What do I need to do?!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CDOR79, Aug 18, 2017.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Aug 18, 2017

I am a certified k-5 elementary teacher (been teaching Third for 6 years now) and I just got my special ed cert, in hopes it would make me more marketable and open up opportunities to find a new job. I LOVE my job now (in a Catholic school) but am looking to get into a public school system for more money and stability.

I have been looking for the past 4 years and have gotten SOME interviews but nothing else. I definitely thought I'd have luck this summer, as I just completed my special ed cert and now had that under my belt.

Any words of advice on what I need to do to help me make this move? Do I need specialization in ANOTHER area? Subject? More experience? Don't get it it!

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 18, 2017

It is definitely tough. I took my first job in a district I knew I would not work in for my whole teaching career but it was the only offer I got and I knew it wouldn't be a job I'd hate, just not my "forever" district. It took me six years to get a job in a new district. I job hunted every single summer after my second year in my original district. During that time I added on three certifications, though the job I eventually got was actually in my original certified area. It's tough but you just need to keep trying. Two of my former coworkers left the same district after working there for 9 years and 12 years. They hadn't been actively looking every single summer, but definitely for several of them.

So, no, I do not have any specific advice, but do know that what you are going through is perfectly normal. I know that doesn't make it any less frustrating, but if you're in a tough market that's just how it is. I was interviewed by and rejected by at least 7 different districts. Two interviewed me two different summers for different positions and rejected me both times. I joked with my husband I'd eventually run out of districts to apply to as all of them within a reasonable drive would have interviewed and rejected me eventually. All those summers of applying (and updated my clearances every single year) were annoying but it finally paid off with a new job. Hang in there and keep trying, and hopefully you can take some comfort in the fact that you have a job you like, even if it's not one you plan to stay at for forever.

Rainbowbird likes this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 18, 2017

I will give you the same suggestion I make for every person who has struggled for a very long time to get a new job without success. Revisit your resume, because it may be poorly written or awkward. Additionally, terms and phrasing changes, and if your resume hasn't been updated, it will come across as stale. If you updated your skills, make sure that your resume does that investment in time and effort justice.

If in doubt, many members are able to help if you are DIY. I am always honest in disclosing that I have mine written by professional writers because they know what employers are looking for, and I can tweak their efforts until it sounds and feels like me. I have my resume updated every couple of years, or when I have earned more degrees or certificates. You get less than a minute to impress potential employers with the cover letter and resume. Don't squander the opportunity.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Rainbowbird likes this.
  5. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Aug 19, 2017

Thank you both for the reply and the words of encouragement! I know it's something that takes time and soooo many people are in the same boat! It just gets frustrating but you're right- I am lucky that I am HAPPY where I am right now.

Vicki- you bring up a good point. I should have someone revise my resume and cover letter. Perhaps that's playing more of a role than I realize. It'll be something I'll look before my next round of searches!

Thanks again! :)

6. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 19, 2017

I think you will get something! I see lots of job openings for Spec Ed.

7. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 20, 2017