What do I need to teach 1st?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by ITeach1, Jul 27, 2008.

1. ITeach1

ITeach1 New Member

Jul 27, 2008

I am going to be a first grade teacher this year! Last year I taught kindergarten. I will be moving to a new school system this year so I am unable to take a majority of my teaching materials with me. I am needing a few suggestions of some things I will really need in my first grade classroom. I really want to use the school money wisely. What are some things you have in your classroom that have been useful in teaching first grade?

3. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I use A LOT of math manipulatives (unifix cubes, base 10 blocks, money, geoboards, counters, clocks, scales, pattern blocks, etc). I love the Dr. Jean cd's. Calendar time is very important with a place value pocket chart. Use the word wall quite a bit. Hmmm...I might think of more when I don't have to think about (just let it come to me).

4. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

Do you know what is already in the room?

5. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

I agree with c4pebbles. You'll need a lot of math manipulatives. If you want to save on the money, remember you can make a lot of things as well, such as the behavior chart, rules, jobs chart, word wall, calendar, center activities, etc. Hopefully, you'll have a good enough set of library books in your classroom already.

6. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

books and tubs for them!

7. ITeach1

ITeach1 New Member

Jul 28, 2008

I have a good amount of children's books. Some I bought over the past couple years and some left in the classroom. I am excited to have white boards! I had chalk boards last year. I am good on basic furniture. I will probably have to make some things to cut costs. I will probably use most of the money on manipulatives for the kids.

8. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

Do you have individual whiteboards for the kids? I use them a lot. To save money, a lot of people have them cut at Lowes or Home Depot.