What do I do?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by katerina03, Apr 23, 2007.

1. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Apr 23, 2007

I have a 7th grade student whose brother was killed in a car wreck last weekend. What is the proper thing for me to do? I feel really bad for this student. He struggles in school as it is.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2007

I am so sorry; what a difficult time. The important thing is to let your student that you know what happened and that you care. Allow him to talk about it if he needs to and provide him a safe place to be, either alone or with someone else. He may act out, you need to understand why, but don't need to let him get away with anything. You, your student and his family will be in my prayers.

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 23, 2007

This is horrible. If you feel you can, I would advise you to go to the home - take a cake or some cookies, just go to say that you are thinking of them and wanted them to know. Sometimes people won't go visit after a death because they don't know what to say - you don't have to say anything except "I'm so sorry for what you are going through." Be sensitive; they might want to talk about their son, or they might meet you at the door and say "Thank you" and indicate they really don't want company. But they will never, ever forget that you were there.

If you don't feel you can go to the home, at least call to let them know you are thinking about them, or send a note. We had a teenager in our community die last year in a car accident, and his parents told me they received over 1,000 cards and notes from people they didn't even know, and how much that meant to them. They also received meals for months.

One way you can really help this kid is to provide him with a safe place in your classroom, with a routine that will help him get his feet back under him, and flexibility for the bad days ahead. You will surely be in my prayers as you deal with this. I think you can really be something steady in his life.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2007

Also, get a good kid and Xerox that child's notes for the days the boy was out. You don't have to make a big deal out of it, but it's a small concrete thing that will help him get back on his feet.