What Do I DO?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by indigo-angel, Dec 12, 2007.

1. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Dec 12, 2007

Hello all, and thanks in advance for any advice. I am currently a senior in college who wants to pursue a career in education. My major was originally secondary education; I took all the classes, passed all the exams, then came student teaching. For reasons I cannot disclose ( due to confidentiality) I withdrew from student teaching before the semester ended. For this reason, I will not be fully certified. I am planning on completing another semester of coursework in order to graduate with a subject area degree next spring. I can also wait until next fall to try and student teach again at another placement, get certified, and get my degree. The problem is that I am not "up" for waiting another year to student teach. I feel like I should be doing other things with my life, not to mention the financial burden it will bring. I have spoken to differnet people, some of whom advised me to stick it out another year and get certified; some said I should try and find work at a charter/private school. My dream has always been to teach, and I refuse to turn my back on a dream because of a bad experience. I wrote all this here, on this board because I want to hear other teachers' opinions and suggestions. Thanks again for reading all of this.

3. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Dec 12, 2007

If it has always been your dream to teach, then don't let a bad experience ruin that lifelong dream. Sometimes things happen that we don't plan for. Sometimes things happen that delay what we want or feel we should be doing. Heck, I graduated in 1999, moved and taught K for 3 years, and haven't been able to find a teaching job for almost 4 years since I moved back home. But I am not giving up on that dream because I know, and have known since I was a child, that I wanted to teach. Keep going. If this is truely your dream, it will all be worth it.:)

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 12, 2007

I think you can sub for half a year if needed (and if your state allows it) WHILE you finish school. The fall is really not that far away. While you are feeling discouraged now, it's really not that long. Why don't you spend time in some classrooms volunteering, observing, building up your idea bank, etc? Teaching for a year in a private school may satisfy you for a year, but then what happens to your degree? Your certification? I don't think with the way things are going, people will be able to teach uncertified for long! The standards are so high... anyway, tough it out and take some classes that you can draw from later. Are there any other classes you are interested in? Art, drama, foreign language, science? All of those things could help you later. Can you work on another subject to get certified in? The more you have on your cert, the more places you can be employed. Also, is there no way you can do a spring student teaching placement? Must it be the fall? Talk to the counselors at your school and see if there is a way you can do another student teaching stint. There were people in my program who had bad experiences for one reason or another and had to do it again. It happens. They are working teachers now, it just took a little longer.

Stick with it!

5. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Dec 12, 2007

Stick with it! If its your dream, then it is worth it....

check for alternative certification routes in your state..... I have never student taught (I got an emergency certification and my first year in the classroom counted instead of student teaching)

Good Luck!

6. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Dec 12, 2007

Thank you both for your responses! I really appreciate the positive feedback. The thing is, I must wait until next fall because of the way my university does its student teaching placements; applicants apply a semester before. So, I will have to re-apply in the spring. I have actually registered for classes in the spring; a couple more English classes and two other education courses. I have the choice of going ahead and graduating, or waiting and student teaching next August, then graduating. I am also working part time at a school in order to get more experience. You guys are absolutely right about the certification, I might as well stuck it out another year and get myself together in the meantime. Thanks again for the encouragement.

7. Teacher-AK

Teacher-AK Rookie

Dec 12, 2007

I was going to suggest getting a job as a TA, if possible. I read that you're already working part time at a school, but I'm not sure in what capacity. I was a TA for almost 4 years before I got my credential and my own class (3 years ago). It was the best experience I ever had. I was lucky enough to be in an environment where I was practically team teaching without the responsibility of curriculum planning, but if I hadn't had that experience I don't think I'd feel as confident as I do now as a teacher.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 13, 2007

Well, since this is a long-time dream of yours, you can't let anything stand in your way & you should do what it takes to be a teacher. Hopefully, you have a supporting & loving family who will help you during this time of waiting & working through this.