What do I need for Back to School?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by abequette, Jul 23, 2007.

1. abequette

abequette Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

Okay I am a brand new teacher, and I haven't even seen my classroom yet, so I also don't really know what all school supplies that students will be supplying. However with all of that being said can anyone give me like a basic list of what all I might need/want to buy as a first year teacher, and please describe the purpose for some of the items if it is not obvious. I really just have no idea what all I should be buying. The principal said I will have $550 for my classroom, but I don't know what all I should get, and should I save part of that for later in the year? Please help I feel so lost and clueless.

3. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

What grade/subject will you be teaching? Will there be other teachers in your grade group?
    You might look online or at your local Walmart to see if they have the lists of schools supplies your school and grade have asked the kids to bring in (Our local Walmart has lists for ALL of the area schools).
    Even though the kids will be bringing pencils, you will want at least a couple of them already sharpened, ready for each kid on the 1st day.
    As soon as possible, go to the library/media center for your school to see what is available to check out. They may have Cd/cassette players, VCRs, overheads...who knows?
    If you are teaching early elem, you will want name tags (desk plates) for the desks. Go to the local 'teacher store' if there is one. They may be able to offer some advice. Also, our local store will let you put things on hold until you can get your school purchase order! Hmmm..I need to get over there!
    Give us some more specifics about what you will be doing and I know there will be lots of great ideas!

Oh and...as to whether you should save some $ for later. You might save some..if you can..for a LITTLE bit, but I'd get it spent in the 1st couple months. Sometimes money you think you have available tends to just disappear.

4. abequette

abequette Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

Well I am moving to Idaho for this job, haven't moved yet but I will definitely check out wal-mart online, that's a great idea. I will be teaching 2nd grade, sorry I thought I put that, but I get sidetrack sometimes. Let me know if you need any more info...

5. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Jul 23, 2007

Some basics things you will need for yourself include:
    -Stapler
    -Staples
    -Tape
    -Scissors
    -Hole punch
    -Paper clips
    -Lesson Plan Book
    -Attendance/Grade Book
    -Tacs
    -Folders
    -Bulletin Board borders and paper
    -Pens/Pencils
    -Index cards
    -A Substitute teacher folder
    -A tablet specifically used for notes home
    -Chalk
    -Erasers
    -Dry erase markers, erasers, and spray

Usually schools send out a list of supples for the students, but I always buy the following items just to have in the classroom if needed:

-Extra pencils
    -Extra paper
    -Crayons
    -Markers
    -Scissors
    -Rulers
    -Water colors
    -Colored pencils
    -Tempera paint
    -Glitter
    -Yarn
    -Glue sticks
    -Elmer's Glue
    -Construction paper
    -Velcro

And here's a list of "others" you might consider:

-Games
    -Puzzles
    -Computer games
    -Classroom Decorations
    -CD Player
    -Rugs
    -Furniture
    -Books
    -Plants
    -Cubbies

Ohh, and some items that I sometimes ask for donations on our Giving Tree are:

-Paper towels
    -Hand sanitizer
    -Paper towel/Toilet paper rolls
    -Wrapping paper
    -Clothes pins
    -Old magazines

I'm sure I will think of more, but this will do for now. :) Hope this helps.

6. abequette

abequette Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

WOW! Yes that definitely helps....BTW so do you have to buy your cubbies for your classroom? I was under the impression that was something the school supplied.

7. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Jul 23, 2007

I think it probably depends on the school. My school did not supply cubbies, but the school that I student taught at did-- every room already had cubbies in it. :) Have you gotten to see your room? Just check it out when you see it. If they don't supply them, I'd definitely put it at the top of my "To Buy" list. :)

8. abequette

abequette Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

Thank you SOO Much for your help!

9. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Jul 23, 2007

You're welcome. :) Last year was my first year of teaching and I was surprised that I had forgotten so many things. Oh, and I forgot one already-- Tissues! Ask each child to donate a box on a newletter.

10. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

Jul 24, 2007

abequette, I really would wait to buy as much as possible until you see your classroom and know what the school provides. For example, I teach in a fairly deprived area and we have very little extra money (our PTA gives each teacher just $50 a year), but still, the school does provide almost everything on the top of that list Deb06 suggested - stapler, staples, tape, butcher paper for bulletin boards, paper clips, etc. You indeed might end up supplementing some of that or having to spring for it, but you can always get it after you see where you're at. You don't want to use up your $550 allotment for stuff that's already provided!

For example, kleenex is on our kids' supply list - each child is supposed to bring 3 boxes, so I very rarely need to get extra.
    We have a good supply of construction paper, but I always buy extra glue sticks when they're cheap, like now - that seems to be something everyone runs out of. I also spring for spiral theme books (10 cents each), because I like a class set (all red or blue or whatever) for their math journal and morning journal. And I buy a matched set of 3-hole binders (anywhere from 1 to 10 cents right now) for them to use as poetry folders. But this may be something you decide on with teammates, once you get to the school.

Classroom decorations, i.e. borders, posters, etc., you probably will indeed need to buy - but again, you may find other teachers discarding some ... at the beginning of the year our lounge becomes a collection spot for people getting rid of things they've decided they don't need. I became quite the scavenger when I started 4 years ago. And many of the dollar stores n ow are starting to carry this stuff - in my area, you can get borders, incentive charts, big charts, whats-the-weather sets, name plates and even die-cuts (apples, stars) at Dollar Tree - for a buck, of course. And another thread detailed all the goodies people were finding at Target's Dollar Spot.

The one thing I would say that you might look for, that you can never have enough of in my opinion, is BOOKS. Thrift stores, garage sales ... just keep your eyes open. Last summer I was driving thru a neighborhood and saw a FREE sign and they had about 20 boxes of books sitting there for the taking. I parked and spent an hour pawing through - some of them were really bad and totally useless, but I ended up getting about 30-40 I could use as take-home books for my kids.

I know when you're just beginning you want to get started and feel like you have control over something, but trust me and others who says that it WILL all begin to make more sense, and you'll have a better idea once you see your school and meet your teammates. I was hired 5 days before school started, the night before I had to report for new teacher training in the district, and I just had no idea what I was doing or how on earth I would open a classroom in that short amount of time. But it happened, and hopefully you'll have wonderful teammates, as I did, who will share stuff, lesson plans and support. Good luck!