What do I need?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Memom2, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Memom2

Memom2 Rookie

Apr 9, 2011

After reading through some of the post, I have come to realize that I have no idea what to take to a job interview. My college never said anything about portfolios, pictures, or samples of student work. What should my portfolio include, what types of pictures, and student work is appropriate. I am currently teaching 4th grade (for 3 more weeks) filling in for a maternity leave, so I still have time to get things in order using this class. Thank you for any help.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2011

I would take pictures of students working on different projects, students working during guided reading, student participation, pictures of assessments or lessons that you created, pictures of your classroom management system, etc.

I try to have a picture of something to go along with the questions that I expect to be asked. This way, when they interviewers ask a question, I have some type of evidence to share with them.

4. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Apr 9, 2011

At my college, we organize our portfolios according to the INTASC Standards or The Interstate Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium. Each of the 10 standards has its own tab and I provided pictures and other information from student teaching to support each standard. Just google INTASC Standards and the first few links will help you out.

5. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Apr 10, 2011

I agree with including items that can help you answer some standard questions. That is a way to make your answers stand out amongst the other candidates who will probably have similar answers as well!

6. Memom2

Memom2 Rookie

Apr 10, 2011

Thank you all. This information helps a lot.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2011

Some other great tips I've learned....

1) Use colored paper/tabs/etc for different areas (assessment, parent communication, etc)

2) Buy tabs that are more like folders. These stick out over the edges of page protectors and hold all the little manipulatives.

3) Make a colorful cover so it is easy to find and looks nice.

4) Make a page protector or folder like tab with multiple copies of resume, transcript, letters of recommendation, etc.

8. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 10, 2011

I've never been asked or needed a portfolio.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2011

Our hiring committee doesn't require or ask for portfolios, but they do provide another layer in our view of candidates. Make sure you have permission to take photos of students if you are including such in your portfolio. We also prefer that student names are whited out on work samples, that work samples are from materials created by the candidate....

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 10, 2011

While I've never been on a hiring committee that's required or even suggested candidates bring portfolios, the few candidates that have been able to answer questions with some answer, plus "for example, these pictures show..." or "here's and example of a parent letter..." and things of that nature have definitely stood out in the crowd.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 10, 2011

The student work should be examples of higher level thinking or strategies that you are saying you use in the classroom to get results. A portfolio is great to show visually a candidate's experience. But we have not hired people because of what was in their portfolio as well. We had a 2nd Grade candidate whose writing samples were the same-they had just been copied off the board-not an example of what we look for in writing instruction.

Mopar gave great advice on what to include. I would also add you could have plans to show how you would differentiate a particular lesson-for GT/special ed/esl students or ideas you may have for a student club to start on campus. Something as others have said to add to your verbal answers.

12. Memom2

Memom2 Rookie

Apr 10, 2011

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I do have permission to take pictures, but at the same time, I will try to take them from an angle that does not identify the child. We have our standardized testing next week, but that will give me a chance to come up with some things for the last two weeks.