and borrow it though. They don't lend it out over the weekend. Give the principal a call and ask him if he knows about the trailer vs. the classroom, Trish probably won't know unless she asks him directly.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 22, 2007

Some classrooms do come stocked if they have been vacated by previous teachers. It's hard to guess. Darn it.

12. Teaching Grace

May 22, 2007

Thanks Proud! Trish said that they'd know by the end of school, which is tomorrow! Yay for you!! I may give him a call. I'd love to be able to know where I'm going to be and when I can start bringing stuff in. But I think he'll probably want me to wait until my official contract is signed even though I already signed my letter of intent.

13. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

May 22, 2007

stickers, lots of stickers

Buy them cheap at the Dollar Store.

Stop at every garage sale and buy cheap books for your classroom library.

A good pink gel pen to grade papers. A good pair of scissors that fit your hand to be used only by you. Tissue. Personal items, toothpaste, hair brush, deodorant, and etc

14. goopp

goopp Devotee

May 23, 2007

I don't know what county you are in, but spending $1.50 for construction paper may be spending way too much. You should be able to order supplies with your $200 once school starts, and you'll find that going through an approved vendor is MUCH cheaper. I'm in Cobb and I think the construction paper I ordered was $.68 cents each. Plus, there is no tax on the items ordered through the school. Our vendors deliver supplies within a day or so, so if you order during pre-planning, you'll have everything before the kids get there.

In the fall when Staples has $.01 items, get your family and friends to help you stock up on boxes of pencils, crayons, folders, notebook paper, markers, glue sticks, individual pencil sharpeners, etc.

Use your money to buy books (used), posters, personal stuff, etc. I know how much you want to go buy "teaching stuff", I did the same thing last year when I found out I would be teaching, but believe me, don't spend all your money until you actually get in there and find out exactly what you need.

15. Teaching Grace

May 23, 2007

I just went to Barnes and Noble and found a bunch of great books cheap. I went to Gainesville the other day and went to Office Pro and Pierce whole-sale. I found lots of stuff for cheap. I feel better with having some supplies and more bulletin board supplies and decorations :)

16. MissBee06

MissBee06 Rookie

May 23, 2007

I went through the same thing last year! The one thing that I wish I could do over was the $200. I would have spent it on the consumable supplies, the paper, folders, extra pencils, etc. All of the classroom stuff like decorations will have to stay with the school when I leave.

17. Teaching Grace

May 23, 2007

I've used my own money on my decorations, so those will come with me. I'm going to use that $200 on the consumables that will be on sale during the end of july and beginning of august.

18. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

May 23, 2007

what county are you getting $200 a year in? I want to work there! I get only $50!

19. Teaching Grace

May 23, 2007

Gwinnett :) Same place that a 1st year teacher starts at $37,500 :)

20. goopp

goopp Devotee

May 23, 2007

I get $200 in Cobb, plus another $50 from the PTA once school starts. And I started this year at $37,160, so the salary is pretty close.

21. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

May 24, 2007

Some things will be in your room. Some things the school will supply. Ask the secretaries.

. List of things to have in your room have you thought of: yard stick, ruler, lots of extra pencils, lots of stickers, whistle so you don’t have to yell at recess, a must --bar stool to rest your feet, great to even lean up against or captain’s chair it has a back, but cost more, rubber bands, safety pins, sewing kit –needle and variety of color spools of thread –a dollar at dollar store in a small plastic box, 3 hole punch, single hole punch, stapler, a couple big boxes of Kleenex, paper towels, battery operated fan-style air fresheners, sticky notes, a bunch of extra pencils, (short pencils with no erasers work great (students don’t want to borrow them and for some reason don’t break their lead and remember to sharpen their pencils before class), magic markers with grey included several boxes, good gel pen for grading papers and writing notes, I like my pink, zip lock bags –large and small, masking tape, scotch tape and heavy dispenser, deodorant, brush or comb for yourself, clear finger nail polish for quick fix hose runs, nail file for broken nails, large paper clip for your use so much better than the small ones, disinfectant (clean desk tops, pencils and door knobs –keep your room as germ free as possible, rubber gloves, Bloodborne pathogens are very real!! big scissors to fit your hand, erasers for top of pencils boom box, tape recorder, CD something to play music and etc on. digital timer, Glue: buy one small glue bottle for each student, than when bottle gets used, refill from your big bottle, which is cheaper, buy during beginning of school sales. Little bottles work better with little hands. Glue sticks are best. But cost more. Mavalus tape . Calendar, camera, dictionary – thesaurus, extension cord and adapter. Slide-grader. Umbrella. A couple fresh green plants. Go to garage sales, flea markets, Good Will, Salvation Army and thrift shops and buy books for in your room. If there is a box ask how much for the whole box usually cheaper. Tell them it is for a classroom, usually give you a discount. Buy a stamp pad and stamp “Property of your name” stamp on first page and along the edge if possible and several other places. Need book shelves. Buy used book shelf size of your file cabinet, butt it up against one side of the cabinet and use other side for a magnet board center.
    File folders –one for each student, keep all notes to and from home, note late papers, lose of recess one minute or two because of behavior problems and etc. Information Sheet. Student’s full name. What student will be called in the classroom, address, phone number, father’s name, address, phone number, mother’s name, address, phone number, emergency phone number, allergies, food and etc. And any other information that I might like to know about your child. A can of play dough for each student for the first day. Students go to their desk and start working with the play dough, while you are greeting more students, makes your room busy and under control from the first moment of arrival, no running around. Stamp pad and stamp with your name on it. Mark everything that you buy. Mark books back and along the edge. Library books for your room --get at garage sales, thrift shops, Goodwill and ask parents at parent night when they clean out their children’s rooms you’d love to have their extra books. You will mark donated by: Your room will look more educational with books on the shelves. Here is an excellent web page, you might want to check out for more ideas.

22. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

May 24, 2007

i'm in gwinnett too!

I still don't understand how i only have $50 to spend at my school. Something isn't right!:eek:

23. ajd5160

ajd5160 Rookie

May 25, 2007

I would think about procedures too and what you might need to keep your plan. For instance, my first year, I started filing in manilla folders in a filing drawer. A file for the nurses forms, days off forms, discipline forms... etc. It was a MESS. I have binders now. A binder of FORMS, a binder for REFERRALS (special education, attendances, etc), a binder for DISCIPLINE, etc. They fit on my shelf and are way less messy!!

The Staples Apprentice (from a few years ago) desk organizer is a life saver. That thing holds everything: files- markers, pens, my attendance book.... EVERYTHING.

Different sized/brands of plastic containers can be a pain. Find a brand you like and stick with it. If not, they don't stack very well.