What do I need to do first?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ms.irene, Aug 5, 2015.

1. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2015

I don't know why, but I am feeling really overwhelmed and procrastinating on getting ready for this year. I can't do anything in my classroom since we are getting all new furniture, so I can't work on room setup or decoration. I need help getting myself going mentally without being in my room! I will be teaching one class that I have taught before and one that will be totally new curriculum for me (senior English -- starting from scratch).

Here is what I've done so far:
    * updated class policies
    * revised first-day procedures presentation
    * updated website
    * looked at first-day plans and started thinking about how to adapt

What else do I need to do now, other than make sure I have enough desks?! :lol:

3. jw12

jw12 Rookie

Aug 5, 2015

I, too, will be teaching a new curriculum (well, sorta new). I was feeling pretty overwhelmed by it all earlier this summer. What I did was map out the first couple of weeks of the new class... nothing in stone, but good basic lesson plans.

It sounds like you're ready to roll for the first couple of days, so maybe start planning the next week or so.

4. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Aug 6, 2015

I would plan for the whole quarter (ideally plan for the year). What do you want the students to accomplish? I usually do 1 or 2 big projects per quarter that cover several standard/benchmarks. Once I know the outcomes, I plan the lessons. Have fun!

5. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2015

Thanks for the responses! I forgot to mention that I have mapped out my standards and chosen my novels for each unit. I was on a roll earlier in the summer and then I lost momentum when my assignment got switched up. I'm going to meet with my new partner teacher (Econ/Gov) so hopefully that will get my planning brain back in order!